Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Sports Media (Sports Radio, Podcasts, Shows, Networks, Etc.) Thread

Turner Sports is not renewing the contract of NBA sideline reporter Ros Gold-Onwude, the New York Post reported Thursday. Gold-Onwude, who left Golden State Warriors broadcasts to join Turner, spent just two seasons with the company.

Turner is also reportedly parting ways with Mike Fratello, who for a time was TNT’s lead NBA analyst. Fratello had been used sparingly by Turner in recent years. Since AT&T took over Turner parent company Time Warner earlier this year, the network has also parted ways with the quartet of basketball aficionados known as “The Starters.”

Longtime NBA TV host Rick Kamla is leaving the network to join a radio station in Houston. Kamla spent 17 years with NBA TV and had already been there six years by the time Turner Sports began running its operations in 2008. His departure comes weeks after the cancellation of NBA TV’s “The Starters,” a daily talk show that began in 2013. [Atlanta Journal-Constitution

This seems more like AT&T and Time Warner letting her and everyone else go not Turner.

Fratello been around the NBA forever and is still good. No sense in letting him go

Longtime NFL reporter Ed Werder has been rehired by ESPN. Werder, who was laid off by the company in 2017, told NBC’s Peter King he had hoped there would be a reunion and said the move shows ESPN is emphasizing journalism:
“It says they’re emphasizing good journalism. I really feel relieved that we’ve reached a deal, and it’s final, and now it’s just the excitement of doing the job that I know I can do—and justifying the expectations that I have created for myself. I intend to.”
Werder was a part of around 100 layoffs at ESPN in May 2017. He previously spent 17 years there appearing across various platforms such as NFL Liveand SportsCenter. Even with a long list of NFL talents, Werder will provide value to ESPN’s coverage as a connected Cowboys reporter.
According to King, Werder latest stint may even consist of more than just covering professional football: “Werder may cover more sports than football, and teams other than the Cowboys, the organization he regularly broke news on during his years there.”

Back