Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY wage discrimination and the exploitation of workers in the U.S. labor market thread LATEST: Kellogg Strike

Where are you seeing this.
Saw it in Delaware like two weeks ago.
And here in San Mateo they offering $18.50 at chipotle to start.
Starbucks got dental, vision and tuition assistance.
they all still having trouble finding people.
I’m trying to understand what’s going on.

This was a interesting read and more people should look at this tweet thread. It answers a lot of questions and give you perspective on why most american businesses are shit shows

tweet1.png
edit: for me the embedded image doesnt show the thumbnail, says a broken image, but works when you click it, so idk. Might just be me.

Saw it in Delaware like two weeks ago.
And here in San Mateo they offering $18.50 at chipotle to start.
Starbucks got dental, vision and tuition assistance.
they all still having trouble finding people.
I’m trying to understand what’s going on.
Well those places will have higher starting wages because the standard of living is higher. And you should be old enough to know, if a company in 2021 has trouble finding or keeping employees, its for a good reason. A reason they'll deny or try to hide.

As for places like starbucks braggin about dental, vision and tuition assistance, I heard years ago that that shit is pretty much always misleading af. I'll just use the tuition stuff for an example. They'll advertise they have assistance, or reimbursement, to grab people then when you try and get it, its like mission impossible. So only a small number of people with connections end up getting it.

Years ago my friend worked at apple and they always bragged about that. Then he tried to get it and it was almost impossible. You'd have to work full-time, be working there for a certain amount of time, you couldnt have a set schedule & managers pick who gets the opportunity to get signed up for that program. So basically managers are only picking their friends and everyone is outa luck. But how are you going to be able to go to school full-time while working full-time and also have an open schedule ?

And if you look on places like reddit when this topic pops ups. The comments are full of past workers that give you insight on this stuff and all the fine print that make it impossible for you to get what they advertise.

So I’m seeing fast food jobs.

Fast fucking food jobs for $21/hr

thats like $40k to work at McDonald’s.
That’s like manager pay just to serve.

why is they still short staffed now that people are paying more? Why are people or homeless not taking these jobs?

Im not here enough si help me understand. Is it about contact with the public with COVID ?

If they really wanted to get people in those jobs, they would be hiring all those felons that can't work because they're largely locked out of the workforce because of their criminal record. Give folks a chance to be better and a lot of them will do just that.

As for hiring the homeless, there's been a push to stop requiring a physical address as a requirement to work since at least the late 80's. I remember a number of activists on TV back in the late 80's saying how that one requirement is the primary barrier for homeless people getting into working and off the streets.

If they really wanted to get people in those jobs, they would be hiring all those felons that can't work because they're largely locked out of the workforce because of their criminal record. Give folks a chance to be better and a lot of them will do just that.

As for hiring the homeless, there's been a push to stop requiring a physical address as a requirement to work since at least the late 80's. I remember a number of activists on TV back in the late 80's saying how that one requirement is the primary barrier for homeless people getting into working and off the streets.
Homeless folk can “get an address” via community programs, resources or shelters though.

Sounds like an issue that needs to be solved. But I assuming some need help with ids

hmmmm
Maybe a few of y’all can help me with this.

That's another issue: A lot of homeless people don't have ID's or have them but they're not current...

Needing a "current" ID is kinda stupid though. They treat it as if you're no longer "you" the day after it expires. It ain't like the government gives you a different ID number once it's renewed either, nope you get the exact same number. The only difference is that you paid the government money to get a new expiration date on it.

I had a grocery store cashier try to say she couldn't sell liquor to me 'cause my license had expired and I argued that point with her ass. "So... lemme get this straight... It's me in the picture, it's my current address, my birthdate and everything... but somehow 'cause it expired you're saying it ain't me anymore???"

Back