Welcome To aBlackWeb

TI and Gucci Debate Over Who Made Trap Muzik

Who Created Trap Muzik

• Total voters
TI gave it a lane

Jeezy gave it a sound

Everyone else fell in line.

TI the spearhead tho imo

Truth be told I never heard of Gucci until the internet. No one I knew was playing Gucci back then now everyone wanna act like they been on. Samething happened with Wayne, UGK, Cole......

Agree with the bolded, but the 2nd part just has to do with where ya from.

I'm born and raised in Atlanta so I saw this shit form right before my eyes. When Jeezy came out w/ Trap or Die EVERYBODY in the city was phuckin' wit it immediately (although he had "Come Shop With Me" in 03 he was still on his Trick Daddy flow then and nobody paid that much attention, but that's another story).... Gucci came out 2 months before Thug Motivation 101 w/ "Trap House", but since Trap OR Die already dropped earlier that year (05) and TM 101 was the biggest thing since sliced bread it kinda overshadowed Wop, BUT slowly but surely Trap House started getting a whole lot of buzz b/c people started realizing the album was HARD!

To put it simply, Gucci was making big headway in the South after his album dropped and he started puttin' out mixtapes (EA SportsCenter, No Pad No Pencil, Chicken Talk etc.) of str8 Trap (quality) street shit.

U being in Chicago I can understand why you caught on late, but I'm pretty sure there are people who knew about him back then in the Chi albeit a small percentage.

To be clear on who created "Trap Music"

I'd give that to A-Dam-Shame and Ghetto Mafia. They coined that term on wax and even had songs with the name "Trap" in it. They came out a few/several years before and but they were pretty much regional.

Besides that, Tip put the word Trap on a national level. "Dope Boyz (in the Trap)" on I'm Serious and of course "Trap Muzik". Thats irrefutable IMO.

But like Chi said I feel like Jeezy AND Gucci (producers Shawty Redd, Zay and Mike Will (long before Mike Will Made It was even a tag)) gave Trap it's sound @ it's core.

The question is open ended and not an easy one to answer @ the end of the day.

Project Pat made trap music

I agree @genocide_cutter, but people made music about selling dope long before him too.

I think what the question is stating/asking is who was the FIRST to rap about the "Trap" (using that term) on record on a consistent basis.... @ least I think that is what's being debated. lol

Last edited:
Agree with the bolded, but the 2nd part just has to do with where ya from.

I'm born and raised in Atlanta so I saw this shit form right before my eyes. When Jeezy came out w/ Trap or Die EVERYBODY in the city was phuckin' wit it immediately (although he had "Come Shop With Me" in 03 he was still on his Trick Daddy flow then and nobody paid that much attention, but that's another story).... Gucci came out 2 months before Thug Motivation 101 w/ "Trap House", but since Trap OR Die already dropped earlier that year (05) and TM 101 was the biggest thing since sliced bread it kinda overshadowed Wop, BUT slowly but surely Trap House started getting a whole lot of buzz b/c people started realizing the album was HARD!

To put it simply, Gucci was making big headway in the South after his album dropped and he started puttin' out mixtapes (EA SportsCenter, No Pad No Pencil, Chicken Talk etc.) of str8 Trap (quality) street shit.

U being in Chicago I can understand why you caught on late, but I'm pretty sure there are people who knew about him back then in the Chi albeit a small percentage.
03......I was in Hawaii chopping it up with ppl from everywhere. We was getting mixtapes mailed to us from or our respective areas and again, no one I hung with was fucking with Gucci.

I can agree its regional to a certain extent but I grew up on No Limit and I heard and Bia Bia in what 01? The Chi more diverse than some of these other cats make it out to be.

Either way, when I think Trap I think TI but I'm biased cause I always fucked with Tip. Gucci just now starting to sound like a credible artist to me.

T.I. wit Trap Muzik and Jeezy wit Trap or Die are the first time I heard in anything in rap wit "trap".

But let's not act like Cool Breeze didn't exist

This. I been saying forever, that T.I. basically just took Cool Breeze's style and made it popular. The difference in Cool didn't pigeon hole himself like that, so every verse he spit wasn't about the trap. Cool Breeze is also the one to universally come up with the term "Dirty South."

South niggas can't even make up y'alls mind who started Trap Music.

:lolfoh:

That's because no one person started it. It's like Gangsta Rap. You can go to the West and it's difficult to say who started that. There many people who were the first to do different aspects of it, but who actually started it? You'll get different answers to that too.

Can't gamble feeding baby on that dope money
Might not always be sufficient but the
United Parcel Service & the people at the Post Office
Didn't call you back because you had cloudy piss
So now you back in the trap just that, trapped
Go on and marinate on that for a minute
-Big Boi

This was my first time hearing about the trap and I believe it was before both TI and Gucci, am I wrong?

Can't gamble feeding baby on that dope money
Might not always be sufficient but the
United Parcel Service & the people at the Post Office
Didn't call you back because you had cloudy piss
So now you back in the trap just that, trapped
Go on and marinate on that for a minute
-Big Boi

This was my first time hearing about the trap and I believe it was before both TI and Gucci, am I wrong?

You aren't wrong

Didn’t know shit about a trap or ATL shit like that until TI. I will say this, Jeezy took that shit and went harder in that lane than TI did IMO. At one point everyone had them damn snowman long T’s in my hood.

Nigga even out here in NYC we fucked with TM101 and later The Recession hard. Jeezy's status was undisputed back then. I do have to say though that in the landscape of modern trap rap Future basically drove down Gucci's lane while tweaking the pavement. So Gucci not T.I. is the pappy.

Could you give me an example, I've always been a lyrics guy and just appreciated the beats as the assist to good rhymes and never learned the specifics like that.

So when you say the drums in southern beats, ion understand. There's drums in all of hiphop, what's an 808 beat sound like?

Used in old Rick Rubin, Ant Banks (Too $hor), Bomb Squad and Dr. Dre beats.

Dre even revisted his 808 roots on The Game's How We Do.

I think gucci is confusing the current sound of trap music as the origins of trap music. He is definitely the father of this style of trap music but T.I. started the whole sub genre

This. I been saying forever, that T.I. basically just took Cool Breeze's style and made it popular. The difference in Cool didn't pigeon hole himself like that, so every verse he spit wasn't about the trap. Cool Breeze is also the one to universally come up with the term "Dirty South."

That's because no one person started it. It's like Gangsta Rap. You can go to the West and it's difficult to say who started that. There many people who were the first to do different aspects of it, but who actually started it? You'll get different answers to that too.

Gangsta Rap originated in the east when Schoolly D (from Philly) dropped P.S.K. back in the early 80s. Ice-T soon ran with his style and incorporated it with west coast sensibilities on 6 N the Morning. Many west coast gangsta rap pioneers including Ice-T himself have acknowledged this.

03......I was in Hawaii chopping it up with ppl from everywhere. We was getting mixtapes mailed to us from or our respective areas and again, no one I hung with was fucking with Gucci.

I can agree its regional to a certain extent but I grew up on No Limit and I heard and Bia Bia in what 01? The Chi more diverse than some of these other cats make it out to be.

Either way, when I think Trap I think TI but I'm biased cause I always fucked with Tip. Gucci just now starting to sound like a credible artist to me.

Oh I know Chicago is diverse when it comes to rap/hip-hop as are most Midwestern cities b/c yall pick up on everything on the East/West/3rd coast and the South.

In 03 Gucci wasn't out yet, he came on the scene in 05. His stardom didn't happen immediately it was a slow burn. Did you ever hear any of these songs back in the day.....

These shits (and more songs I didn't post) had the whole city bumpin' back then!

Back