Welcome To aBlackWeb

TI and Gucci Debate Over Who Made Trap Muzik

Who Created Trap Muzik

• Total voters

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
When Gucci Mane took to Instagram on Saturday to proclaim himself "The Inventor of Trap Music", naturally there was quite a shock throughout the hip-hop community. Trap music is far and away the most popular and influential genre of rap music right now, and most of its biggest artists credit Gucci Mane for their success.

With the Instagram post, Gucci stated that his 2005 album Trap House was the original trap rap album. However, T.I. wasn't going to take that statement lying down, and took to Instagram today to stake his own claim as the inventor of trap music.

The photo, a screenshot of the Wikipedia entry for T.I.'s second album Trap Muzik, clearly shows its August 19, 2003, release date. So if we're talking purely about hard facts, then Tip has Gucci beat by two years. He captioned the post, "Ok,so.... AGAIN for the slow ones in the back... August 19th,2003 Birth of Trap Muzik & Only fools dispute facts!!! FOH wit that Christopher Columbus ass... “Look what I discovered,even though they was already here ass shit!!!!” WITCHO GOOD CAPPIN ASS ."

T.I. makes some bold claims here, but he may have a point. However, music genres aren't set in stone. They take bits and pieces of inspiration from everywhere, so in most cases it's difficult to say who exactly invented a specific genre of music. Listening to some of the singles off Trap Muzik, only the faintest hints of what modern trap music has become are present. What's really important now isn't who invented the genre, but who is continuing it's legacy by evolving the genre, just like Gucci and T.I. both have.

valid argument on both sides

Tip didnt coin "trap" but his album came out first so he has the title part won.....its all kinda songs on there tho....its a legit rap album

Gucci on the other hand can make his claim based on his sound and thats all he does, its his thing it just fits him.....and thats the sound thats still being copied to this day

Both pioneers of trap but sound nothing alike

Honestly when somebody just randomly says trap music, I think Gucci *shrugs*

I think the first person i heard use the term "trap" in reference to selling dope, is T.I....but i think Gucci sold more dope than T.I in real life though...

He ain't wrong. TIP brought it to mainstream with "Dope Boyz" in 2001, then the album/term "Trap Muzik" in '03. Jeezy and Shawty Redd gave it a signature sound and blew that shit up. Nigga had kids suspended from school wearing snowman t-shirts. lol! I just consider wop the A&R of it. *shrugs*.

There were niggas before them talking about that lifestyle like UGK, Three-6, Master P, Ghetto Mafia even Outkast referred to the "Trap" couple times.

Last edited:
Big Boi - SpottieOttieDopalicious (1998)

The United Parcel Service and the people at the post office /
didn’t call you back because you had cloudy piss /
So now you back at the trap just that, trapped /
Go on and marinate on that for a minute.

TI gave it a lane

Jeezy gave it a sound

Everyone else fell in line.

TI the spearhead tho imo

Truth be told I never heard of Gucci until the internet. No one I knew was playing Gucci back then now everyone wanna act like they been on. Samething happened with Wayne, UGK, Cole......

Like drill music in Chicago has a certain rhythm to the beat and a certain way you flow over the beat, that it's distinctive enough to give it a name.

I'm not sure what's a trap beat and a trap flow? Is two chains flow "trap" flow?

I ask cause I'm not really a fan of neither of TI or Gucci and I'm tryna understand the debate y'all are having

Like drill music in Chicago has a certain rhythm to the beat and a certain way you flow over the beat, that it's distinctive enough to give it a name.

I'm not sure what's a trap beat and a trap flow? Is two chains flow "trap" flow?

I ask cause I'm not really a fan of neither of TI or Gucci and I'm tryna understand the debate y'all are having
For me, trap music is a drug dealers lane over banging 808’s

Reactions: 1/2
I'm not trolling when I say this, honestly I'm not. What is 808's, could you please give me an example? Once again, I am not at all trolling.

yo bro you know them drums you usually hear in some down south trap shit? lol Those are 808s
Could you give me an example, I've always been a lyrics guy and just appreciated the beats as the assist to good rhymes and never learned the specifics like that.

So when you say the drums in southern beats, ion understand. There's drums in all of hiphop, what's an 808 beat sound like?

Could you give me an example, I've always been a lyrics guy and just appreciated the beats as the assist to good rhymes and never learned the specifics like that.

So when you say the drums in southern beats, ion understand. There's drums in all of hiphop, what's an 808 beat sound like?

:hahaha:yo fam, if one of you niggaz don't just post a fucking beat..you ask me what a dre beat sound like

Boom..someone post an 808 beat

Back