Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official MCU Thread

I think since the next Phase is going more cosmic

Earth and its heroes will play a larger part in the Skrull/Kree war

and I think the next possible big bad could be Galactus

Ive been trying to think about which cosmic story arcs in the comics they would most likely try to portray for the next phase

Its obvious after the events of the first 3 phases that Earth is no longer "off the radar" so to speak

The bold is what I've been thinking as well. It makes since with the completion of the Fox purchase. The build up could introduce so many characters.

I think since the next Phase is going more cosmic

Earth and its heroes will play a larger part in the Skrull/Kree war

and I think the next possible big bad could be Galactus

Ive been trying to think about which cosmic story arcs in the comics they would most likely try to portray for the next phase

Its obvious after the events of the first 3 phases that Earth is no longer "off the radar" so to speak
I feel like secret invasion will definitely be a big story arc in the next phases. Also some Dr. Doom stuff and possibly norman osborne

i really think Marvel has got to take some chances with the new acquisitions of characters

you can still have the kid friendly vibe and shit, but you cant be out here nerfing characters on the big screen.

All i've seen is a nerfed Dr Doom compared to his comic iteration

Marvel's 'Black Widow': New Details Revealed on Main Villain

Marvel's Black Widow movie is headed for the production pipeline, giving longtime Marvel Cinematic Universe alum Scarlett Johasson her first solo film to star in. We've recently learned that the Black Widow script is being rewritten by Ned Benson (The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby), and now we're hearing some rumors about the villains that could be featured in this latest version of the story.

THS is reporting that they information that helps to fill in some further details about the Black Widow character breakdowns revealed last fall - specifically, this one: "Marvel is seeking a male with open ethnicity in his 40s to portray the film’s villain, who is described only as “exciting.”"

Now, the site adds that, "The studio is now looking for either a Black British or African actor, 30-45, to portray a “tough, dangerous and mysterious” villain."

That specified bit of casting information knocks down one big fan theory, which stated Black Widow would be a Russian espionage story, pitting Johansson's Natasha Romanoff against some Marvel Comics Russian villain like Red Guardian, who has a tragic love story connection to Widow and her "Red Room" origin story. There's no specific Marvel villain character who springs to mind based on the description above, there's one theory about who the villain of Black Widow could be that still fits: Taskmaster.

In Marvel's Ultimate Comics Universe (1610) Taskmaster was Tony Masters, an ex-mercenary with the ability to mimic any powers he comes in contact with. He was drawn to look like a black man of middle age, so as stated, it fits with description given above. The original version of Taskmaster had no power absorption abilities; instead, he had "photographic reflexes" which he gained while working for SHIELD, which allowed him to mimic any person's physical movements (no matter how complex) simply by observing them. It wouldn't be surprising if Marvel Studios combined both the traditional and ultimate versions of Taskmaster into one Black Widow villain.

Some Marvel fans will be disappointed to learn that Black Widow will *not* be an R-Rated espionage flick like they were hoping for; however, including a villain like Taskmaster alongside Widow would certainly deliver a Marvel-level action movie, with some badass fight sequences. Sound good to you?

Avengers: Infinity War is now available on home video. Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universemovies include Captain Marvel on March 8th, Avengers: Endgame on April 26th, and Spider-Man: Far From Homeon July 5th.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/03/04/marvel-black-widow-movie-villain-details-taskmaster/

I'm thinking something more than just the sequels coming out. Like the phase 1 direction was always building to a fight with Thanos with the current set of Avengers. Will the end credits for End Game hint at the overall direction of the next phase, not just sequels coming out.

I'm with you and your thinking. I hope with the end credits of Endgame they start dropping the seeds for the next big bad. They don't even have to make it super obvious, just a couple of Easter eggs comic book fans can catch. That would be really cool

tumblr_pp3cruSN6m1rn1906o1_1280.png

Rumors going off that they are in talks with Angelina Jolie to star in "The Eternals".

Im kind of hype for that movie just because i know hardly anything about them and if they're practically gods that could lead to a dope ass movie.

Thor's a god though and hes had 2 lackluster films. We'll see how it turns out lol.

Who Is Angelina Jolie Playing In Marvel's 'The Eternals'?

The Internet reacted with excitement to the revelation this week that A-list Hollywood celebrity Angelina Jolie is in talks to take a leading role in Marvel's forthcoming Z-list superhero movie The Eternals. Created by Jack Kirby in 1976, The Eternals are nearly-immortal beings who are the byproduct of an evolutionary divergence in the race that created humanity millennia ago. The characters are tied into several of the concepts that Marvel has introduced in their "cosmic" movies, from Celestials (you saw the heroes hanging out in a Celestial head in Guardians of the Galaxy) to Thanos himself, whose mother was one of his victims.

Jolie is a performer with a lot of range, so there are any number of roles she could perceivably be playing in The Eternals, even if the synopsis suggested by The Hollywood Reporter -- that it "involves the love story between Ikaris, a man fueled by cosmic energy, and Sersi, who relishes moving amongst humans" -- suggests that a star of her caliber might be Sersi, who seems to nominally be the female lead. Even with that said, there are a lot of interesting characters in the mythology-influences and deeply textured world of The Eternals, created by New Gods and Inhumans mastermind Jack Kirby.

With a little help from the internet, we've run down the most obvious choices for Jolie to play in The Eternals -- assuming that she doesn't get a totally new part or something like that. You can check out our ideas below.

1537576283-sersi-1164845.jpeg

Assuming they hew fairly close to the comics canon, it would be difficult to imagine Jolie signing on to play anyone other than Sersi. She is far and away the most significant female member of the Eternals, and the one whose name shows up prominently in any plot synopsis that runs down the key themes of the series.

Here is her rundown from Wikipedia, which we will include for each candidate:

Manipulates molecules and atoms. Daughter of Helios and Perse. Sersi is the only Eternal who is a fifth-level adept at matter manipulation. Became famous in Greek Mythology through her encounter with Odysseus. Prefers to live among humans and likes to throw parties. Became an Avenger after Captain America asked her to transmute him so that he could go undercover as a teenager. Put herself into exile, but has since returned. Lover of Makkari.

thena-eternals-1164846.jpeg

Thena is the daughter of Zuras and Cybele, tying her to some of the biggest names in Greek mythology, so if you are going to be a big star in a movie like The Eternals, this may be oe of the more inviting character descriptions.

In the comics, she was originally named Azura, so don't be too surprised if that name comes up in any prospective film adaptation. The official reason for the change is that Zuras changed it to seal bond with Olympian gods. Often mistaken for Athena, Athens was built for her. At one point, Thena had twin children in affair with Kro and hid them, and only much later reconnected with those children after Dr. Daniel Damian tried to kill them (she also has another son who is fully human). Over the years, she has sought sanctuary with Heroes for Hire and the High Evolutionary.

cybele-eternals-custom-marvel-legends-1-071c09c6af83857d7cb58f75-1164847.jpeg

Mother of Thena and the wife of Zuras, Cybele is a solid choice for an actress whose last two major Disney gigs were playing Maleficent, the stepmother to Sleeping Beauty.

Cybele usually lives in a secluded forest in Colorado, and does not usually take part in the affairs of her people, even though she was technically their queen while Zuras was alive. Throughout human history, Cybele has been mistaken for Gaea, Dyndymae, Rhea, and Agdistis. While she generally steers clear of such things, Cybele aided the Eternals in battle against Ghaur, when he gained the power of the Dreaming Celestial.

pixie-eternals-1164848.jpeg

This one feels somewhat unlikely, if only because Jolie has a long history of playing overtly tough characters, so giving her a name like Pixie would seem like a weird choice for a casting director to make -- especially if it was the first piece of casting for the whole movie. Still, here's the rundown: Pixie is a member of the First Line, who uses her powers to turn people to stone while disguising it as an effect of her "pixie dust."

shastra-eternals-1164851.jpeg

This is a solid candidate if they hew close to the comics, if only because she is a largely blank slate who died in battle ages ago. One of the original Eternals, this could theoretically be a way to get an actor like Jolie if she does not want to be locked down to a multi-picture deal, by setting her up for a heroic sacrifice at some point in the film.

In the comics, Shastra has only figured into three issues -- and they were all What If...? comics. She had a fourth appearance, but it was in the old Marvel Handbook, and basically just gave a summary of what little was known about her up to then and presumably confirmed that outside of the world of What If...?, she is still a character who existed in the Marvel Universe.

sui-san-earth-616-from-thanos-rising-vol-1-1-001-1164852.jpeg

This is another solid candidate, in part because of her very explicit ties to Thanos and the potential to give her a story that would feel at home in the MCU. In the comics, Sui-San is a descendant of Uranos's followers on Titan, and the only survivor of the war on the surface of Titan. She was found by A'lars, who with her, founded the new Eternals of Titan -- something that certainly sounds like the makings of an origin movie to me. Sui-San's children included Eros and Thanos -- the latter of whom killed her during his attack on Titan, when he dissected her with a medical kit in the hopes of learning why he was different from other children.

It has been said that Avengers: Infinity War was really a movie about Thanos. Well, if you want a prequel to a movie like that, it seems like the life and death of his mother (whom he killed in what could arguably be called the moment he became truly irredeemable) is a solid place to start.

uni-mind-kirby-1164853.jpeg

These artificial structures that present as Eternals could be an interesting use of Jolie, essentially shunting her into a role not dissimilar to the one filled by Annette Bening in Captain Marvel.

Because the Uni-Mind -- a gestalt entity created by "collective energy of participants in the Ritual of the Uni-Mind" -- has long been a part of the Eternals mythology, similar entities have cropped up in various groups attached to the concept. Per the description on Wikipedia, "Eternals, Humans, Deviants and Brethren have been a part of Uni-Minds."

Zuras was the first Eternal to form a Uni-Mind, used it to determine who should become Prime Eternal -- and since then, the Prime Eternal alone has the power initiate a Uni-Mind. Following Zuras' death, a Uni-Mind left Earth, containing most of the Eternals' population. The Uni-Mind apparently still exists, though Ajak, and possibly others, have left it behind.

The Overmind, similarly, is the collected mind of the Eternals of Eyung. This one, strangely, has a kind of arch-nemesis: The former Eternals of Gigantus who were the mortal enemies of the Eternals of Eyung. All the Eternals of Gigantus are now deceased. They had placed their minds into a gestalt being much in the same way the Eternals from Eyung did with the Overmind. This creature was accidentally killed by The Stranger, who later claimed to be the composite Gigantian Eternal during an encounter with the Overmind.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/03/28/who-is-angelina-jolie-playing-in-marvels-the-eternals-/#7

However its been a long running rumor that with the introduction of the Skrulls in Captain Marvel that Marvel has plans to bring Secret Invasion to the MCU. Will be interesting what they do after End Game. They are basically going to be starting from scratch.

It was a long time ago, but Feige said in the future phases they do not plan to have a long running arc like "The Infinity Saga". They expect to have big world ending villains similar to Thanos, but they said to not expect it to happen over 3 phases. They will probably wrap them up in one phase maybe 2 phases.

Its lengthy, but I think i like the long running arcs like they did with Thanos. Since the first couple years, we knew he was out there plotting, we just didnt know when he would show up. Everyone expected Avengers 2 to be his debut, but that ended up being Ultron. Despite taking a long time, it really paid off for marvel in the long run. People were excited to see every single movie to see every little step leading up to Infinity War. I think for the sake of storytelling and longevity they should keep that same approach. It gave them millions of die hard fans who see literally everything released. I went and saw Antman and Captain Marvel, 2 heroes I dont care for at all, but just had to see them so i didnt miss any pieces of the puzzle. Im glad I did too because even though they werent my favorite films, I still enjoyed them for their own story and how it pushed the overall story.

X-Men Won't Appear in MCU for "Very Long Time"

If you were hoping to see Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, or the rest of the X-Men in the Marvel Cinematic Universe any time soon, you're out of luck. Even though the live-action rights for all off mutantkind now reside at The Walt Disney Company and Marvel Studios, studio boss Kevin Feige insists that characters won't be appearing in the shared cinematic universe for "a very long time." Speaking with io9 at a recent Avengers: Endgame press event, the studio exec dashed any hope of the characters appearing any time soon.

“It’ll be a while. It’s all just beginning and the five-year plan that we’ve been working on, we were working on before any of that was set,” Feige says about the characters join the shared entertainment universe. "So really it’s much more, for us, less about specifics of when and where [the X-Men will appear] right now and more just the comfort factor and how nice it is that they’re home. That they’re all back. But it will be a very long time.”

As expected, Feige and company methodically plan movies years out and weave a complex series of interconnecting films and tales. By the time the Disney and Fox deal finally closed last month, Marvel Studios had already had the majority of their "Phase 4" planned prior to their ability to use the characters acquired in the merger. In addition to the hundreds of X-Men characters the Burbank-based studio regained control of, Marvel Studios also now owns the film and television rights those under the Fantastic Four umbrella, including Marvel's First Family and iconic villains such as Dr. Doom, Galactus, and Annihilus.

With two X-Men franchise titles leftover from the Fox days yet to be released, Marvel Studios would likely choose to tap into the Fantastic Four library first, with a character like Galactus being a prime candidate for the next Thanos-level buildup over the course of a decade.

Captain Marvel is now in theaters. Other upcoming Marvel Studios films include Avengers: Endgame on April 26th and Spider-Man: Far From Home on July 5th.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/04/08/when-will-x-men-join-mcu/

Back