Welcome To aBlackWeb

Why is being Hotep a bad thing?

5th Letter

Mod Squad
Hotep (ḥtp; also rendered hetep[1]) is an Egyptian word that roughly translates as "to be at peace". The word also refers to an "offering" ritually presented to a deity or a dead person, hence "be pleased, be gracious, be at peace". It is rendered in hieroglyphs as an altar/offering table (Gardiner sign R4). The noun ḥtp.wmeans "peace, contentment".[2] Davies (2018) interprets the concept of ḥtp as "the result of action in accord with maat [the proper order of the universe]".[3]
The so-called offering formula begins with ḥtp-dj-nsw "an offering given by the king".[4]
Egyptian ḥtp became Coptic ϩⲁⲧⲡ/ϩⲟⲧⲡhatp/hotp "be content" and ϩⲱⲧⲡ hōtp "be reconciled".[5][6]
Hotep as part of ancient Egyptian names, such as Hotepsekhemwy (ḥr ḥtp-sḫm.wj "the two powers are at peace"), the first ruler of Egypt's Second Dynasty.[7]

Nothing is wrong with the word. It's attached to those over-the-top pro-black people because of their use of it. It's basically become analogous to something like feminazi being used to describe extremist feminists.

Anything wrong with being over the top pro black?

Or you mean those black people who are hypocritical with their actions regarding what they preach?

I think y'all taking it to heart.

People joke all kinds of shit in jest. It's context. Sarcasm.

If a dude been goofy ass fuck for a long time and all of sudden start "dropping knowledge" natural inclination is to clown them with jokes...

People get clowned with jokes all the time.

Niggaz joke around and call me Reverend all the time cuz I go to church. Is there something wrong with a Reverend? Am I actually a Reverend? Should I take it as an insult that people call me Reverend just cuz I take my family to church?

For niggaz who place so much emphasis on words and diction, y'all should know that the term itself is nothing offensive.

Niggaz just be saying it when clowning fake smart niggaz.

No different than calling a nigga Einstein when he say some dumb shit tryna sound smart

I'm just saying. I've always known the word itself meant one thing, but when niggaz got called hotep online, it was because they was smart dumb....

In fact we thought it funnier to call them hotel niggaz

Anything wrong with being over the top pro black?

Or you mean those black people who are hypocritical with their actions regarding what they preach?

What I mean about over-the-top are the ones who basically say that black people did everything and act like nothing bad that has happened to blacks are ever our fault. They are the ones that spread misinformation and exaggerate things to support their idea of the black agenda. I'm all for setting the records straight on black history and black people, but sometimes those people basically swing the pendulum so far that they are essentially doing the same thing that other groups did.

The hypocrisy issue is bad too, but that's not really limited to pro-black people. Basically, all these special interest groups have problems with hypocrisy because they all have people that try to set requirements that are strict that no one can abide by them all the time.

Everybody wanna claim East Africa when they really from the West

This is truth. The crazy thing is that many of us consider it all the same, but genetically, different groups of black Africans like the Bantus, Nilotes, and Khoisan are more different genetically than Euros are from Far East Asians.

Hotep went the same route as slang words like "stallion", "nigger", or "uncle tom".
Some reference in pop culture was made, and in their ignorance, people ran with it.
There are even sub-cultures in America with their own jargon presenting the same issue.

In the case of Hotep, there might be a bit of black-hatred with how it's used now.
I instantly lose respect for anyone misusing it at this point.

This constant changing always made me wonder if American English is harder to learn compared to others.
Americans themselves can't keep up with all of it.

Back