Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official NFL Offseason Thread

TheMadLionsFan

Out chea thuggin in my home office.
10 biggest questions for the 2018 NFL offseason

1. Where will Kirk Cousins land?

With Dan Snyder and Co. poised to capture another “offseason championship” in obtaining Alex Smith from the Chiefs, Washington has boldly addressed its quarterback situation – leaving Cousins to hit the open market and collect his biggest payday yet. The Cardinals and Broncos, who already have a lot of pieces in place, would be intriguing options. The Jets and Browns might offer more cash … and more rebuilding.

2. When will the Carolina Panthers get a new owner?

Although the deal could fetch a multi-billion sale price, it’s not inconceivable the Panthers could change hands before the start of next season. Whoever emerges as the next owner – Jerry Richardson put the franchise on the market after Sports Illustrated revealed he’s been accused of workplace misconduct, including alleged sexual harassment – probably hasn’t been publicly identified, as legitimate suitors typically work behind the scenes.

3. Will Andrew Luck return to form?

After missing the entire season following shoulder surgery, the Colts franchise quarterback hopes to be on track to resume his career next season, which would include a new chapter with expected coach Josh McDaniels. But there were assurances that he would return during the 2017 season, and those never panned out. Now it’s worth wondering whether he’ll be the same player after surgery. Until that’s confirmed with performance, Indianapolis will be on edge.

More: Patriots' five biggest offseason issues: Uncertainty reigns in New England

More: Eagles offseason issues: When will Carson Wentz be back in action?

4. Who will be the first pick in the draft?

The Browns are on the clock, a familiar position. Also familiar: the presence of a new GM, in John Dorsey, and the need to land a franchise quarterback. In the two previous drafts, the Browns passed on opportunities to grab Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz. Now they can have their pick between Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or Josh Allen. The Browns also have the fourth pick — could they land Penn State running back Saquon Barkley — maybe the best prospect in the draft —– to go with a franchise quarterback?

5. How will Bill Belichick ever catch up?

A day after the epic Super Bowl comeback against the Falcons last year, the Patriots coach grumbled that he was a few weeks behind with his offseason work. He was only half-kidding. And, yes, he caught up. This time, the offseason challenge for Belichick includes replacing both of his coordinators, with McDaniels set to join the Colts while D-coordinator Matt Patricia will lead the Lions. That's the price of success: Short offseasons and promotions for key assistants.

6. Can the league fix the catch rule?

It’s an NFL version of Same Time Next Year. With a few fresh head-scratching examples to consider, the competition committee will once again weigh tweaking the rule that constitutes a catch. As the rule is written now, the officials generally are making the correct call by the book. But that doesn’t always overlap with common sense. New language is needed. So figure on the catch rule headlining the battery of rulebook adjustments.

More: 52 things we learned from Eagles-Patriots Super Bowl LII

More: Nick Foles, Eagles should wait before even considering trade

7. Will Le’Veon Bell get the contract of his dreams?

The Steelers' versatile star running back was a no-show during the bulk of the offseason and during training camp as he waited to sign his franchise tag tender. After he ultimately reported, it took a while for a well-conditioned Bell to regain the rhythm and flow in the offense. What he really wants is a sizable long-term contract, which might start to approach quarterback money.

8. How will Jon Gruden get a jump-start on grand expectations?

For $100 million on a 10-year contract, you’d think Gruden would be expected to guide the Raiders to a Super Bowl crown, ASAP. No doubt, he’ll be trying. But first things first. How Gruden meshes with quarterback Derek Carr in installing his new system will be crucial. Never mind the buzz about whether a personality clash looms — they’ll deal. The crux of the matter revolves around Gruden taking his young quarterback’s game to the next level.

9. Can Roger Goodell restore credibility with the Rooney Rule?

Add Goodell’s determination that the Raiders complied with the rule mandating that teams interview minority candidates before hiring a new coach on the list of situations that weaken his credibility. In the Raiders case, not only did team owner Mark Davis publicly admit to a timeline that seemingly violated the rule, but it is believed that he didn’t personally interview the minority candidates as he did Gruden, which also would be an issue. Goodell needs to back up the lip service by tightening the Rooney Rule — and then enforcing it. Another credibility test looms, too, with the manner in which the league investigates one of its own, Richardson, even as the Panthers being sold.

10. Which Vikings quarterback will wind up elsewhere?

With Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater in the process of rebounding from significant injuries, while fill-in Case Keenum proved to be better than projected, the Vikings seemingly have an abundance of riches at quarterback – albeit three quarterbacks who all are without contracts for next season. Who stays? Who starts? The odd man out might be the front-runner somewhere else, so that’s not the worst consolation prize.

Not very optimistic on my Redskins chances next year. The “experts” wanna keep saying getting Alex Smith is a good move but I’m not fooled. As long as Bruce Allen & Snyder call the shots this will not end well. If this team doesn’t fix the holes in the offseason they’re gonna bottom out as they should.

Mark my words, Jay Gruden will join his brothers coaching staff in 2019.

Resign
Brees and Vaccaro

Sign
Mo Claiborne or Butler (for the low)

Take a look at Ziggy and see what he’s asking for.

Draft a CB, TE and LB

Hey Cleveland, NY, Buffalo, Denver and Arizona I heard y'all needed a qb. Stop wasting draft picks on unproven players. Send those picks to the A and get the veteran franchise qb you've been looking for.

C23RCmAUcAA5HUj.jpg

Lol how can you be so sure?

thats some lightning in a bottle type shit

dont get me wrong, they had a great year, but people not sitting idle and just gone concede to Philly

that drunk off the SB shit is real lol.

Their first goal should be to make the playoffs as history has shown us its not as easy as people think and not guaranteed at all

Resign
Brees and Vaccaro

Sign
Mo Claiborne or Butler (for the low)

Take a look at Ziggy and see what he’s asking for.

Draft a CB, TE and LB
you think J.Graham's best days are behind him?

That TE position for the saints has been a gaping hole since he left. I think they bring him back on the cheap and he goes back to terrorizing secondaries in the open field and the endzone again

Brees just cant target him like he did previously. He gotta keep feeding Thomas.

I think Snead will have a bounce back year, and i keep remaining optimistic on Coleman for some reason, but his time might be over in Nola

To be 100

If Baker is their when we pick I wouldn’t be mad if we take him.

He would be our starter in 3 years and get to learn under Brees

1. Get LeVeon signed

2. Cut Mike Mitchell

3. Make a major acquisition at safety or mlb if we can afford it. Stop going after cheap FA. We need a difference maker.

4. Depending on if we sign a good fa at MLB or Safety go after those positions in the draft.

Either Rashaan Evans, Derwin James, or the S from Penn St.

5. Draft another versatile back like Penny, Ito Smith or Kerryon Johnson

Bruh.

I had completely forgot that McDaniels got caught trying to tape other teams practices.

Back