Welcome To aBlackWeb

them scientific questions that always bother you.

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
I always have tons of questions.

help a nigga out if you can.

Is space infinite? like does it have an edge?
and if it has an edge...then it must be something bigger than it.
and because we cant see everything in space because some light didnt reach eary yet...does that mean we are limited in an unlimited force?

what the fuck is space?
what is time?
and what is the space/time continuum?

is a black hole the drain of this whole shit and once it swallows up everything it just blows up and creates everything once again?

did you ever really look at the sky?

am i the only one who takes the size of things into consideration?
when i look a the size of the lakes here.....but then look at the country map...its really small. but compared to the rest of the world...you can barely see the country. but then to think about how small the earth is in the solar system and how the solar system is in the galaxy and so on.

i swear i cant stop reading shit to get answers and only come up with more questions,

i cant be the only one who thinks like this,

now lets get to talking science.

Apparently there is an edge of space, but it keeps getting larger and larger. Dont know why. Just heard someone smart say it.

Apparently there is an edge of space, but it keeps getting larger and larger. Dont know why. Just heard someone smart say it.
i have also heard that the universe is expanding...but how do we know?
are we just seeing objects move and made an assumption? because you can say something is grown if you dont know when it begins and ends in order to measure the growth?

and if space is expanding...what is the space outside of it that its expanding within?

I think they say its expanding cuz everything is moving farther and farther apart, which could only happen I guess if the 'space' those objects occupy was expanding

This the age of aquarius now, a humanitarian age, a new consciousness. A long process like evolution. The fast track to awareness.

These answers are off the top of my head, so they aren't the best. I've been away from academia for a long time.

Is space infinite? like does it have an edge? The current prevailing theory is that the universe has an edge. The edge is defined by the front of what was released from the Big Bang.
and if it has an edge...then it must be something bigger than it. There may be something outside of the universe, but we have no idea what. Some theories say there are other universes outside of our universe. Others say there is only nothingness.
and because we cant see everything in space because some light didnt reach eary yet...does that mean we are limited in an unlimited force? I'm not sure what you're asking here. Our ability to perceive what is out there is limited. That is true. No theory really says that anything is truly unlimited as far as I know.

what the fuck is space? It depends. The term "space" really just refers to everything outside of earth. It's called that because the universe really is mostly empty space. There is a concept called spacetime. Space isn't really just empty nothing. What seems to be nothing can be altered. We know that for a fact. Space can be warped by forces like gravity.
what is time? Time is relative. Commonly, we measure time in terms of cyclical events. Our days are rotations of the earth, years are revolutions around the sun, a second corresponds to the vibrations of an atom, etc... However, from a physics standpoint, time is really a measure of entropy. Entropy is essentially the tendency of things to move towards chaos or degradation. Time essentially points in the direction of increasing entropy.
and what is the space/time continuum? That term basically refers to the connection between time and space. From a mathematical standpoint they are interdependent. You can describe events in terms of how space is effected as time increases. That's what's standard for us as humans. However, you can also describe a point in time in terms of how it happens as space changes.

is a black hole the drain of this whole shit and once it swallows up everything it just blows up and creates everything once again?
No. Black holes are limited in how much they can consume and they also die out eventually due to emitting Hawking radiation. So the idea that one could swallow up everything is unfounded. That said, there are theories that black holes are connected to white holes at other places in the universe that emit everything that the black holes swallow.

did you ever really look at the sky? I'm sure everyone has done that at some point.

am i the only one who takes the size of things into consideration? Most people have a hard time really understand the scales involved in the universe.
when i look a the size of the lakes here.....but then look at the country map...its really small. but compared to the rest of the world...you can barely see the country. but then to think about how small the earth is in the solar system and how the solar system is in the galaxy and so on.

i swear i cant stop reading shit to get answers and only come up with more questions,

The kinda mindset is what makes a good scientist.

Reactions: GNS
if white holes do exist, then that would in theory be a wormhole if they are connected.
but i would assume the way nature works that things are not wasted......so to have infinite amounts of space going unused and a black hole tearing apart galaxies only to spit the energy out at another end......kinda sounds like a waste of energy and space.
i dont think i seen many examples of nature being wasteful.

i think if people truly understood scale , they would understand that so much shit is really minuscule on the grand scheme of things. but thats just me.

i also have a hard time believing in evolution.

we have so many species of things....all this evolved from 1 cell? that doesnt make sense. that would 1 hell of a mutation scale.

and speaking of gravity.....is it even real? can it be a myth? can it truly be the most powerful thing in the universe next to compound interest? some say its the weakest and the nuclear and electromagnetic is more powerful. I guess thats why magneto is the shit.

back to space....say i have a room...i put furniture in it. If i start off with all the furniture in the middle and slowly move it outwards....does that mean the room is expanding? of does it mean just the furniture is moving and it may give the illusion of more space?
space is always something that fascinated me. space and cancer with a few other things.

the big bang......i always thought this was interesting. i often heard two theories.
one was an explosion of energy from a single point
and two balls hit each other and exploded thus creating all we see.

which then goes back to my point of space and being as infinite as it is......what the hell was a ball doing just sitting there? in grand infinite emptiness.

everything has a beginning....i would love to know ours and others. and the only way to find out it to understand their are things much greater than us and respect it.

I once made a thread about if you would want to be immortal. this is one of the main reasons i would want to live forever. fuck love. i seek knowledge.

Is space infinite? like does it have an edge?
and if it has an edge...then it must be something bigger than it.
and because we cant see everything in space because some light didnt reach eary yet...does that mean we are limited in an unlimited force?

what the fuck is space?
what is time?
and what is the space/time continuum?

did you ever really look at the sky?

am i the only one who takes the size of things into consideration?

Ok i havent been to college in over 10 years but i'll try to help as much as I can

"Is space infinite?"

Thats a tricky question. As far as I know theres no definitive answer because its so massive.However based on most scientific data it is considered infinite.

Space does have an edge..which keeps expanding. This is due to the big bang. The universe exploded from a single dense point of mass and it keeps expanding from that explosion 13.8 billion years ago.

"and because we cant see everything in space because some light didnt reach eary yet...does that mean we are limited in an unlimited force?"

Yes we are very limited unfortunately.

"what the fuck is space? what is time? and what is the space/time continuum?"

space in the most simple terms i can think of is just the distance between any 2 points on a plane. For example take a piece of paper, the distance between the top and bottom of that paper is the papers space

Time is more tricky but the easiest way to look at it is this: you know how if you flip a bunch of images real fast it creates animation? well think of time as each individual image.

as far as space time continuum, the 2 are directly related. You cant have a animation without either the image (space) or series of images that make the animation (time)

"is a black hole the drain of this whole shit and once it swallows up everything it just blows up and creates everything once again?"

No. A black whole is when a star that is insanley massive that it collapses on itself. Think of it like this: you have a big ass trampoline. If you put a 2 pound dumb bell in the center of the trampoline then it will start to sink a bit but not much. now lets put a bowling ball at the center of the trampoline, it will sink deeper into the trampoline and anything close to that bowling ball will get sucked down with it.

the more massive the wieght the deeper it would sink. I hope that example makes sense

"did you ever really look at the sky?"

Nah im so fly the clouds are beneath me

OK...the dense point has to be somewhere.
And if space expands....again. What is it expanding into? Space?
You need space to grow.

So if space is everywhere....when is it somewhere. And can it be nowhere and somewhere even tho its everywhere? Because the "where" has to be defined.

OK...the dense point has to be somewhere.
And if space expands....again. What is it expanding into? Space?
You need space to grow.

So if space is everywhere....when is it somewhere. And can it be nowhere and somewhere even tho its everywhere? Because the "where" has to be defined.

No one knows whats on the outside of the universe. Its possible that as we expand there's a neighboring universe that is shrinking because we are taking over its "space" or its possible that outside our universe the laws of physics works differently so that space has different rules of expansion.

i also have a hard time believing in evolution.

we have so many species of things....all this evolved from 1 cell? that doesnt make sense. that would 1 hell of a mutation scale.

and speaking of gravity.....is it even real? can it be a myth? can it truly be the most powerful thing in the universe next to compound interest? some say its the weakest and the nuclear and electromagnetic is more powerful. I guess thats why magneto is the shit.

back to space....say i have a room...i put furniture in it. If i start off with all the furniture in the middle and slowly move it outwards....does that mean the room is expanding? of does it mean just the furniture is moving and it may give the illusion of more space?
space is always something that fascinated me. space and cancer with a few other things.

which then goes back to my point of space and being as infinite as it is......what the hell was a ball doing just sitting there? in grand infinite emptiness.

My understanding with evolution is that we didnt come from one cell but alot of things evolved from singular celled organisms. So its not like every animal can all be traced back to the same cell but rather all humans can be traced back to a certain organism or similar organisms..and birds can be traced back to a single organism which is a different organism that humans evolved from.

As far as your question about gravity...I'm not sure what you mean by "is it real?" what other explanation do you have for things falling at a constant rate?

in this question the room is not expanding. the only way for the room to expand is if all the walls in the room move further away from each other.

Also, with the universe expanding ....his fast is it expanding?
We cant measure it...because we need to understand a starting point and a stationary point in order to proper track the speed with what we know is true about speed which is the time between the points. But what if its expanding faster than light. And with the observable universe only visible to us due to the light we see....how much light won't ever reach us and has any of the light we see now further than we originally thought?

And if space has an ending. Is it the ending of our dimension and the beginning of a new one?

Let's talk about dimensions also.

the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light. It is possible to measure how fast it expands you dont need a stationary point you can measure how fast 2 galaxies are drifting from one another. Even if its not an exact measrument it gives you a good approximation

if 2 cars where driving away from each other niether car is stationary but based on how fast they travel away from each other you can determine their speeds.

Is the ending of our universe the ending of our dimension? in some ways i think yes.

our universe has 4 dimensions, x,y,z and time. its possible that there are other timelines which would be another dimension becuase its in another universe

the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light. It is possible to measure how fast it expands you dont need a stationary point you can measure how fast 2 galaxies are drifting from one another. Even if its not an exact measrument it gives you a good approximation

if 2 cars where driving away from each other niether car is stationary but based on how fast they travel away from each other you can determine their speeds.

Is the ending of our universe the ending of our dimension? in some ways i think yes.

our universe has 4 dimensions, x,y,z and time. its possible that there are other timelines which would be another dimension becuase its in another universe
You can't tell how fast cars are going by them speeding away from each other without point a and point b.
You need two points to determine speed or the time between the two points which equals speed.

Now as far as measuring distant galaxies. When are a bit ignorant to all properties in the universe.
We are assuming light keeps a constant speed. We are not taking into consideration that light can be bent yet seem still straight. That in itself makes our idea of the speed of light false an only consistent in the vacuum of our limited knowledge.

You can't tell how fast cars are going by them speeding away from each other without point a and point b.
You need two points to determine speed or the time between the two points which equals speed.

Now as far as measuring distant galaxies. When are a bit ignorant to all properties in the universe.
We are assuming light keeps a constant speed. We are not taking into consideration that light can be bent yet seem still straight. That in itself makes our idea of the speed of light false an only consistent in the vacuum of our limited knowledge.

I mean measuring the speed at which the universe is expanding must require the highest levels of physics and mathmatics, well beyond my scope, but how do you know that they arent taking into account the bending of light?

to go along with the car analogy point A would be the first time you see the 2 cars speeding away and point B would be the second time you see the cars and subtract the difference in distance between the two cars. So you could do the same with galaxies and as I said earlier its probably an approximation not an exact measurment

I mean measuring the speed at which the universe is expanding must require the highest levels of physics and mathmatics, well beyond my scope, but how do you know that they arent taking into account the bending of light?

to go along with the car analogy point A would be the first time you see the 2 cars speeding away and point B would be the second time you see the cars and subtract the difference in distance between the two cars. So you could do the same with galaxies and as I said earlier its probably an approximation not an exact measurment
I don't know. But to say its constant with all it goes thru would make the constant false.
The only waybif can be true is if its measured constantly....not over a limited distance under controlled circumstances.
Sounds crazy I know but do we really know that the rules of our understanding equal the rules in another places?

I appreciate the heat you bringing.
Much respect and I want all the smoke.

You can derive the speed of light from the equations describing how electricity works. You get a constant number that doesn't depend on how fast you're moving, so if the equations are accurate the speed of light must be constant.

At some point science is a bit faith based in that noone is going to verify every thing they read to be true we just have to trust that the equations where calculated correctly but in theory you should be able to reproduce the same results as long as we reproduce the same conditions the experiment was conducted under

You can derive the speed of light from the equations describing how electricity works. You get a constant number that doesn't depend on how fast you're moving, so if the equations are accurate the speed of light must be constant.

At some point science is a bit faith based in that noone is going to verify every thing they read to be true we just have to trust that the equations where calculated correctly but in theory you should be able to reproduce the same results as long as we reproduce the same conditions the experiment was conducted under
And therez the problem.
Reproducing the same conditions.
In space as infinite as it is.....are we recreating the conditions correctly if we don't truly understand or even discovered some or certain conditions.
Boom!

that is a good question, I only have a bachelors degree so my understanding isn't that great relatively speaking. But other than gravity theres nothing to indicate that light behaves differently in space. it bends under heavy objects and we can see how much it bends via a telescope so we can make calculations based around that. I have never seen anything to suggest that light behaves in a way we dont understand. I can see why you are skeptical but i dont think you need to actually take measurements in space to make accurate measurments

before we had planes and speed ships people were able to accurately predict the circumference of the earth based on the shadow created from the sun and a large tower. They didnt travel the world and take measurments every 10 feet to figure out how big the earth is,

my point is that with enough info its amazing at how much one can deduce within a good degree of accuracy

Back