Welcome To aBlackWeb

Wake Forest Basketball Coach Kills Tourist: Death Ruled A Homicide

Chi-Town B

Mod Squad
180809-assistant-coach-charged-tourist-death-feature.jpg

A Wake Forest University assistant basketball coach has been placed on leave following an incident in which he allegedly punched a tourist in New York that led to the man's death.

Jamill Jones, an assistant men's basketball coach at Wake Forest University, allegedly punched Sandor Szabo, 35, from Boca Raton, Florida, outside a Queens hotel early Sunday, police said.

Szabo later died, and on Friday, the New York City medical examiner's office ruled his death a homicide.

Jones, who surrounded to police Thursday, was notified Friday about the school's decision.

Wake Forest's athletic director Ron Wellman gave Jones the news, according to a statement from Wake Forest Athletic Communications.

He "spoke with Jones [Friday] and he agreed that the decision is appropriate at this time given the circumstances," the statement added.

Detectives told ABC News station WABC-TV that Szabo had just left a family wedding on Sunday, possibly while intoxicated, and was walking around banging on cars before pounding on Jones' SUV. He had believed that Jones' vehicle was an Uber vehicle he had booked, authorities said.

Jones emerged from his SUV and punched Szabo, who fell to the ground, hit his head and later died at a local hospital, according to police and court documents.

The medical examiner's office determined that Szabo died of a brain injury due to a blunt impact to the head.

Jones was charged with third-degree assault, but the Queen's District Attorney's Office said charges could be upgraded. His next court date is set for Oct. 2.

“The investigation is ongoing,” said a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office.

Jones' family released a statement Thursday, expressing sadness for Szabo's death and asking for the legal process to play out.

"We would like to extend our deepest condolences to the Szabo family for the loss of their son, Sandor Szabo." it read.

"It is our sincere hope that this matter not be tried in the court of public opinion," the statement continued. "The Jones family stands by Jamill, and his legal right to be presumed innocent in what is, ultimately, a tragic incident."

cant just be stealing on niggas.

sometimes its ok to just walk away and be a bitch for a day.

Give that man 1 year in jail and then come back to wake forest

Drunk cracka bang on your car, you get out, he acting Caucasian

You give him the one hitter quitter

If he dies he dies not the black man fault

His employment with wake forest will be terminated.

Cant be fighting on concrete period..

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do but this can happen

Bolded...Co fuckin sign.

Bein in that situation. You a grown ass man, you see a drunk dude in the street banging on cars. He bangs on your car, take that L n drive away. Fightin w a drunk person irl makes zero sense. Now he gone do time. Tough life lesson to learn. Drunk dude shoulda known tho, never get that drunk. SMH

Bolded...Co fuckin sign.

Bein in that situation. You a grown ass man, you see a drunk dude in the street banging on cars. He bangs on your car, take that L n drive away. Fightin w a drunk person irl makes zero sense. Now he gone do time. Tough life lesson to learn. Drunk dude shoulda known tho, never get that drunk. SMH
he was drunk and no telling what he was trying to deal with

Bolded...Co fuckin sign.

C/S. Once again alcohol played a part in someone's death and incarceration.

Just another reason why I don't like being around people who drink a lot or can't handle their liquor or beer.

Reactions: 1/2
What is with people dying in fist fights lately? Completely making older cats (I being one of them) look silly for saying the problem with the younger generation is that they can't fight.

At the same time, white people gon learn the dangers of white privalege. Who just be bangin on random cars to find an Uber driver who probably already clearly explained what kind of car to look out for...

Seen this couple weeks ago. Is it against the law to protect your property if not then I think the coach neutralize the threat

Lol @ if somebody bang on your window just take the L and drive off

Bitch ass niggas man

And I don't mean you marc but come on nobody gonna do that

Give that man 1 year in jail and then come back to wake forest

Drunk cracka bang on your car, you get out, he acting Caucasian

You give him the one hitter quitter

If he dies he dies not the black man fault

You'd make a great lawyer

Sad all around.

Crazy last week my brother in law was telling me about an employee of his who died after getting punched by a stranger in NY. Had to send flowers in all that shit.

This is him i guess.

Back