Welcome To aBlackWeb

True or False: Did The South Ruin Hip Hop

True or False: Did The South Ruin Hip Hop

• Total voters
Hip Hop is MCing, DJing, Grafitti and Breakdancing.

When I was coming up in the 80s Rappers had dancers and every MC had a DJ. Sometimes a rapper would have a song on his album just talking about his DJ. When's the last time you heard a rapper talk about his DJ?

When's the last time you saw a video with dancing?

I'm from the mecca too my dude and was put on to culture when I was 4 pushing 5 (1988).

Believe me in 30 yrs I've been more than familiar with the elements. I've also realized that as the culture evolved a lot of the elements faded out. Graf and breakin were first. Then breakin had a brief resurgence in like 2003 only to fall all the way back on the priority list again.

Real DJs were the last piece of the pie to get completely shunned by this point. That happened because of how tech progressed. More simple simon ass niggas got into the grind and dumbed shit down and slowly the artistry died.

Rappers don't make a song like Kane did for Mr. Cee back then because rappers no longer take pride in their DJs. How could they anyway when DJing is no longer limited to artists which is why it's oversaturated and no longer impactful or credible.

That subgenre is filled with nothing but craftmen. Not creatives. Creatives inspire creativity but non creatives inspire non engagement. It's just a very mechanical element at this point not an artistic one.

As for dancing in videos? i don't know. I don't watch music videos but since as I said breakin took a backseat years ago not seeing this in videos anymore is no surprise.

With that said everything that has been posted in here was inspired by what remained from hip hop at the point of their creation for better or worse. So yeah it's hip hop. It's somebody's self expression via rhytm and not so poetic poetry but it still qualifies. Hell some of it even features dancing.

Hiphop culture is based upon more than just lyricism. It's actually an artform consisted of many branches. Dance/dancing is a part of the culture so I'm not understanding how songs created from southern artist, that made/make people dance/enjoy themselves/ has somehow became the major downfall of hiphop's presence today. Doesn't make sense to me.

Some of yall fave rappers (nonSouthern) spit like Dr. Seuss and have been 2 steppin and boppin around since the 90s. The south didn't really become a force until the early 2000s. Ftr, some (of yall) don't even consider early 80s hiphop artists, music, and/or their lyrics that "nice" and deem it as mediocre. But aye, it's the south's fault and that damn Laffy Taffy:foh3:.

Lmao don't be petty, You're better than that....Thought I wouldn't have to say but let me clarify.When We say that South Is Garbage we aren't talking the likes of artists such as Geto Boys, Tip ,Devin the Dude ,OutKast, Luda ,Bun B ect ect

Hiphop culture is based upon more than just lyricism. It's actually an artform consisted of many branches. Dance/dancing is a part of the culture so I'm not understanding how songs created from southern artist, that made/make people dance/enjoy themselves/ has somehow became the major downfall of hiphop's presence today. Doesn't make sense to me.

Some of yall fave rappers (nonSouthern) spit like Dr. Seuss and have been 2 steppin and boppin around since the 90s. The south didn't really become a force until the early 2000s. Ftr, some (of yall) don't even consider early 80s hiphop artists, music, and/or their lyrics that "nice" and deem it as mediocre. But aye, it's the south's fault and that damn Laffy Taffy:foh3:.
PREACH!!

You niggas going to take responsibility for the dumb'ing down of the culture. You say the south took over early 2000's and that's the time shit went to bullshit. That region let any and everybody drop trash without giving a single fuck.

Look at the who's who of wack nigga's

tumblr_ok0fpuGTva1vciti6o1_400.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Most of those nigga's jumped on a wave and all of them are milk carton status. To this day the real MC's can't get a run because mumble rap fucks like Future and all his offspring steady dropping trash.That southern sound even destroyed NY because those dumbasses started using that sound

Last edited:
I'm from the mecca too my dude and was put on to culture when I was 4 pushing 5 (1988).

Believe me in 30 yrs I've been more than familiar with the elements. I've also realized that as the culture evolved a lot of the elements faded out. Graf and breakin were first. Then breakin had a brief resurgence in like 2003 only to fall all the way back on the priority list again.

Real DJs were the last piece of the pie to get completely shunned by this point. That happened because of how tech progressed. More simple simon ass niggas got into the grind and dumbed shit down and slowly the artistry died.

Rappers don't make a song like Kane did for Mr. Cee back then because rappers no longer take pride in their DJs. How could they anyway when DJing is no longer limited to artists which is why it's oversaturated and no longer impactful or credible.

That subgenre is filled with nothing but craftmen. Not creatives. Creatives inspire creativity but non creatives inspire non engagement. It's just a very mechanical element at this point not an artistic one.

As for dancing in videos? i don't know. I don't watch music videos but since as I said breakin took a backseat years ago not seeing this in videos anymore is no surprise.

With that said everything that has been posted in here was inspired by what remained from hip hop at the point of their creation for better or worse. So yeah it's hip hop. It's somebody's self expression via rhytm and not so poetic poetry but it still qualifies. Hell some of it even features dancing.

I'll admit I'm wrong if anybody can name 1 rapper that has a DJ.

Otherwise I'll maintain that Hip Hop evolved into something else that isn't Hip Hop.

And the puppetmasters were so slick that you didn't even notice.

You niggas going to take responsibility for the dumb'ing down of the culture. You say the south took over early 2000's and that's the time shit went to bullshit. That region let any and everybody drop trash without giving a single fuck.

Look at the who's who of wack nigga's

tumblr_ok0fpuGTva1vciti6o1_400.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Most of those nigga's jumped on a wave and all of them are milk carton status. To this day the real MC's can't get a run because mumble rap fucks like Future and all his offspring steady dropping trash.That southern sound even destroyed NY because those dumbasses started using that sound
Trash is universal and every era and region has some trash. What you not gon do is sit up here and call that entire era garbage and then blame the lack of quality/creativity of present day hiphop on one region. Let's be clear, you just don't like any southern artist, period. I don't like most WC music. I could say their influence is to blame for the culture as well. I think E-40 is complete, Great Value, jazz skit skattin garbage, but you think he's a Gawd...that's cool. However I do like PacDiv, Dom Ken, Kdot, and a few more.

Drill music is one of the worst parts of hiphop (imo) and one of the most popular in today's music. We all know the birthplace of that category of hiphop. It's a branch of trap music (southern influences), but it's not the South's fault niggas have been droppin the torch.

I'm more so focused on artistry and the respect of music history. These upcoming so called rap artist don't care to know their history or where the sounds come from. That is what the younger generation of hiphop artists have mainly fallen short of. Blame the uneducated and their lack of knowledge.

Love seeing people mad their boombop didnt cut the evolution change. Proud of my southern music takeover. Go listen to some Big Daddy Kane and tune us out.

Trash is universal and every era and region has some trash. What you not gon do is sit up here and call that entire era garbage and then blame the lack of quality/creativity of present day hiphop on one region. Let's be clear, you just don't like any southern artist, period. I don't like most WC music. I could say their influence is to blame for the culture as well. I think E-40 is complete, Great Value, jazz skit skattin garbage, but you think he's a Gawd...that's cool. However I do like PacDiv, Dom Ken, Kdot, and a few more.

Drill music is one of the worst parts of hiphop (imo) and one of the most popular in today's music. We all know the birthplace of that category of hiphop. It's a branch of trap music (southern influences), but it's not the South's fault niggas have been droppin the torch.

I'm more so focused on artistry and the respect of music history. These upcoming so called rap artist don't care to know their history or where the sounds come from. That is what the younger generation of hiphop artists have mainly fallen short of. Blame the uneducated and their lack of knowledge.

You can have that opinion on who you think is garbage just like I have mine. Don't get me wrong there has been a few diamonds to come outta that trash heap but it's a very slim picking of talent. Drill music is just as trash as the nonsense that the south been putting out, just because it comes from my city doesn't mean I'll defend bullshit

You can have that opinion on who you think is garbage just like I have mine. Don't get me wrong there has been a few diamonds to come outta that trash heap but it's a very slim picking of talent. Drill music is just as trash as the nonsense that the south been putting out, just because it comes from my city doesn't mean I'll defend bullshit
Ofc we can have difference of opinions, it's ok to disagree. At least we both understand that Chicago and the MidWest is to now blame for the pew pew, onamonapia onomatopoeia music that's being played today. Great assessment.

Last edited:
Back