Welcome To aBlackWeb

Top 5 albums for new hip hop head?

703lexus

Ordo Abchao
So if you had to create a list of 5 essential albums that could get someone interested in hip hop, What would they be? It can be straight rap or a mix of rap and R&B. KEEP IN MIND That you don't want to scare that person off, have anything that references too much other hip hop, sounds too old school or will set the bar too high that they will think all other hip hop is trash in comparison (ie this should Not be the top best hip hop albums ever) .

All Eyez On Me
Doggystyle
Atliens
Ready To Die
Graduation

It's hard to not mention some of the Goat albums, the reason they're so good is because they get respect from just about every hiphop fan, whether they're just casual fans, hiphop purists, underground rap fans, etc... they're not just great hiphop albums, it's great music period.

Doggystyle is the first album I would recommend to anybody trying to get into hiphop.

1)NWA - Straight outta Compton: to get the user into the right mindset

2) Ludacris - Red Light District. So the listener knows the balance of comedy, party, lyrics and mood.

3) Danny Brown - XXX. For an understanding of poverty, drugs and hip hop and how they relate.

4) J. Cole - Forrest Hill Drive. For a basis of understanding lyrics and storytelling.

5) Big Pun - Capital Punishment. Advanced class in lyrics, fun and how individual parts of a projects can make something greater when put together.

These are all debatable. But I definitely would want to spread out the field and not give all from the same decade, content and influences. To me There has to be balance between party, hits, storytelling, lyricism and a understanding or background of the culture for a good list to be complete.

Back