Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official Gardening Thread

I usually cop some seeds from

Yall know of any other sites?
I usually will hit the nurseries in my area its like 4-5 in my area. Then I'll hit lowes or home depot. Never ordered online though.

Finally finished building the polytunnel and raised beds couple weeks ago, what a mission though... I swear it would had been easier to build a house than putting this thing together!!!

Anyways, I planted sweetcorn, carrots, red cabbage, white & red onions and a cucumber plant... Just started seeing the onions and carrots sprouting which is a relief...

If I dont get a good harvest this year Im gonna burn it down, give up gardening and become a carnivore...

0VzN3I.jpg

5fhNtd.jpg

Onions sticking their heads up... Hoping I get more than one cucumber this year too!!! lol

swVQp3.jpg

I decided to just plant kale in the Trug this year... Its growing pretty quick...

8K2q1E.jpg

Last edited:
The stuff in the green house seems to be doing well too, should be getting some tomatoes and strawberries popping up soon...

Funny I ordered just over 3 tons of topsoil thats mixed with compost for the raised beds and thought any leftover I can use for the fruit bushes, as I want to work on that area next but I also decided to use some for the plants in my greenhouse and Trug too and it seems to be better than the 100% compost...

I found the pure compost doesnt really soak the water up too well and I get that green, algae, mould type looking stuff on the top, which is why I mainly water them via capillary... With this topsoil/compost mix though, it soaks up water really well and you can give the plants a good soaking on top too without the water just sitting there... Only downside is Ive had a quite few ants in the greenhouse that Ive had to murk with sticky fly traps...

@Inori have you worked with a topsoil/compost mix before???

She growing fast.
Do I have to prune to promote more growth yet?
And what do I do about the fuzzy shit
View attachment 813241

Thats looking good, my mistake last year was not pruning enough, check with some others on here/Google etc but I if you prune the branches that just have leaves the plant puts more energy into pushing the tomato buds (whatever theyre called)... Last year I didnt know much about pruning into really late but once I started giving it regular hair cuts the plant produced tons more fruit...

This year Ive got a few tomato plants on the go that Im keeping on top of but Ive also got one that Im gonna be really strict with and probably over prune but still what happens...

The stuff in the green house seems to be doing well too, should be getting some tomatoes and strawberries popping up soon...

Funny I ordered just over 3 tons of topsoil thats mixed with compost for the raised beds and thought any leftover I can use for the fruit bushes, as I want to work on that area next but I also decided to use some for the plants in my greenhouse and Trug too and it seems to be better than the 100% compost...

I found the pure compost doesnt really soak the water up too well and I get that green, algae, mould type looking stuff on the top, which is why I mainly water them via capillary... With this topsoil/compost mix though, it soaks up water really well and you can give the plants a good soaking on top too without the water just sitting there... Only downside is Ive had a quite few ants in the greenhouse that Ive had to murk with sticky fly traps...

@Inori have you worked with a topsoil/compost mix before???

Dope setup bruh!

Regarding top soil and compost yah I've worked with it before. The compost I make tends to be a bit clunkier so I typically have to break it up and mix it with my soil so that it's uniform. If I find its holding too much moisture I add some perlite to the mix and that helps it out alot with drainage

That one is muscle miracle gro. And I got some other plant food that I mixed in with the soil. As the lady told me the good stuff. I'll snap a pic and post today
@Water Ur Seeds you got it looking damn good over there

Thanks bro... I was wondering what I could put on the other veg, especially fruit bushes like blueberries and goji berries...

Yeah its been a labour of love but hoping its mostly sorted now and can enjoy planting and picking here on out... Gonna sort my fruit section out next... Im sure my neighbours think Im growing bud haha

Dope setup bruh!

Regarding top soil and compost yah I've worked with it before. The compost I make tends to be a bit clunkier so I typically have to break it up and mix it with my soil so that it's uniform. If I find its holding too much moisture I add some perlite to the mix and that helps it out alot with drainage

Ahh ok that makes sense, if you make your own with soil it sounds similar to the topsoil/compost mix I got atm...

I been picking the mint and steeping it in water but Im still determined to try your dehydrating steez this year too!!!

Thanks bro... I was wondering what I could put on the other veg, especially fruit bushes like blueberries and goji berries...

Yeah its been a labour of love but hoping its mostly sorted now and can enjoy planting and picking here on out... Gonna sort my fruit section out next... Im sure my neighbours think Im growing bud haha
20220510_145309.jpg

Good looking out brother, Im gonna see if I can get that in UK (or an equivalent)...

Also @Inori or anyone else... Ive just gone to my raised beds and see Ive got some mushroom looking (or fungi) stalks popping up an area!!! Right next to where my sweetcorn and carrots are planted... Has anyone had this happen before???

I did a Google and see its not that uncommon but it would be good to actually hear from someone whos had first hand experience of this and what you done... Not sure if I should pick them off now or leave them...

Back