Welcome To aBlackWeb

True or False: Did The South Ruin Hip Hop

True or False: Did The South Ruin Hip Hop

• Total voters
Anybody that think the south is soley 100% the blame for the demised of precious hip hop need to frog splash into a cactus

Yes but it's not their fault too many try to swagger jack em so poorly. Including my fellow New Yorkers.

That happened because the sound of the south was the only thing labels were trying to push, so everyone pretty much had no choice but to sound like the south.

That happened because the sound of the south was the only thing labels were trying to push, so everyone pretty much had no choice but to sound like the south.

Thats the thing the labels have to go with whats being made if other regions stayed with their own thing and it was naking money labels would have to run.with it

It ain't over, I still can't believe how any of these niggas got popping but then I remember where they from

AntiqueSolidAzurewingedmagpie-max-1mb.gif

tenor.gif

b299e6aa9ca262aa726f875459fb31ee.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

It ain't over, I still can't believe how any of these niggas got popping but then I remember where they from

AntiqueSolidAzurewingedmagpie-max-1mb.gif

tenor.gif

b299e6aa9ca262aa726f875459fb31ee.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

@Chi-town B you are from Chicago? so How do you feel about Da Brat working and starting her career off with Atlanta & Down South producer/rapper Icon Jermaine Dupri because So So Def is Down South record label?

Jermaine a legend, Brat wouldn't have got to where she was without him but she stayed Chicago when she got on.

Thats the thing the labels have to go with whats being made if other regions stayed with their own thing and it was naking money labels would have to run.with it

That's not true at all. The labels pushed the sound of the south. They paid indies to push radio stations to add those songs to their playlists in order to get spins. If your label didn't have the budget to spend a ton of money on an indie, you got no spins and without that you got no sales. Crank Dat and Laffy Taffy weren't flukes; they both got label backing to get them played nationwide.

The labels created the demand, then would balk at any rapper that didn't fit the mold they created a demand for. "Well... MC such-and-such is what's hot, and you don't sound like him so we're gonna pass on you as an artist" but the label is the reason that rapper's sound is hot in the first place.

Part of it stems from the Telecommunications Act of 1996, that deregulation radio station ownership. The independent radio stations that would have given any artist a shot no longer exist; they're all corporate owned stations run by Clear Channel, Radio One, etc. Payola, in the form of "indie" promoters is the other side of it, so you have a situation where in order to get played you have to have money for spins.

Last edited:
Back