Welcome To aBlackWeb

The What We Doing With Series: Chess

5th Letter

Mod Squad
If y’all are not too familiar with angryfan he occasionally asks the question “what we doing with ____” to see what the battle rap community thinks about an artist who’s stock isn’t high but isn’t completely low either.

First up Chess. He was one of the URL’s top young rising stars but a series of chokes and stumbles have dropped his stock immensely. So based on where Chess is at right now, what we doing with him?

That's a tough question. He's similar to Twork but to an extremely worse degree. When he's in his bag, he's one of the best in the game. In an era where there's niggas shooting machetes and pulling AKs out the holster, niggas like Chess are refreshing. He brings that old school Smack feel to the game, not too many niggas have that cloth these days....

....but the nigga can't go more than 3 battles without choking. That last shit was sad to watch, how df you choke in ALL 3 rounds?

I would say he needs to take some time off but he just took most of 2018 off and returned and did this shit. The only silver lining is that he's young, so he has time to mature and focus and hopefully his time hasn't passed.

I thought Chess was on the right path at the end of 2018, he had good showings against Suge and Twork. I think unfortunately he’s what he is, a dope battler who’s handicapped by his lack of ability to memorize his rhymes. He got passes simply because he was young, but he’s been around long enough and there hasn’t been much improvement in terms of the stumbling and choking, id argue he got worse. He’s a mid tier battler with top tier ability stuck to where he is.

Yea I just rewatched his battle vs Twork. Chess' 2nd round was one of the top 5/10 rounds of 2018

he just needs to pic battles he’s motivated for and not just battle for the check (which I understand is tempting).

His battle with suge Went under the radar and the material he had in there was some of my favorite I ever heard from him

He easily has the skill to bang with any of the top dudes in URL right now but he gotta get it together

Back