Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Why is being old in hip hop frowned upon?

The reason why these older veteran rappers are dropping critically acclaimed albums and dayum near classics is because they're being a lot more introspective. Jay-Z 4:44, NaS LIG, Pusha, Lupe T&Y, Rick Ross, etc. If Wayne wants to drop an amazing album he just has to be introspective.

He has a lot to talk about - dayum near dying three times from seizures and drugs, watching his peers pass away, fights with niggas he called family cuz they were stealing from him, relationship woes, niggas telling him he fell off but jacking his whole style to sell the same types of records, Nicki Minaj, Drake, etc. If I were Wayne I'd get Manny Fresh to produce majority of my album, get Swizz Beatz, Kanye, and other producers and I'd focus on more introspective topics. Wayne do that and he can drop a classic.

Pusha album is nothing like 4:44-DW or Nasir

He made dope boy music like he been making.

Ross album tried to be more and it was fire but Push album is the same if he was 28

Mick Jagger 173 1/2 years old and STILL selling out stadiums.

Yet niggas wanna put age limits on hip hop.

View attachment 73928
To be fair, there's a difference between performing old songs live vs recording and selling new songs BUT I agree with the sentiment regardless. Adult contemporary rap/hiphop just needs to become a thing, someone that raps about mortgage loans and going through divorce but makes it sound dope.

Because hip hop is looked at as a young man’s sport and it’s perceived as childish to still be rapping past a certain age, until these rappers get to that age and they’re still rapping word to Cam, Jim and The Game.

To be fair, there's a difference between performing old songs live vs recording and selling new songs BUT I agree with the sentiment regardless. Adult contemporary rap/hiphop just needs to become a thing, someone that raps about mortgage loans and going through divorce but makes it sound dope.

Phonte, Common, etc already do this. Phonte's been droppin joints like this one where he's talking about life shit:

I posted up this joint by Roq'y Tyraid about a week or so ago and it's in the same vein:

It's out there, we just gotta do better to push it

I feel like you already know the answer because that question is becoming redundant and corny. Same with the north vs south rivalry and who killed hip hop type of questions...... Corny topics with predictable responses.

Last edited:
Hip hop is in the process of figuring it out now. Its a young genre so we really are witnessing the 1st generation go.

OGs from the start are dying from natural causes. Most 80s era MCs quit or their careers never took off in the mtv era.

Right now we are seeing the 90s era mcs come into middle age. But they also have the internet on their side.

Will be interesting to see how it goes and how long these guys can keep our attention thru rap. And as we grow older do we even wanna hear them rap.

Hip hop is in the process of figuring it out now. Its a young genre so we really are witnessing the 1st generation go.

OGs from the start are dying from natural causes. Most 80s era MCs quit or their careers never took off in the mtv era.

Right now we are seeing the 90s era mcs come into middle age. But they also have the internet on their side.

Will be interesting to see how it goes and how long these guys can keep our attention thru rap. And as we grow older do we even wanna hear them rap.

I'd love to get another EPMD album. For that matter, give me new music from Special Ed, Eric B and Rakim, Tha Alkaholiks, King Tee, Lootpack, Souls Of Mischief (though they never really stopped dropping music), and the like. Redman has a new album in the works and everything dropped from it so far has been on point.

It has to be said, though: Not everyone needs to come back with another album. We don't really need another Stezo, Cash Money and Marvelous, or Cool Ice album. Back in 2010 KRS ONE and Just Ice put out an EP together and that's about all we needed from Just Ice. MC Serch did a verse on Kurious' "Benetton" basically to say "Yo, I can still put it down" but I don't really think a solo album or another 3rd Bass album would be necessary (but if Serch and Pete Nice can have that chemistry in the booth together then lace us with an EP or something)

Rappers should stop rapping at 30?

So you want the genre to be in a stale state, where the only topics are of relevance to the youth.

Once you hit 30 you have a better understanding of life and the shit that goes with it, before that you’re generally ignorant to a lot of shit even if you feel you’re clued up.

If rappers stopped rapping at 30 these new rappers wouldn’t have gotten game through raps about the shady industry dealings.

A lot of these rappers become a lot more conscious/ better with the social commentary after 30, example Royce.

Imo he’s the best artist spitting period if he stopped at 30 he wouldn’t be on the level he’s at now.

Black Sabbath dropped an album in 2013 and it sold a mil worldwide. His last solo joint from 2010 was a top 10 hit.

I wouldn't say washed, but he could use a new album if he's up to it.
but how old was he toured and dropped that album?

dude has a cult like following

Back