Welcome To aBlackWeb

Top 5 Heavyweight Boxers

How can Frazier not be on Ali level when he was his rival it doesn't make sense. The thrills in Manila was a draw until Joe quit first

Triangle theories in boxing don't work and since you claim to know so much about boxing you should know you should've never even made that point.

If Frazier is in your top 5 cool but that don't mean cause he not in others top 5 that their shit is wrong or invalid.

Maybe Holyfield, but not Lennox. Even Lennox admitted that when he beat Tyson he happened to be coming into his prime while Tyson was out of his. If you watch that fight you'll see that Tyson didn't fight the way he did in the past when at a severe reach disadvantage.

Where did you read that at? There is no fucking way Lennox said he was "coming" into his prime. Lennox turned pro in 1989 how the fuck is he coming into his prime in 2002 and only fought 1 more fight ever in 2003 and retired in 2003. That shit don't add up.

Lennox and Mike were both past their primes when they fought. Mike was just completely done when that fight happened and Lennox had a little left in the tank.

Where did you read that at? There is no fucking way Lennox said he was "coming" into his prime. Lennox turned pro in 1989 how the fuck is he coming into his prime in 2002 and only fought 1 more fight ever in 2003 and retired in 2003. That shit don't add up.

Lennox and Mike were both past their primes when they fought. Mike was just completely done when that fight happened and Lennox had a little left in the tank.

He said it in his interview on the Joe Rogan podcast. Maybe he said he was in his prime instead. The point is he admitted that he was a lot closer to his best than Tyson was to his at the time.

He said it in his interview on the Joe Rogan podcast. Maybe he said he was in his prime instead. The point is he admitted that he was a lot closer to his best than Tyson was to his at the time.

I'm going to listen to the podcast now. I just heard him tell Joe Rogan that he was already thinking about retiring before the Tyson fight. So this prime stuff you saying not adding up.

If a person really follows boxing they already knew both were out of their primes and Mike was well out of his prime.

I consider Tyson's Prime from 20-21 while he was still under Rooney as the youngest undisputed champ of all time.

no other heavyweight started off on a trajectory like that....

you take any other great heavyweight in boxing history at the age of 21.....and ut thm in the ring with a 21-year old Tyson, and it would be clear very quickly just how good he was when he was 100% focused on boxing.

But after Rooney was fired that's when the drugs and women, and fame entered and those things destroyed Tyson before he ever suffered his first career loss. By the time he lost to Buster douglas he was already a shell of himself.

The reason why i hate these arguments, is because no one seems to consider the impact of a good trainer and how focused Mike was prior to all the bullshit...

they just wanna focus on the bullshit.....

The bullshit happened after Rooney.

Wth Rooney, Tyson was the best heavyweight to ever step in the ring

I'm going to listen to the podcast now. I just heard him tell Joe Rogan that he was already thinking about retiring before the Tyson fight. So this prime stuff you saying not adding up.

If a person really follows boxing they already knew both were out of their primes and Mike was well out of his prime.

I'm not saying my wording wasn't off a little, but him thinking about retiring doesn't negate what I said. Not everyone fights until they are washed.

There is a big difference between being washed and not being prime.

That's fair. Like I said, I might have been wrong about him saying he was in or approaching his prime. But my general point was that Lewis admitted that he was closer to his peak than Mike's was to his. I don't know how much of the podcast you watched, but I'm pretty sure he said something to the effect of him and Tyson coming up at a similar time but Tyson peaked early and he peaked late, so when they fought it was a better time for him than Tyson. He was generally complimentary of Tyson all around.

he said something to the effect of him and Tyson coming up at a similar time but Tyson peaked early and he peaked late, so when they fought it was a better time for him than Tyson.
This is my point exactly. I think Lennox was the smartest heavy weight ever... An it constantly showed in his commentary...

He knew that when Tyson was 21 he had no shot what so ever....holyfield said the same thing. He saw Tyson at the looking Olympic trials and it inspired him cuz he saw how far the gap was first hand. And he knew what he had to be to be great.

Them niggaz saw Tyson when he was under Rooney, and they knew they couldn't fuck with him back then. They both have admitted the man they faced was not the man who they saw when he was truly untouchable

This is my point exactly. I think Lennox was the smartest heavy weight ever... An it constantly showed in his commentary...

He knew that when Tyson was 21 he had no shot what so ever....holyfield said the same thing. He saw Tyson at the looking Olympic trials and it inspired him cuz he saw how far the gap was first hand. And he knew what he had to be to be great.

Them niggaz saw Tyson when he was under Rooney, and they knew they couldn't fuck with him back then. They both have admitted the man they faced was not the man who they saw when he was truly untouchable

Cosign.

But then how do you rank him? He was the GOAT from 85-90. Totally unstoppable. But he fought all the way into the 2000s and lost a handful of fights. We can't ignore those fights like they never happened.

The fact remains that Tyson lost to Evander Holyfield twice, who lost to Riddick Bowe twice.

Ali never lost to the same person twice.

Or was the 90s just a competitive era?

Was the 90s more competetive than the 70s?

That's a good thread premise.

I rank fighters based on their best performance.....

For Mike it was Spinks..

Mike tyson from the Micheal Spinks fight. June 27, 1988 IMO is the greatest heavyweight to ever step in a ring.

You put any heavyweight fighter, from any era, on any night of their career in the same ring with Mike Tyson the night he fought Spinks, and they going down....I'm 100% certain of it

Career wise, mike's prime was pretty much over as soon as it started....but on that night he was the best ever....

I think Mike's destruction of his opponents hurts him to some extent. I'm not saying every fight he had was against world class talent, but people want to make it seem like he was just can crushing. He didn't do anything as far as fight selection that any other champion hasn't done. Yes, his people picked some fights that they thought were easy wins for him, but that's typically how fighters are built up. Once he was in the spotlight, they were giving him fights they thought would raise his stock. Those people were considered good at the time. So Tyson goes in there and mauls them and then all of a sudden they weren't that good instead of the fact that Tyson was just that good. That shouldn't matter though because the fact is that he destroyed the opposition. Ali, Foreman, Frazier - they all fought lower tier competition, but none of them put that comp away as easily or as convincingly as Mike, so doesn't that say something about how good Mike was?

Absolutely.

Roy said it best in his rap song..

They got the nerve to say I fought nobodies, I just made them look like nobodies

Yeah people say that Tyson fought bums.

Michael Spinks and Trevor Berbick were legitimate opponents and he knocked them out early.

He really fought everybody that was out at the time and beat everyone easily, until the Buster Douglass fight.

Back