Welcome To aBlackWeb

The What We Doing With Series: Loaded Lux

5th Letter

Mod Squad
He’s coming off of a debatable against Aye Verb, but there has been a trend with Lux that seems to be that his performances has gotten worse with every battle. Is his unbeatable aura gone? Were there too much expectations placed on him after SM 2 and Hollow? What solutions do you have for Lux?

Do you really think his verb performance was worse than his arsonal performance? I quite enjoyed it personally.

Do you really think his verb performance was worse than his arsonal performance? I quite enjoyed it personally.
Yes, he was better against Arsonal. Lux always had a moment or a memorable bar in all his battles, this is the first battle he’s had where he had none of the above. No moments no memorable bars. Against Ars, he had is it bars or is it Ars, against Clips he had the paperwork, against Mook he had the jacket, against Hollow he had stand up niggas don’t lean, against Cal he had you gon Get this work.

Yes, he was better against Arsonal. Lux always had a moment or a memorable bar in all his battles, this is the first battle he’s had where he had none of the above. No moments no memorable bars. Against Ars, he had is it bars or is it Ars, against Clips he had the paperwork, against Mook he had the jacket, against Hollow he had stand up niggas don’t lean, against Cal he had you gon Get this work.

I don't believe bars/ars or the charlie clip paperwork won him the battle at all... And Mook jacket? who cares about that lol. You gon get this work is a damn ad lib man. What are we doing here?

Do we listen to bars or do we just skim through it????? Lol

I don't believe bars/ars or the charlie clip paperwork won him the battle at all... And Mook jacket? who cares about that lol. You gon get this work is a damn ad lib man. What are we doing here?

Do we listen to bars or do we just skim through it????? Lol
I’m pointing out that Lux in all his battles either had a memorable bar or a memorable moment and I listed those moments from those battles. This Verb battle had no moments or memorable bars. I never said those moments won or lost him the battle just saying that they were memorable moments/bars.

I’m pointing out that Lux in all his battles either had a memorable bar or a memorable moment and I listed those moments from those battles. This Verb battle had no moments or memorable bars. I never said those moments won or lost him the battle just saying that they were memorable moments/bars.

I hear you I hear you, ion want no smoke

:mybad:

He’s coming off of a debatable against Aye Verb, but there has been a trend with Lux that seems to be that his performances has gotten worse with every battle. Is his unbeatable aura gone? Were there too much expectations placed on him after SM 2 and Hollow? What solutions do you have for Lux?

I feel his performance is suffering most definitely the last few times. I also think he's lost the meaning of what it is to battle, and I think battle culture in general has forgotten the meaning as well: The point of battle is to do damage IN THE BATTLE. Imagine two boxers scrapping it out, one nigga get stretched, and wakes up talking about, "They'll check the footage and see who really won." No. Do your damage THERE. Writing for the replay is dumb as fuck.

The reason the Miles battle is timeless and the Calico battle is too are because he's cramming shit in but it's palatable as well as technical. What's fucking him up lately is he's applying his impeccable technique to shit that ain't all that poignant or hard-hitting. Bitching about time limits? Word?

To me, Lux is in that Eminem Relapse phase where he applies a greater use of skills than most of his peers, but he's using that technique to make songs like "Puke" instead of "Stan" or "Rabbit Run." You have end rhymes, in rhymes, multis, schemes, and all this dope shit applied to a garbage angle or scheme.

Going back to performance, I don't think even Lux knows how to perform his shit it's so complex. Compare Lux's lines versus Verb to the direct setups and punches Verb was landing: "You walk around backstage water distilled, chilled/I walk in and hit the faucet like this still." It's simple, but the body language made it memorable. Lux had the clock in bar that was hard, and it was hard for the same reason: it was direct, he acted it out, and you felt it.

How do you act out Wayans Brothers bars or schemes that long said that fast?

That's his biggest problem to me: He's going so far with the pen that by the time he comes up for air, the crowd doesn't know what to react to so you end up with these debates where lyrical heads who watched it four or five times want to say he won a battle versus the crowd like me who's like, "Nah, it's a verbal fight. The camera is for people who didn't see the fight not for you to say watch it three times to see me win."

The Miles shit is one time. Instant. No debating. Even if homie didn't choke, there was nothing he could've done with that Lux performance AND bars. Nothing at all. He need to reassess his whole style and practice more.

I feel his performance is suffering most definitely the last few times. I also think he's lost the meaning of what it is to battle, and I think battle culture in general has forgotten the meaning as well: The point of battle is to do damage IN THE BATTLE. Imagine two boxers scrapping it out, one nigga get stretched, and wakes up talking about, "They'll check the footage and see who really won." No. Do your damage THERE. Writing for the replay is dumb as fuck.

The reason the Miles battle is timeless and the Calico battle is too are because he's cramming shit in but it's palatable as well as technical. What's fucking him up lately is he's applying his impeccable technique to shit that ain't all that poignant or hard-hitting. Bitching about time limits? Word?

To me, Lux is in that Eminem Relapse phase where he applies a greater use of skills than most of his peers, but he's using that technique to make songs like "Puke" instead of "Stan" or "Rabbit Run." You have end rhymes, in rhymes, multis, schemes, and all this dope shit applied to a garbage angle or scheme.

Going back to performance, I don't think even Lux knows how to perform his shit it's so complex. Compare Lux's lines versus Verb to the direct setups and punches Verb was landing: "You walk around backstage water distilled, chilled/I walk in and hit the faucet like this still." It's simple, but the body language made it memorable. Lux had the clock in bar that was hard, and it was hard for the same reason: it was direct, he acted it out, and you felt it.

How do you act out Wayans Brothers bars or schemes that long said that fast?

That's his biggest problem to me: He's going so far with the pen that by the time he comes up for air, the crowd doesn't know what to react to so you end up with these debates where lyrical heads who watched it four or five times want to say he won a battle versus the crowd like me who's like, "Nah, it's a verbal fight. The camera is for people who didn't see the fight not for you to say watch it three times to see me win."

The Miles shit is one time. Instant. No debating. Even if homie didn't choke, there was nothing he could've done with that Lux performance AND bars. Nothing at all. He need to reassess his whole style and practice more.

That’s a fair point.

So was hollow right when he said battle rap became couples therapy? Cuz according to your explanation “exposing shit” is the way to win a battle. Fuck being a better rapper..

Yo remember in hip hop when it was dope you had to rewind a bar cuz it was tough. We not cool with that no more?

That’s a fair point.

So was hollow right when he said battle rap became couples therapy? Cuz according to your explanation “exposing shit” is the way to win a battle. Fuck being a better rapper..

Yo remember in hip hop when it was dope you had to rewind a bar cuz it was tough. We not cool with that no more?

Did you misquote? I didn't say shit about exposing anybody as the way to win or even imply that. And I also didn't imply it was bad to rewind a tough bar. I said writing for the replay is stupid. The goal is to win in a single viewing. If it's dope enough to rewind should be a BONUS not the PRIMARY objective.

Does that make sense now? You hear battlers say that all the time: they'll catch it later. That's fine for a line or two, but if your WHOLE style is leaning toward "catch it on cam" as a battler you're fucking up to me. And that's where Lux is at to me.

Did you misquote? I didn't say shit about exposing anybody as the way to win or even imply that. And I also didn't imply it was bad to rewind a tough bar. I said writing for the replay is stupid. The goal is to win in a single viewing. If it's dope enough to rewind should be a BONUS not the PRIMARY objective.

Does that make sense now? You hear battlers say that all the time: they'll catch it later. That's fine for a line or two, but if your WHOLE style is leaning toward "catch it on cam" as a battler you're fucking up to me. And that's where Lux is at to me.

You said doing damage. Do you need me to show you the correlation?

And yeah that's true. Especially if you are talking about a guy like quantum physics, who has literally nothing but intricate writing. Lux had lines for in the building, also performance and cadence. It gets to a point though, how microwaved do you want your food? Is the ultimate form of battle rap just a slew of generic gun bars and name flips? If you like your battle raps simple, that's cool and absolutely nothing wrong with that. But understand there's a market for people who want to hear something that stimulates their cognitive skills in figuring out how a bar connects with a set up.

And help me understand what is the tangible reward for "winning" ?? Aye Verb arguably been losing for damn near most of his career, and now here we are.... Where's the win in making a bunch of drunk people in a crowd go "ohh ahh" if you get to watch it on a playback and realize it wasn't that great. See Clips performance vs Lux. You want timeless classics, it has to be a little more behind it than highway exit bars where everybody in the building knows where to get off.

vs Arsonal & that total slaughter shit was the only Lux performances I dont care for. Everything else was great to me.

I just resent the fact we gotta dumb everything down. We got mumble rap for that. Shit even just music in general, Capone N Noreaga War Report is my favorite album of all time, aint shit to dissect about those verses. But when it come to battle rap, I'm listening to hear people do incredible things with the English language while appealing to shit I can relate to. Cassidy voice, "the science".

You said doing damage. Do you need me to show you the correlation?

And yeah that's true. Especially if you are talking about a guy like quantum physics, who has literally nothing but intricate writing. Lux had lines for in the building, also performance and cadence. It gets to a point though, how microwaved do you want your food? Is the ultimate form of battle rap just a slew of generic gun bars and name flips? If you like your battle raps simple, that's cool and absolutely nothing wrong with that. But understand there's a market for people who want to hear something that stimulates their cognitive skills in figuring out how a bar connects with a set up.

And help me understand what is the tangible reward for "winning" ?? Aye Verb arguably been losing for damn near most of his career, and now here we are.... Where's the win in making a bunch of drunk people in a crowd go "ohh ahh" if you get to watch it on a playback and realize it wasn't that great. See Clips performance vs Lux. You want timeless classics, it has to be a little more behind it than highway exit bars where everybody in the building knows where to get off.

vs Arsonal & that total slaughter shit was the only Lux performances I dont care for. Everything else was great to me.

My bad thought I hit submit on this yesterday.

Ok. Now then what's the point of calling it a battle then if there are no winners and losers? The tangible reward for winning is winning. It's being booked at another event, popularity, and proving your point and generating sales for the company. Your questions sounds like an argument Cortez would make pre-Hallahan (or whatever that dude's name is) battle. "What's winning anyway?" It's being declared the victor in a contest, which this is. Verb losing his whole career now? Word? The whole 10+years he been getting booked consistently as a loser? Please don't do that.

Yes, I said do your damage there (aka get your bombs landed for your audience). I feel like you're trying to make it a war against complicated raps, and this is not that party. Chilla catching whole bodies of triple entendre, so complexity not selling isn't an issue nor is dumbing down. To Kill a Mocking Bird is a great book in the same vein Hamlet is a good play. However, To Kill a Mockingbird doesn't lose points for being the easier read and Hamlet doesn't gain points for difficulty. So if the same bunch of drunk people don't catch all of Lux's shit, their opinions don't count but had they caught it all what then? Either the format is accepted (popular opinion wins you the day) or it isn't (and your man loses).

You can be lyrical and get a point across, but at the same time lyrical and not connecting is still not connecting. That's what made him lose versus Ars and Mook oddly enough: he showcased all the verbal talent in the world, but it was essentially the issue most people have with Shakespeare: it sounds nice but then you realized Willie said 4 pages of words to say, "Bitch, don't leave me!" And even when you catch it it's still not impressive.

My bad thought I hit submit on this yesterday.

Ok. Now then what's the point of calling it a battle then if there are no winners and losers? The tangible reward for winning is winning. It's being booked at another event, popularity, and proving your point and generating sales for the company. Your questions sounds like an argument Cortez would make pre-Hallahan (or whatever that dude's name is) battle. "What's winning anyway?" It's being declared the victor in a contest, which this is. Verb losing his whole career now? Word? The whole 10+years he been getting booked consistently as a loser? Please don't do that.

Yes, I said do your damage there (aka get your bombs landed for your audience). I feel like you're trying to make it a war against complicated raps, and this is not that party. Chilla catching whole bodies of triple entendre, so complexity not selling isn't an issue nor is dumbing down. To Kill a Mocking Bird is a great book in the same vein Hamlet is a good play. However, To Kill a Mockingbird doesn't lose points for being the easier read and Hamlet doesn't gain points for difficulty. So if the same bunch of drunk people don't catch all of Lux's shit, their opinions don't count but had they caught it all what then? Either the format is accepted (popular opinion wins you the day) or it isn't (and your man loses).

You can be lyrical and get a point across, but at the same time lyrical and not connecting is still not connecting. That's what made him lose versus Ars and Mook oddly enough: he showcased all the verbal talent in the world, but it was essentially the issue most people have with Shakespeare: it sounds nice but then you realized Willie said 4 pages of words to say, "Bitch, don't leave me!" And even when you catch it it's still not impressive.

Fair points. Well stated.

Lux been #2 on my list for years, but damn, I can't remember the last fire Lux performance.

Back