Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Why is being old in hip hop frowned upon?

Rap seems to change with every generation or goes through changes. Usually the people that came up in a specific generation of it tend to stick to that as what they see is the best. So the newer version gets shit on. When the new/young people get shit on they fire back with "you old, you dont understand"

Also those other genres tend to need a mf to know how to play an instrument or something and that weeds alotta mfs that would prob contribute to them having this same discussion. For rap, you dont even necessarily have to be good to blow up. Buy some good beats, have a catchy hook...you half way there.

People that came up in the earlier days dont wanna hear that, because there was a different criteria to even get through. You had to have something usually. Now you can do your own shit and throw it on YouTube or sound cloud, and let it spread.

Rap seems to change with every generation or goes through changes. Usually the people that came up in a specific generation of it tend to stick to that as what they see is the best. So the newer version gets shit on. When the new/young people get shit on they fire back with "you old, you dont understand"

Also those other genres tend to need a mf to know how to play an instrument or something and that weeds alotta mfs that would prob contribute to them having this same discussion. For rap, you dont even necessarily have to be good to blow up. Buy some good beats, have a catchy hook...you half way there.

People that came up in the earlier days dont wanna hear that, because there was a different criteria to even get through. You had to have something usually. Now you can do your own shit and throw it on YouTube or sound cloud, and let it spread.

That's a huge part of why old heads don't really fuck with the new cats: There's no vetting process for rappers or producers. The bar was lowered so much that you can now decide you want to be a rapper on Sunday, copy the shit you hear on the radio, write a rhyme by Wednesday, bootleg a copy of FL Studio on Thursday, and using the headset you play CoD with, record the whole shit by the following Sunday and have it online. And it doesn't even need to be good... It just has to sound passable and very similar to the majority of the shit in rotation.

Hip hop is the only genre that gets it right, the fuck I wanna listen to an almost 40 year old popping pills and drinking lean. I'm not interested in old dope heads dropping a wack 16

Thing is at 40 you shouldn't be rapping about that all the time.

Biggie the GOAT but if he was still breathing I sure as hell wouldn't want to listen to him rap today. Hip hop has an expiration date, when you hit your 30's it's time to start the next phase of your life.

Why you even on the forum? Lol if you over 30 and listen.to rap how are you relating to 20 year olds.

Last edited:
Because hip hop is looked at as a young man’s sport and it’s perceived as childish to still be rapping past a certain age, until these rappers get to that age and they’re still rapping word to Cam, Jim and The Game.

I remember when Game and Cam dissed Jayz for being old.

Why you even on the forum? Lol if you over 30 and listen.to rap how are you relating to 20 year olds.

I don't relate or listen to lil/young fuck nigga rapping in today's hip hop. I don't wanna listen to old heads rapping either who hopping on trends

Cause dudes get old but their subject matter stays young. Or they get old and don't modernize the sound of their older subject matter.

Keep in mind that in regards to modern music genres

Hip hop is the youngest....

I feel that Jay Z, Nas etc are the generation of rappers that are proving you can be 40 plus and still drop dope, mature content that the old heads and the youngins can appreciate...

Our genre is still evolving

Believe it or not, younger heads are frowned upon by younger heads.

If you put 10 people between the ages of 40-50 they'll inevitably talk about how wack the new generation is and how it was better in our day.

Hip-hop goes through the same cycle once the current icons of a generation get near 40.

The young generation takes hold and the music goes as such, as the kids age.

Dance music with little subject matter

Dumb out party music with slight subject matter

Indulgent music with emo subject matter

Hardcore music with emo, party, and life subject matter.

Their Pac, Big, Jay, X, Nas, Wu-Tang group gains prominence.

Those icons get big heads and take their status for granted.

The music becomes very materialistic, tho a few classic gems come out this timeframe.

They go Hollywood,.

New music cycle starts with kids calling them oldheads

We are in the indulgent phase at the moment

Dance music era ruled by Soulja and his sound

Dumbout era ruled by Waka and his sound

Indulgent era ruled by Future and his sound

And now you see the push for NBA Youngboy to bring forth the hardcore era. His sound will be the new sound soon.

No one has emerged as an icon yet tho

Back