Welcome To aBlackWeb

TI and Gucci Debate Over Who Made Trap Muzik

Who Created Trap Muzik

• Total voters
Gangsta Rap originated in the east when Schoolly D (from Philly) dropped P.S.K. back in the early 80s. Ice-T soon ran with his style and incorporated it with west coast sensibilities on 6 N the Morning. Many west coast gangsta rap pioneers including Ice-T himself have acknowledged this.

I know that history, but just like with the subject of this topic, if you ask others, they will say really wasn't the sound associated with what blew up to be Gangsta Rap as we know it, and that was instead started by NWA or another contemporary.

I know that history, but just like with the subject of this topic, if you ask others, they will say really wasn't the sound associated with what blew up to be Gangsta Rap as we know it, and that was instead started by NWA or another contemporary.

Fair spit but Boyz-N-Tha-Hood also ran with Schoolly's style and it's the foundation of NWA's sound

Fair spit but Boyz-N-Tha-Hood also ran with Schoolly's style and it's the foundation of NWA's sound

True, that just supports my point. It's hard to pin down who started a trend. Is it the first act to do it or is it the act that best represents and is most influential on the trend. Another example is Mafia/Drug rap. Most people know that Kool G Rap was probably the first to really get down with that style. Even Raekwon admits that. However, at the same time, most people also know that OB4CL was the seminal work in that subgenre and was really what kicked of the trend. It's pretty much the same situation as with TI and Gucci. The only difference is Kool and Rae wouldn't be stupid enough to argue about. They both would and have given each other their due credit.

True, that just supports my point. It's hard to pin down who started a trend. Is it the first act to do it or is it the act that best represents and is most influential on the trend. Another example is Mafia/Drug rap. Most people know that Kool G Rap was probably the first to really get down with that style. Even Raekwon admits that. However, at the same time, most people also know that OB4CL was the seminal work in that subgenre and was really what kicked of the trend. It's pretty much the same situation as with TI and Gucci. The only difference is Kool and Rae wouldn't be stupid enough to argue about. They both would and have given each other their due credit.

Well you know Tip and Wop dont really fuck woth each other...so thats probably why they not just tipping thier hats in respeck

Let me take this a bit further. Tbh TI was spittin that trap house shit since his first album "im serious", then "trap muzik" then came "urban legend". All before Gucci dropped his first album.

TI and Toomp bought the land

Jeezy and Shawty Redd cleared the land and laid the foundation

Gucci and Zaytoven built and decorated the house that all the current niggas live in.

Id even venture to say that Future and Metro added a room...maybe even a new wing to The Trap House

What's the consensus here? Does subject matter or the sound make trap music what it is? If it's subject matter then T.I. doesn't really have a leg to stand on.

Here's a song from Cool Breeze from 1999 well before TI hit the scene that is all about setting up and managing a trap.

Now if the sound is what defines trap music then Gucci might have a better claim.

TI and Toomp bought the land

Jeezy and Shawty Redd cleared the land and laid the foundation

Gucci and Zaytoven built and decorated the house that all the current niggas live in.

Id even venture to say that Future and Metro added a room...maybe even a new wing to The Trap House

Send this shit to Tip on Instagram.

Ok i always thought trap was basically drug rap with a southern sound. Plenty did it before t.i. and gucci but maybe they didnt use the term.

Honestly it's all the same shit subject matter wise. "Trap" was just a term/name for that lifestyle. You listen to "Feds In Town" or "Pocket Full of Stones Pt.2" by UGK, the content is no different from what you heard from Tip, Jeezy or Gucci. You can classify it as "Trap" but it really ain't. But it definitely was inspiration for Tip an'em/the genre.

Back