Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Top 10

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Top 25

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Top 50

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
Around the 12-15 mark... He bought an original style to hip hop (which not many rappers have done), has respect from nearly every MC and was a great storyteller and MC in his own right...

Top 20-25. He only had one great album which still sounds great today 30 years later, that album changed the game and birthed alot of niggas. Gotta be top 25 off the strength of that

2 years later i got him around the 20-30 mark depending on the day. His influence is strong, but his discography is pretty weak.

2 years later i got him around the 20-30 mark depending on the day. His influence is strong, but his discography is pretty weak.
I’m going strictly on music myself.

Like if I was stuck on an island for the eat of my life and I have to pick 50 rappers music to only listen to.

He wouldn’t make the cut

I’m going strictly on music myself.

Like if I was stuck on an island for the eat of my life and I have to pick 50 rappers music to only listen to.

He wouldn’t make the cut

You don't take into acct their influence, impact, etc?

I've never been eager to listen to a Cube album, but I can't ignore this nigga's impact on the game.

You don't take into acct their influence, impact, etc?

I've never been eager to listen to a Cube album, but I can't ignore this nigga's impact on the game.

When it comes to rankings no

Because it would be the same 5-10 dudes when you have to take that into the consideration. I know what ppl like NWA, Run DMC, LL Cool J, Rakim etc did

I just do rankings strictly on what I like music wise.

I thought that what we all was doing to be real

I try to take everything into acct, their impact, their discog, influence, flow, storytelling, content, everything.

I should've requested that from everybody at the top of the tournament to prevent niggas coming in here talkin bout MF DOOM's top 5 :tuh:

I try to take everything into acct, their impact, their discog, influence, flow, storytelling, content, everything.

I should've requested that from everybody at the top of the tournament to prevent niggas coming in here talkin bout MF DOOM's top 5 :tuh:

On a Island with 5 rappers discovery

Who you taking then since it aint all about the music?

On a Island with 5 rappers discovery

Who you taking then since it aint all about the music?

Luckily all my favorite rappers made huge impacts on the game.

Starting 5:

Pac
Hov
BIG
Wayne

Nas & K.Dot tied for 6th man

Luckily all my favorite rappers made huge impacts on the game.

Starting 5:

Pac
Hov
BIG
Wayne

Nas & K.Dot tied for 6th man

Wayne and 3 Stacks over Nas...

giphy.gif

Kendrick on the same level as Nas? Like how? Based off what? Couldn't be music? Niggas must be counting "club bangers" and Putin awards. Is @Goldie and @Kandy the same person?

I just want to add my $0.02 before this thread gets buried.

You guys probably don't remember but Rap/Hip Hop was a huge cultural phenomenon in the early/mid 80s. I'm talking around 83/84. People were making documentaries about Hip Hop (Style Wars, Breakin & Enterin, Wildstyle) Feature films (Beat Street, Break-in) TV shows (Graffiti Rock).

People were getting linoleum or a refrigerator box and breakdancing on the streets for money. And people were getting spray paint cans and tagging up all over the place.

In 1984 Hip Hop was as big it's ever been. If you went into your local drug store to buy a can of soda or a magazine, they'd have a book at the register called; How to Speak Rap Slang with definitions of words like Fresh, Wack and Homeboy. They'd have books that taught you how to breakdance or how to write graffiti. I mean Rap/Hip Hop was all over the place, they had the New York City Breakers perform at the 1984 Olympics. It seemed like everybody was eating and the culture was larger than life.

Then in 1985 everything died out. As it turned out Rap/Hip Hop was just a fad for the major corporations and after the peak was a trough where it all came to an end, with the exception of rap music.

Grafitti and Breakdancing were dead. If you tried to breakdance in 1985 you'd get laughed at. (Incidentally, the movie Krush Groove had breakdancing in it, it was a year too late and that was one flaw in the movie) The New York City MTA started making trains that were spray paint can repellant, so there were fewer and fewer trains with graffiti on them.

Run DMC was on MTV but otherwise the culture died out.

Out of nowhere Dougie Fresh and Slick Rick came out with a double single, The Show & Ladi Dadi. It came out in the summer of 1985, a year after the peak of Hip Hop culture. We had never heard a rapper with a British accent and the beat of The Show was unlike anything out at the time. The Show was the song to get the party started and Ladi Dadi was the beginning of censorship. Those two songs ran the whole summer and put Dougie Fresh and Slick Rick into the Hip Hop Hall of Fame.

There's not too many people that made that big of an impact off one single. But The Show/Ladi Dadi was arguably one of the best singles of the entire 80s decade.

As it turned out, Dougie Fresh & Slick Rick weren't really in a group together. They just recorded that one record and did some shows together. They parted ways and Dougie Fresh did his own thing and Slick Rick went in a different direction. I think Dougie Fresh was more clean and wholesome while Slick Rick was more raunchy and dirty.

Anyway, that record, The Show/Ladi Dadi, came out three years before The Great Adventures...

Just based on The Show/Ladi Dadi and The Great Adventures..., Slick Rick is top 25.

The Show/Ladi Dadi was a huge record!

You had to be there.

Back