Welcome To aBlackWeb

What's The Last Rap/Hip Hop Song That Was Devastating To The Ear?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
I was talking to some younger cats a while back. They were about 10 years younger than me (I'm 45). I was talking about what Hip Hop was like when I was in high school and I mentioned Public Enemy and the song Bring The Noise. They said they didn't really like it.

I was trying to explain how Bring the Noise, along with the It Takes A Nation of Millions... album was unlike anything that was out. Like it or not if you listened to LL Cool J, Eric B and Rakim, Boogie Down Productions, NWA, 2 Live Crew, Run DMC, EPMD, Stetsasonic or any other group that was out in the late 80s, you'd have to agree that Public Enemy sounded unlike anything that was out at the time.

So my question for the message board is; What's the last song (or group) that was devastating to the ear? I mean we all have a pretty general idea what Hip Hop sounds like, but when's the last time a rap song (or group) came out and broke all the rules? I mean a song (or group) that can't be categorized.

Listen to the 3 songs I've posted below and tell me the last time something that was that far outside of the box?

In all seriousness, I'm having a difficult time thinking of a song/group that was shocking like Public Enemy.

I'm not gonna let this thread get buried.

Somebody name a rap song that was the most unconventional song at the time it was released.

I think (the original pre wasteman) Kanye changed the game when he hit the scene with self conscious rapper image, in a braggadocios genre it was pretty game changing and new... He managed to tap into the hood and preppy backpack crowd at the same time...

'Take Freeway, throw him on tracks with Mos Def
Call him Kwa-li or Kwe-li, I put him on songs with Jay-Z'

Not a song but an artist: Volume 10.

Dude sounded like no one on the planet and to this day no one does.

I’ll say One Mic was up there..

I think (the original pre wasteman) Kanye changed the game when he hit the scene with self conscious rapper image, in a braggadocios genre it was pretty game changing and new... He managed to tap into the hood and preppy backpack crowd at the same time...

'Take Freeway, throw him on tracks with Mos Def
Call him Kwa-li or Kwe-li, I put him on songs with Jay-Z'

Yeah, Jesus Walks was pretty unconventional. I wouldn't have expected it to be a hit.

Not a song but an artist: Volume 10.

Dude sounded like no one on the planet and to this day no one does.

That Volume 10 joint is kinda ill. I remember seeing ads for them, but I don't remember hearing his/their music.

Yeah, Jesus Walks was pretty unconventional. I wouldn't have expected it to be a hit.

That Volume 10 joint is kinda ill. I remember seeing ads for them, but I don't remember hearing his/their music.

Dawg... EVERYONE has head Volume 10's shit.

And this joint was me and the crew's anthem in Tha D 'cause we STAYED hittin up the licka stoe.

yeah, that's why I said it wasn't a song or a sound, but an artist.

I'll concede that his rap style is out of the ordinary, but the beat was G-Funk.

Can you (or anybody else) think of a song where the beat was as outside of the box as Bring The Noise by Public Enemy?

I'll concede that his rap style is out of the ordinary, but the beat was G-Funk.

Can you (or anybody else) think of a song where the beat was as outside of the box as Bring The Noise by Public Enemy?

Two albums: El Producto's (El P) "Fantastic Damage" and Cannibal Ox's album "The Cold Vein".

There's nothing that sounds like either album.

Two albums: El Producto's (El P) "Fantastic Damage" and Cannibal Ox's album "The Cold Vein".

There's nothing that sounds like either album.

I still play The Cold Vein all the time. Its such a weird but great album. I still dont understand some of the lines to that shit. I gotta look it up on genius.com lol.

Lil Wayne/Sqad Up mixtape.

Before that, we heard rappers jump on other niggas beats here and there, but never full blown mixtapes killing everybody's hit singles at the time. 50 started doing the same thing with g-unit around the same time. I'm pretty sure 50 and Wayne dropped their first mixtapes a month or 2 apart.

Of course 50 got most of the credit for starting that shit cuz he blew up around that same time, but I was listening to Wayne more.

That shit changed mixtapes forever.

Back