Welcome To aBlackWeb

Was This The Worst Era Of Hip Hop?

Yeah but if you say, "2 Live Crew were never meant to be lyrical" then you can say these new guys, "aren't meant to be lyrical".

You can't have it both ways.

However, I will say that 2 Live Crew was groundbreaking from their dirty lyrics to their use of sub-bass.

If 2 Live Crew represented the average rapper during the era they were popping then that era would have sucked too. The problem isn't that some of these eras have rappers that aren't lyrical. The problem is that lyrical rappers are the minority in some of these eras.

Unpopular Opinion - the quality of production is leagues and bounds better today than it was in the 90s and early 2000s. Some of the things these kids are doing with beats is just incredible.
Naw bruh the og's like Alchemist, Madlib and Just Blaze shitting on the new generation of producers. The only new generation producers worth a shit are Daringer, Jgrxxn, Tyler The Creator, Dj KillaC and Mr.Sisco imo.

Last edited:
Laffy Taffy
Chicken Noodle Soup
King Kong
This Is Why I’m Hot
So Crispy
Party Like a Rockstar
Crank Dat
Dey Know
Stanky Leg
Ice Cream Paint Job
You’re a Jerk
Teach Me How To Dougie
Some of these still fun to play at parties and clubs

But I get Vietnam like flashback from laffy taffy.

That shit single handedly started the demise of hip hop

Soulja Boy, Chamillionaire, etc.

giphy.gif

This the worst by a clear distance you niggas sayin' the ringtone era have lost your minds.

That shit lasted a couple years and even at its worst not every rapper jumped on. This current shit got no end in sight
Nah that shit was the worst.

I don't even think we live in an "era" cause the music being made sounds so different one artist to the next. And the shit being played on commercial radio isn't necessarily what's dominating the industry.

Nah that shit was the worst.

I don't even think we live in an "era" cause the music being made sounds so different one artist to the next. And the shit being played on commercial radio isn't necessarily what's dominating the industry.

Lol you what mate? No it bloody doesn't. Music now is like three different songs (if that) over and over.

And what's on radio definitely is what's dominatin' the industry

Unpopular Opinion - the quality of production is leagues and bounds better today than it was in the 90s and early 2000s. Some of the things these kids are doing with beats is just incredible.

@Sion I can explain why.

Back in the 80s, 90s, and even the 00s there was a saying, "It ain't final til it's vinyl". What that meant is that you could have a song on a cassette tape or a CD, but it wasn't official until you pressed it on vinyl because that's something that takes a budget to do. Not just anybody could make a record and have it pressed on vinyl. You needed money to manufacture the records, and then you needed a distributer. Even if you only pressed, say, 10,000 copies, it would still cost a significant amount of money and you'd have to make that back before you recouped/ started making a profit.

The reason artists/labels pressed music on vinyl is because that's what DJs were using at parties and nightclubs. DJ's used vinyl well into the 00s until mp3s and Serato took over.

Getting to the point. When you make a vinyl record, there's only so much bass you can have on the song. When there's too much bass the record skips. So there was a industry standard of how much bass a song should have. This was so if you gave your record to a nightclub DJ or a radio station, the song wouldn't have any more, or less bass than the two songs before and after your song was played.

Circa 2010 They stopped making records for good. Serato took over and 9/10 of artists and labels saw no need to press vinyl. As a result the records from around 2010 to now have more sub-bass than songs from the 1950s up until around 2010.

Basically if there's too much bass it causes the record to skip, when they stopped pressing vinyl they could use deeper sub- bass.

I wouldn't say leagues and bounds better, but I think you can make the argument that overall the production is better nowadays. An easy counter to that would be the fact that a lot of these song sound very similar musically. Nowadays, rappers jump on whatever trend is hot and producers seem to do the same.

With these new programs like Garage Band, you don't even have to make the beat, you just type in some settings and it makes the beat for you.

With these new programs like Garage Band, you don't even have to make the beat, you just type in some settings and it makes the beat for you.
for real? I never tried to make a beat on garage band before, the most I've ever done was loop a sample, you learn something new everyday

The worse era is now

Ringtone era still had niggas rapping but songs that was hot was party songs

This era though. Niggas actually think they spitting and aint

And what the being said its more great music being made just aint popular

Back