Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

I think the two former Marines might actually have a chance of taking his seat.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Kentucky voters are literally threatening our democracy and getting people killed because of their their incompetence.

Trump Officials Are Cagey On Punishing Employers Of Undocumented Immigrants

After a record 680 suspected undocumented workers were arrested during a series of raids in Mississippi last week, Trump administration immigration officials seem unable to answer one question from reporters: What happens to the businesses owners who hire undocumented immigrants in the first place?

When Ken Cuccinelli (pictured above), the acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, held a press conference on Monday announcing the administration’s new restrictions against legal immigration, a journalist asked about Trump’s decision in December 2017 to commute the prison sentence of a meatpacking executive who’d hired about 400 undocumented immigrants.

“Did that decision to grant a prison commutation to this man send the wrong message to employers?” the reporter asked Monday.

“I’m not really prepared to speak to that,” Cuccinelli responded. “I don’t think so. The President does those [commutations] one person at a time.”

The acting USCIS chief said that the criminal investigations stemming from the Mississippi raids are “still ongoing” but emphasized that ICE’s growth is part of the Trump administration’s message on enforcing the law.

Other administration officials were similarly guarded on the topic over the weekend.

When NBC News host Chuck Todd confronted acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan on Sunday over ICE’s decision to only target workers during the Mississippi raids, McAleenan said his department is “in the middle of an ongoing investigation.”

Todd pointed out that the arrests in Mississippi contradicted ICE’s workplace arrest policy on its website, which states that the agency will “obtain indictments, criminal arrests or search warrants, or a commitment from a U.S. Attorney’s Office to prosecute the targeted employer before arresting employees for civil immigration violations at a worksite.”

“Didn’t the employer commit the crime?” the NBC News host asked.

“Of course,” McAleenan replied. “And we do have those employers and names who we’re targeting.”

“We’re in the middle of a criminal investigation,” he repeated later. “This case will be pursued.”

And acting Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Mark Morgan played the same tune on Sunday when CNN’s Jake Tapper asked if there were any charges against the company owners in Mississippi.

“It is a pending investigation right now,” Morgan said. “There was a criminal search warrant to go in there to collect more information, more intelligence. And that investigation is ongoing.”

Morgan also didn’t have a clear answer as to why ICE hasn’t gone after Trump’s businesses, which have hired undocumented immigrants.

Yoooo! I got a whole new respect for Cuomo. I ain't know dude was bout it like that.

He said what if I call you punk bitch, lol. Then dude tried to back pedal and he called him on that shit. Told him to be a man and stand on his shit.

Then they start throwing out the fact there are cameras, lol. They ain't want it with Cuomo. They thought he was soft cause he a reporter on CNN, lol.

Trump Admin Starts Caving On China Trade War, Removes Some Items From Tariff List

Remember when trade wars were “good and easy to win”?

The United States Trade Representative announced on Tuesday that it was removing several items from its list of tariffs on Chinese imports “based on health, safety, national security and other factors” that would’ve been subjected to President Donald Trump’s new 10 percent tariff.

The USTR will also delay tariffs on cell phones, laptops, computer monitors, video game consoles, and “certain items of footwear and clothing” until December 15.

President Donald Trump had tweeted in early August that he was slapping a 10 percent tariff on an additional $300 billion dollars’ worth of Chinese imports effective September 1, which would force Americans to pay extra taxes on goods like iPhones and other electronics.

Economic experts have warned that Trump’s trade war with China poses a major threat to U.S. markets and could risk a recession next year, not to mention the additional costs to U.S. consumers.

Back