Welcome To aBlackWeb

White Woman Caught Trying To Pass As Black

https://www.newstatesman.com/scienc...-posing-black-instagram-are-kardashians-blame

White women are posing as black on Instagram. Are the Kardashians to blame?
The latest Instagram trend, in which white women alter their appearances to appear more ethnic, has been branded “the Kylie Jenner effect”.

Imagine following someone on Instagram, stalking their posts, watching their daily routine through their stories, feeling almost like you almost know them – and then finding out they’re an entirely different race to the one they appear as in their photos.

Among the latest trends on Instagram is this: white women deliberately wearing darker make-up and retouching and filtering their pictures in attempts to look Asian or black. Screenshots of the online phenomenon were shared by Twitter user WannasWorld, sparking a debate over white women capitalising from racial ambiguity for financial gain.

Model Emma Hallberg is among those Instagram users. In the images she shares with her 188,000 followers, she appears to have a darker skin tone and tight curly hair, and could easily be pass as black or mixed-race. Hallberg receives no less than 30,000 likes for almost every picture she posts on the platform and is a brand ambassador for clothing company Fashion Nova.

In a private message between the 19-year-old and another Instagram user that has since been made public, Hallberg confirmed she is in fact white and that her skin gets “very easily tanned”. She stated that the before and after pictures circulating on Twitter are just “two different pictures taken on different seasons of the year” and denied that she was posing as a person of colour.

The trend, which has been heavily criticised given the long history of objectification and exploitation of black women, has been blamed by some on the Kardashians.

“It’s down to the Kylie Jenner effect”, says blogger and content creator Stephanie Yeboah.

Yeboah told the New Statesman that it is almost “fetishistic in that they want to achieve this ‘exotic’ look in order to attract black men. It seems like it’s all it is”.

The Kardashian family have long been at the forefront of the argument around appropriation. For years Kim Kardashian has been accused of appropriating hairstyles usually worn by black women, despite her claims that she’s “not trying to disrespect anyone’s culture by wearing braids”.

In July, Kim received heavy criticism on social media when she shared photos of herself wearing fulani-style braids at the MTV Movie and TV awards. The choice of hairstyle, which originates from Africa, was made worse by the caption, which simply read, “Bo West” – referring to white actress Bo Derek, who wore such braids in the 1979 film, 10.

In the same week, Kim spoke about the backlash on a panel at BeautyCon LA, stating, “I’ve definitely had my fair share of backlash when I’ve worn braids. I’ve been fortunate to be able to travel around the world and see so many different cultures that have so many different beauty trends.”

Her younger sisters Kylie and Khloe have faced similar criticism. In 2014, Khloe was accused of appropriating her designs for her denim brand Good American from a black woman. She called the accusations defamatory and threatened legal action. One year later, Hunger Games actress Amandla Stenberg called out Kylie for wearing cornrows in an Instagram post, saying “when you appropriate black features and culture but fail to use your power to help black Americans by directing attention towards your wigs instead of police brutality or racism”.

Despite their critics, Kim, Kylie and Khloe continue to profit from the commodification of black women’s bodies, language and mannerism. Kylie's cosmetic label Kylie Cosmetics has sold more than $630m (490m) worth of make up since it launched in 2016. It became a discussion on the American TV talk show The View, with one of the hosts Sunny Hostin, saying: “Kylie made her fortune from using lip fillers and sort of combined that with the lip kits because she had the big lips. Is it cultural appropiation? Is Kris Jenner this evil genius that understands being close to black culture can make you money, but being black cannot.”

But the sisters are not the only stars accused of doing so; rapper Iggy Azalea also often comes under fire for her urban lyrics and image.

In an interview with GQ magazine, the 27-year-old, born Amethyst Kelly in Australia, defended her image, saying: “I’ve been in America since I was 16, I’m about to be 28. America is going to have an influence on me. I live in this country with everybody else. I’m supposed to live here for almost half my life and not be influenced by it? If I’m influenced by it, it’s somehow inauthentic or an act? This is my life.”

As the Instagram trend shows, though, it is not just celebrities who are tempted to appropriate black culture. Nor is it confined to social media: Rachel Dolezal, a white woman with no known black ancestry, made headlines in 2015 for identifying as black, even being made a branch president for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, an American civil rights movement. In 2016, she changed her name to Nkechi Diallo and illegally received $8,847 (£6,600) in public assistance funds.

In May, beauty blogger Nikita Dragun was criticised online after posting a photo on Instagram wearing a bright pink dreadlocks wig. She responded to the backlash on Twitter, stating “my culture is more than just a hairstyle”.

As blogger Arielle the Lion writes, “throughout history in America, white people have shamed people of African ancestry for their looks, hair and body, and have often said those features are ‘undesirable’.” And yet, when they seek to gain, it seems quite the opposite is true.

Ultimately, at a time when racist incidents are on the rise in both the US and Europe, there may be some truth to what social activist Brittany Packnett stated in her tweets a while back, that some white people love black culture enough to copy it, but sadly they don't love black people.

Aight cool but let’s not act like some black bitches don’t want to be white (ie contouring the nose, European wigs, skin lightening, and high-end European brand worship)
*Corey Holcomb voice*

Yes, but black people were conditioned for decades to think whiteness was superior. It's not surprising that some people bought into it. However, the opposite makes no sense.

Plus all the product they apply to look that way gunna age their skin 10x quicker.

Gunna look mid 80s when they hit their 30s.

i know plenty of em from high school....used to be cute as shit but they all cratered out now

i knocked on my old neighbors door kinda early one day, she yelled "lemme put my face on!".......she was maybe 22 at the time

They're not trying to look black and they're to look mixed or exotic.

They don't look like black women to me

White people have some real psychological issues they need to work through as a people. There is something there that is just fucked up. Like this shit ain't normal. They basically spent the last few centuries doing everything they could to denigrate black people. Given that history, something like this, even on a small scale, makes no sense.
White chicks that do this dont care about no damn history

Cardi, nikki and blac chyna along with social media run her life

They're not trying to look black and they're to look mixed or exotic.

They don't look like black women to me

This is what I tried to get at in the other thread I made before it flopped like my cousin at the diving board...when a white woman transforms her look into something exotic or racially ambiguous, does that really count as trying to be Black? Some race scholars are critical of racial ambiguity. Earlier this year we saw Bruno Mars play different angles and audiences and catch flak for it. They're ultimately not Black, but not White, and gain a weird mass appeal. It's like they're trying to build shine by sitting somewhere in the middle ground.

This is what I tried to get at in the other thread I made before it flopped like my cousin at the diving board...when a white woman transforms her look into something exotic or racially ambiguous, does that really count as trying to be Black? Some race scholars are critical of racial ambiguity. Earlier this year we saw Bruno Mars play different angles and audiences and catch flak for it. They're ultimately not Black, but not White, and gain a weird mass appeal. It's like they're trying to build shine by sitting somewhere in the middle ground.

That doesn't seem to apply here. Based on the what's being said, it seems like it's their expressed intent to pretend to be black. Of course they look racially ambiguous. Make-up can only do so much. It would take a lot more than that that to make a white person look like a sub-saharan African.

It doesn't cound as being black and nor should it be we know how a black person looks like

That doesn't seem to apply here. Based on the what's being said, it seems like it's their expressed intent to pretend to be black. Of course they look racially ambiguous. Make-up can only do so much. It would take a lot more than that that to make a white person look like a sub-saharan African.
Where does it say they're trying to be black ? They're clearly trying to be mix and exotic looking and black women needs to stop counting mix chick as black because they're not.On the other hand black woman say mix chic are black when its good then turn around and talk about mix and light skinned chick with colorism

Where does it say they're trying to be black ? They're clearly trying to be mix and exotic looking and black women needs to stop counting mix chick as black because they're not.On the other hand black woman say mix chic are black when its good then turn around and talk about mix and light skinned chick with colorism

Bruh, go back through the topic before you speak on this. There are example pics of some of those chicks doctoring the images to the point where it looks like they have dark brown skin like full blooded non mixed black person. There are also pics showing that these chicks were using black women for the inspiration of the looks they were putting on. Further, the people following them admit to thinking the chicks were black, you think that happened by accident? I'm not saying every chick involved in this phenomenon is trying to look like a Sub-Saharan African, but you're being disingenuous if you're claiming that when they darken their skin, try to make their lips look fuller, enhance their curves/booty, and wear hairstyles or mimic hair texture that you mostly see with black women or women significantly mixed with black that they aren't trying to be black to some degree.

And stop with the mixed isn't black shit. These labels are dictated by the society in which they are used. Sure, if this shit was happening in the Caribbean or South America, you might have a point that mixed isn't black since in those areas they have different labels for various combinations of admixtures. However, once again, you're being disingenuous if you're suggesting that in the U.S. and Western Europe that people with significant African admixtures haven't traditionally been called and treated like they are black. The white chicks doing this are from the U.S. and Western Europe, so if you see them trying to emulate a woman that is only 60-75% black, they aren't making this mixed/black distinction that you're trying to make. They are just trying to look more like the black girl.

Bruh, go back through the topic before you speak on this. There are example pics of some of those chicks doctoring the images to the point where it looks like they have dark brown skin like full blooded non mixed black person. There are also pics showing that these chicks were using black women for the inspiration of the looks they were putting on. Further, the people following them admit to thinking the chicks were black, you think that happened by accident? I'm not saying every chick involved in this phenomenon is trying to look like a Sub-Saharan African, but you're being disingenuous if you're claiming that when they darken their skin, try to make their lips look fuller, enhance their curves/booty, and wear hairstyles or mimic hair texture that you mostly see with black women or women significantly mixed with black that they aren't trying to be black to some degree.

And stop with the mixed isn't black shit. These labels are dictated by the society in which they are used. Sure, if this shit was happening in the Caribbean or South America, you might have a point that mixed isn't black since in those areas they have different labels for various combinations of admixtures. However, once again, you're being disingenuous if you're suggesting that in the U.S. and Western Europe that people with significant African admixtures haven't traditionally been called and treated like they are black. The white chicks doing this are from the U.S. and Western Europe, so if you see them trying to emulate a woman that is only 60-75% black, they aren't making this mixed/black distinction that you're trying to make. They are just trying to look more like the black girl.

If mixed people are not collectively treated like they are part of a lower class of people in the same way as people who are black on both sides, then is being mixed really the same thing?

It seems that there's cases where we would say no, like in hiring.

If mixed people are not collectively treated like they are part of a lower class of people in the same way as people who are black on both sides, then is being mixed really the same thing?

It seems that there's cases where we would say no, like in hiring.

But they are. Yes, colorism exists, but mixed people were treated like shit too. I don't know why some of you like rewriting history. On top of that, why are you acting like all mixed people are easily distinguishable from "nonmixed" black people. African Americans run the gamut when it comes to skin tones. You can't always look at a mixed person and tell that they are mixed. So just stupid. Mixed people were getting strung up down south, discriminated against during Jim Crowe, and murdered by cops now just like full black people. Besides the average African American has about 20-30% white admixture. That's basically a white grandparent.

But they are. Yes, colorism exists, but mixed people were treated like shit too. I don't know why some of you like rewriting history. On top of that, why are you acting like all mixed people are easily distinguishable from "nonmixed" black people. African Americans run the gamut when it comes to skin tones. You can't always look at a mixed person and tell that they are mixed. So just stupid. Mixed people were getting strung up down south, discriminated against during Jim Crowe, and murdered by cops now just like full black people. Besides the average African American has about 20-30% white admixture. That's basically a white grandparent.

Were and are imply two different contexts. If race is socially constructed, and society is changing, then it is not impossible for the concept to change. I'm not rewriting history, moreso harping on the fact that being mixed tends to be perceived more positively, lead to more opportunities, and get more representation.

Back