Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/donald-trump-national-emergency-border-wall

Trump Still Floating National Emergency To Get His Border Wall

It’s still on the table.

After reports over the past couple of days indicated President Trump was waffling over whether to declare a national emergency in order to get his favored border wall, the President on Wednesday said he has an “absolute right” to do so.

“I think we might work a deal, and if we don’t we might go that route,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office during a bill-signing event, according to a White House pool report.

Trump said the “threshold” for declaring an emergency would be if no deal is reached with Congress to reopen the government.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/tr...ns-to-shutdown-during-meeting-with-senate-gop

Trump Offers Nervous GOP Senators No New Shutdown Solutions During Meeting

Did President Trump offer any new solutions or plans to reopen the government during a meeting with Republican senators Wednesday?

“Not really,” Sen. Mike Rounds (R-SD) told reporters as he left. “Just a matter of ‘we’re getting there, we’re not there yet.'”

That was the consensus from GOP senators as they left an hourlong lunch meeting at the Capitol. Trump made no new proposals and offered no new solutions to the ongoing government shutdown, which hit its 19th day on Wednesday. The President repeated much of what he said during his nationally televised Oval Office speech Tuesday night, while making a push to rally wavering members to hold strong with him.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) said there was one clear message from Trump: “Stick together.”

Trump insisted to reporters as he exited that the GOP was “totally unified” behind him, claiming “there was no discussion of anything other than solidarity” during the meeting.

“At this point I don’t think there’s really much talk of negotiating this for the other. It’s hanging tough to make sure that we get the funding for the barriers,” Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) told reporters.

A few Republicans voiced concerns about the current situation, including Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and Susan Collins (R-ME). But the vast majority made clear that they’re behind the President, even as some privately admit that they’re losing the argument over why the government should remain partly closed until Trump gets the $5.7 billion he’s demanded to construct a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The shutdown is just two days away from being the longest in U.S. history.

Murkowski is one of the few senators who has publicly questioned Trump’s strategy, and she confronted him during the meeting.

She told reporters that she pointed out that “the government is shut down and there are consequences and people are starting to feel those consequences.”

His response?

“He urged us to remain unified,” Murkowski said.

A handful of moderate Republicans, many from swing states, have been floating the idea of a Senate vote to reopen certain parts of government. But most remain publicly behind Trump, even as they grow increasingly nervous about the political and real-world consequences of the ongoing shutdown.

“I didn’t say nobody raised any concerns but nobody raised any negative concerns, and everybody is committed to staying the course,” Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA) said.

“Everybody’s going to remain in unity,” freshman Sen. Mike Braun (R-IN) said.

Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard Shelby (R-AL) said it would be “futile” to vote on the individual departmental funding bills that House Democrats plan to pass, noting Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has said he won’t bring the bills up. Trump also said he would veto the bills.

The President also didn’t bring up the possibility of declaring a national emergency in his remarks. But when a senator said they were glad Trump hadn’t declared one in order to try to seize other national security funds to build the wall, he held out the possibility that he still might, according to two senators in the room.

“He made it clear that it’s still an option but he decided at this point it wasn’t the right time,” said Rounds.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/carson-prayer-breakfast-speech-canceled-shutdown

Shutdown Forces Ben Carson To Cancel Prayer Breakfast Speech

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The federal government shutdown has scrambled plans for a Missouri prayer breakfast after Ben Carson had to cancel as the keynote speaker.

A spokesman for the U.S. Department Housing and Urban Development said Wednesday that the agency could not pay for the secretary’s travel to Missouri because of the shutdown.

Carson had been scheduled as the main speaker Thursday for the Missouri governor’s annual prayer breakfast.

A spokeswoman for Gov. Mike Parson said Carson’s spot would be filled by St. Louis Sheriff Vernon Betts.

The breakfast hosted during the first week of the legislative session typically draws hundreds of people. Ticket proceeds benefit a leadership forum on faith and values for college students.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/more-tuned-in-watch-dem-rebuttal-trump-address

More People Tuned In To Watch Dem Rebuttal Than Trump’s Address

The TV president has met his match.

According to preliminary figures highlighted by The Hollywood Reporter, more people tuned in to watch Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) (awkwardly) stand side-by-side to rebut President Trump’s Oval Office address on the border wall than Trump’s primetime speech.

Four percent more people tuned in to watch the second quarter of the nine o’clock hour when Pelosi and Schumer spoke than the first part of the hour when Trump’s speech was broadcast across ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CNN, Fox News and NBC, according to the Hollywood Reporter’s assessment of the figures:

The quarter hour (9-9:15 p.m. ET) containing the president’s speech drew a combined 28.1 household rating in metered markets on ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CNN, Fox News and NBC. The following 15 minutes, including analysis and the Pelosi-Schumer rebuttal, averaged 29.3 across those same networks, a bump of about 4 percent.

trump-furious-angry-ugly.jpg

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/schumer-trump-just-walked-out-shutdown-negotiation-wall

Schumer: Trump ‘Just Got Up And Walked Out’ Of Shutdown Negotiation Meeting

After congressional Democratic and Republican leadership met with President Donald Trump Wednesday afternoon, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said that Trump called the meeting a “waste of his time” and walked out after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said she didn’t agree with his desired border wall.

“Unfortunately, the President just got up and walked out,” Schumer said, standing alongside Pelosi outside the White House. “He asked Speaker Pelosi, ‘Will you agree to my wall?’ She said ‘No.’ And he just got up and said, ‘Then we have nothing to discuss.’ and he just walked out.”

The Senate minority leader added: “Again, we saw a temper tantrum because he couldn’t get his way, and he just walked out of the meeting.”

Republicans contested that version of events slightly, with Trump tweeting — and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) telling reporters shortly afterward — that he left the meeting after Pelosi rejected a wall within 30 days of the shutdown ending, were the government to reopen without wall funds having been allocated.

Schumer added that he told Trump “We’re willing to discuss anything” once the government is re-open.

“And he said, ‘If I open up the government, you won’t do what I want,” Schumer said.

“And then a few minutes later, he sort of slammed the table, and when Leader Pelosi said she didn’t agree with the wall, he just walked out and said ‘We have nothing to discuss.’ He said it was a waste of his time.”

anigif_sub-buzz-17948-1468618414-2.gif

First thing i said...."most those damn drugs are being driven right through border control anyway"

Idk shit but i assume its better to have more surveillance/technology in strategic areas of the border than some big ass wall that covers parts that no one tried to cross anyway

And a big ass wall like that would symbolize a lot of negativity our country would have to live with if ever erected nh

You know what so funny about the Bernie Sanders supporters...especially from 2016...

If Bernie was great of a candidate in their eyes...why didn't he win more primaries? I mean you can blame the DNC for favoring Clinton...but the PEOPLE were the ones in those voting booth voting for the stronger candidate.

You know what so funny about the Bernie Sanders supporters...especially from 2016...

If Bernie was great of a candidate in their eyes...why didn't he win more primaries? I mean you can blame the DNC for favoring Clinton...but the PEOPLE were the ones in those voting booth voting for the stronger candidate.
A lot of dems didnt see him as a true democrat and therefore the less popular vote. Ive also heard/read people claim they like him more than clinton but thought clinton had a better chance against trump. Whereas no one questioned if bernie wouldve been better competition til after hillary already lost.

Not sure if this really had much affect tho just some speculation from me

Back