Welcome To aBlackWeb

True or False???

is putting your child out at 18 a generational curse?

• True

• False

• Hmmmm

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've never in my whole life seen anyone get "put out" at 18

I was away at college when I was 18...had my own apartment at 19 and never moved back home

Most people I know, the narrative is pretty much the same or similar

*In before "ONLY BlAcK pEoPlE pUt ThEiR kIdS OuT aT 18. WhItE PeOpLe aNd OtHeR cUlTuReS AlL LiVe ToGeThEr In OnE HoUsE aNd ThE kIDS sAvE ALL tHeIr MoNeY tO bUy A hOmE aNd AcCuMuLaTe WeAlTh!"

Last edited:
Like ole girl said is this something really happening in mass though? Like child kicked out on ass with no options just cuz 18? If that's the case then yeah

This debate usually comes with, is it a good idea to move out until you married, established.

If you finish college, get a good job, and live with your parents till you 30, you saved a grip. Enough to buy a house in a good neighborhood. If you do that, if nothing else, you set your kid up to go to a good school, which is important as fuck.

Immigrants from overseas usually do this. And its a lot of benefits.

That said, i moved to whole different state at 18. And then kept moving states. Didnt even come back to the state my parents lived in until 31. There was a lot of benefits to me in doing that.

No financial benefits though

Put out? Idk how often that happens but the idea that at 18/19 you need to be out on your own has harmed far too many who believe that in order to succeed you need to struggle and put yourself in a bad position just to show you can overcome

I'm okay with my girls staying at home until 25ish, after that it might be a bit weird, but if they wanna stay at home and just bank bank bank, I'm okay with that too

When I lived in Memphis, I knew mfs that got put out younger than that.

I won’t be doing that to my love bug, that’s just wild and trifling af. I’m making sure she has any and everything necessary to have her own when she’s ready.

I know more that moved out at 16 cuz the home life was shit than ones that got booted out by 18.

I was in college staying on campus at that time. I moved out my folks house when I had reliable job that was not retail and I could afford to live some where other than my folks home. Think I got a place with my friend around 26. Since then, never moved back with them.

Even though my sister and I were coming out of HS with great GPAs with college on the horizon my step dad made us leave the crib everyday from 9-5, on weekdays in the summer like we had a job simply because we finished HS and were considered "grown".

He had been on his own since he was 15 with a kid but when he was 15, times were different and that's what he couldn't understand, or didn't want to.

He was like in that time from 9-5 y'all should be looking for jobs. I'm thinking nigga you can't just walk into a place and get a job anymore. Everything is done online.

I don’t personally know anyone who was put out at 18 BUT their parents did make them start paying bills. I even know a few folks who was helping with bills at like 15-16.

I moved out at 19 but that was my decision.
Is it a generational curse, I think it could be. A lot of 18 year olds aren’t ready for adulthood that fast.

My cousin was put out when she was 18. Unfortunately it happens more than we think.

I think a lot of "generational curses" are starting to change though or be broken

As I've gotten older I've realized how I grew up wasn't exactly the best way things should've been handled all the way to it being fucked up in some areas.

But I'm starting see that change with other black parents. Shit is beautiful to see.

As a man if you don't willingly take care of your kids I can't fuck with you at all. Don't want anything to do with you

Back