Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION The Wire - A Hindsight Discussion

Because he is a criminal lol. The security guard stood up against a menace in his community. If more people did that Avon or Marlo could not have done what they did

Because he is a criminal lol. The security guard stood up against a menace in his community. If more people did that Avon or Marlo could not have done what they did

He stepped to him over a lollipop though.

So, what did he really accomplish in the long run?

How did him getting killed over a lollipop help anybody?

It was all ego on his end.

Dude wasn't thinking about his family at all.

Come to think of it, he actually put his family in danger because Marlo could've easily decided to kill them the same way he killed Junebug's family.

He stepped to him over a lollipop though.

So, what did he really accomplish in the long run?

How did him getting killed over a lollipop help anybody?

It was all ego on his end.

Dude wasn't thinking about his family at all.

Come to think of it, he actually put his family in danger because Marlo could've easily decided to kill them the same way he killed Junebug's family.
Imagine in his household he tells his family everyday how gangs and people like Marlo are destroying the community. Then one day marlo just strolls in and steal a lollipop in front of your face to be disrespectful. Literally a put out or fuck up moment. He stood up and got blasted for what he believes in. If other people had that valor and was ready to stand up or call the cops how long would have Marlo’s or avon’s Muscle would have lasted. How long until somebody folded and turned on them on the stand? Hope that inspired his children to go ahead and become police to crack down and whip niggas like snoop or become a lawyer maybe run for senator.

And let’s be real if he wasn’t going to step to him over stealing at his job where he’s suppose to be security guard he wasn’t going to step to Marlo over anything like everyone else.

Imagine in his household he tells his family everyday how gangs and people like Marlo are destroying the community. Then one day marlo just strolls in and steal a lollipop in front of your face to be disrespectful. Literally a put out or fuck up moment. He stood up and got blasted for what he believes in. If other people had that valor and was ready to stand up or call the cops how long would have Marlo’s or avon’s Muscle would have lasted. How long until somebody folded and turned on them on the stand? Hope that inspired his children to go ahead and become police to crack down and whip niggas like snoop or become a lawyer maybe run for senator.

And let’s be real if he wasn’t going to step to him over stealing at his job where he’s suppose to be security guard he wasn’t going to step to Marlo over anything like everyone else.

He wasn't trying to take a stand against injustice or anything.

He wasn't thinking about his family either.

It was all ego on his part.

He just got in his feelings because Marlo disrespected him the same way he disrespected Marlo.

Dude couldn't humble himself enough to let it go.

"Pride always comes before the fall."

The Greek lambs go to slaughter pic.jpg

He wasn't trying to take a stand against injustice or anything.

He wasn't thinking about his family either.

It was all ego on his part.

He just got in his feelings because Marlo disrespected him the same way he disrespected Marlo.

Dude couldn't humble himself enough to let it go.

"Pride always comes before the fall."

View attachment 141473

I think you're going a bit too far with your assumptions of it being the guys ego that made him step to Marlo. Should he have picked his battles more wisely............ yes!

But I can understand why he felt the need to say something and it wasn't just due to him maybe feeling disrespected. One of his job titles is to deter shoplifting so he was doing his duty. If he doesn't do his job he gets fired and will not be able to provide for his family.

If people consistently let things slide then the individual's who keep taking advantage will most likely continue to do so.

I have to agree with Deadeye here. The scene is told through subtleties.

0:11 The stare down (Marlo feels a way bout it)
0:21 - :27 Marlo steals knowing he's being stared at (returning the disrespect)
0:41 - :51 Guard tells Marlo how hes a hard working man supporting his family (marlo out here trying to get it too, so what)
0:51 - :58 "Pretend I'm not talking to you.. like i aint even on this earth. I know what you are" (sounds like the guard is saying he's a better man than marlo)
1:06 Guard steps in front of Marlo face as if to impose his presence. This is what got him killed.

"You want it to be one way.. but its the other way" .... The guard wanted Marlo to give him respect, though you can say he didn't give respect when Marlo walked into the store. Then he gets into this "valor" bullshit whiteface talking bout, how he's a working man with a family so that's the reason Marlo is supposed to give him respect. You can suspect Marlo comes from a very broken family so this means little to him. But then the step up.. Marlo comes from a background where he's snatching respect, because it aint given. On some street shit, some1 imposing their presence is to be taken as danger, you can't say its not a threat and suddenly its not. The security guard violated all the nuances that come with street shit, the disrespect, the belittling, then imposing your presence... He thought being a working family man that "stepping to" was a means to be given respect, in Marlo's world it's a polar opposite. "You want it to be one way.. but it's the other way"

From the moment Marlo stepped in that store, the security guard looked him up and down with contempt. Sounds like ego to me.

I have to agree with Deadeye here. The scene is told through subtleties.

0:11 The stare down (Marlo feels a way bout it)
0:21 - :27 Marlo steals knowing he's being stared at (returning the disrespect)
0:41 - :51 Guard tells Marlo how hes a hard working man supporting his family (marlo out here trying to get it too, so what)
0:51 - :58 "Pretend I'm not talking to you.. like i aint even on this earth. I know what you are" (sounds like the guard is saying he's a better man than marlo)
1:06 Guard steps in front of Marlo face as if to impose his presence. This is what got him killed.

"You want it to be one way.. but its the other way" .... The guard wanted Marlo to give him respect, though you can say he didn't give respect when Marlo walked into the store. Then he gets into this "valor" bullshit whiteface talking bout, how he's a working man with a family so that's the reason Marlo is supposed to give him respect. You can suspect Marlo comes from a very broken family so this means little to him. But then the step up.. Marlo comes from a background where he's snatching respect, because it aint given. On some street shit, some1 imposing their presence is to be taken as danger, you can't say its not a threat and suddenly its not. The security guard violated all the nuances that come with street shit, the disrespect, the belittling, then imposing your presence... He thought being a working family man that "stepping to" was a means to be given respect, in Marlo's world it's a polar opposite. "You want it to be one way.. but it's the other way"

From the moment Marlo stepped in that store, the security guard looked him up and down with contempt. Sounds like ego to me.

Denzel my man clip.gif

Couldn't have said it better.

Avon Barksdale Westside clip.gif

I think you're going a bit too far with your assumptions of it being the guys ego that made him step to Marlo. Should he have picked his battles more wisely............ yes!

But I can understand why he felt the need to say something and it wasn't just due to him maybe feeling disrespected. One of his job titles is to deter shoplifting so he was doing his duty. If he doesn't do his job he gets fired and will not be able to provide for his family.

If people consistently let things slide then the individual's who keep taking advantage will most likely continue to do so.

Not assuming anything at all.

I'm just going by how the whole encounter played out.

Also, didn't think about it at the time, but........if it was really all about doing his job.........he should've arrested Marlo for shoplifting.

By choosing not to arrest Marlo, he decided not to do the job that he was being paid for.

Despite this, however.........he still decides to step to Marlo over the same offense that he wasn't even willing to arrest him for.

Therefore, since he already decided not to do his job and arrest Marlo.........there was no other reason for him to step to Marlo other than ego and foolish pride.

Oh, and I just re watched season 3

Stringer was wrong.

Avon was stubborn about his corners. But everyone knew Avon was Avon...

New York was ready to open the connect back up thru brother mouzone.... Avon giving Stringer up made sense...

1. String went behind Avon back to kill D'Angelo... Who was family

2. String went behind Avon back to get the prop Joe dope

3. (Hind sight) stringer snitched

Plus that Clay Davis shit had him off his game.... McNulty had him on the wire
.. Connecting him to drugs. String was going down regardless. But because of his grimey shit he went down in the streets vs jail time.... But he was getting jail time if Avon doesn't give him up.... Either way his story was done....

Him giving up Avon would have never helped him..... Him not giving up Avon gets Marlo hit that night.... They never would have had Avon's safe house.... The hit goes on....

Even if Avon went back down with string getting caught on the wire.... Marlo is gone... And Westside is still Avon.

String was the most wrong

Oh, and I just re watched season 3

Stringer was wrong.

Avon was stubborn about his corners. But everyone knew Avon was Avon...

New York was ready to open the connect back up thru brother mouzone.... Avon giving Stringer up made sense...

1. String went behind Avon back to kill D'Angelo... Who was family

2. String went behind Avon back to get the prop Joe dope

3. (Hind sight) stringer snitched

Plus that Clay Davis shit had him off his game.... McNulty had him on the wire
.. Connecting him to drugs. String was going down regardless. But because of his grimey shit he went down in the streets vs jail time.... But he was getting jail time if Avon doesn't give him up.... Either way his story was done....

Him giving up Avon would have never helped him..... Him not giving up Avon gets Marlo hit that night.... They never would have had Avon's safe house.... The hit goes on....

Even if Avon went back down with string getting caught on the wire.... Marlo is gone... And Westside is still Avon.

String was the most wrong
I don't think Avon gave Stringer up he just didn't do anything to stop what was going to happen since there was nothing he could do. Yea he gave them Stringer's location but they was go hit dude no matter what

Of course Stringer was wrong it ain't even a debate to be had. Stringer ended up gunned down in his failed real estate complex. Avon stayed the king.

Back