Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official 2019/2020 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
'I do not think it is acceptable to be judged by the colour of our skin': Derby star Max Lowe hits back in racism row after BBC radio pundit Craig Ramage claimed 'all the young black lads needed pulling down a peg or two'

• Craig Ramage appeared on the BBC Radio Derby Sportscene show
  • He said 'young black lads' in the team need 'pulling down a peg a two'
  • Ramage began his career at Derby, where he played between 1988 and 1994
  • Kick It Out chief Troy Townsend and Derby players have led the condemnation
Derby defender Max Lowe has hit out at a BBC radio pundit who sparked a race row by criticising the club's 'young black lads' and claiming they need 'pulling down a peg or two.'
Former Rams midfielder Craig Ramage made the extraordinary comments during BBC Radio Derby Sportscene show, following Phillip Cocu's side's 1-1 draw against Huddersfield.
Speaking on the show Ramage said: 'When I look at certain players, their body language, their stance, the way they act, you just feel, hold on a minute, he needs pulling down a peg or two.

24809580-0-image-m-20_1581873836396.jpg

'So I'd probably say that about all the young black lads, all the young advice if they wanted it, that, you know, it's about, when you are struggling for form, you are going through a sticky patch, it's about going back to basics, working hard, and doing the right things.'

After hearing of the hugely controversial quotes, the Championship outfit released a statement slamming Ramage.

'Derby County Football Club is aware of comments made by a BBC employee after yesterday's game against Huddersfield Town, directed specifically at a section of our young players.
'We have been in contact with the BBC throughout the day and underline that we do not in any way condone any form of discrimination.
'We take comments like these extremely seriously, we do not tolerate them, and stand shoulder to shoulder, together as one with all our players.'

24809576-0-image-a-28_1581873946913.jpg

Max Lowe has led the criticism of Ramage's comments made on BBC Radio Derby Sportscene

Derby first-team coach Liam Rosenior said: 'In reading this quote I HAVE to respond and ask BBC Derby Sport to confirm this quote and I'm happy to challenge this openly. Unacceptable.'

Left-back Lowe, was an unused sub against Huddersfield and left deeply upset by Ramage's comments but felt compelled to stand up and speak out to highlight the issue himself.

He said: 'As a young black footballer making my way in the game, I was shocked by comments made by one of the analysts on BBC Radio Derby's Sportscene programme after our 1-1 draw with Huddersfield.
'With the support from people I have around me – and after reading today that Raheem Sterling is to spearhead an anti-racism and anti-discrimination taskforce on behalf of players from all backgrounds – I have decided to speak out on behalf of all black footballers at Derby County.
'Racial ignorance, stereotyping and intolerance negatively affects the image of impressionable young footballers and creates an unnecessary divide in society.
'I am also disappointed that a public service broadcaster did not step in to ask the analyst to explain his reasoning or to distance themselves from these archaic thoughts.
'This was a broadcast at the same time BBC Derby is promoting a 27-minute feature with former Rams defender Charlie Palmer about the difficulties he faced as a young black footballer in the 1980s.

'As a professional footballer at an ambitious, high-profile Championship club I know that my performances will be scrutinised and I have no problem with that whatsoever – but I do not think it is acceptable for myself and my teammate Jayden Bogle to be judged by the colour of our skin.
'Thank you for taking your time reading this – in a world where you can be anything, be kind.'

Ramage spent six years at Derby, where he started his professional career, between 1988 and 1994. He has also featured three times for England under-21s.

BBC radio pundit Craig Ramage SACKED for claiming 'all the young black lads needed pulling down a peg or two' at Derby as full-back Max Lowe hits back in racism row: 'I do not think it is acceptable to be judged by the colour of our skin'

I'd feel some type of way if my own teammates and coach were doing this.....

Also, LOL and SMH at bringing off the black man (Marega) being racially abused to only then bring on another black man (Manafa)!
Bro, that short player....I would have took him out there and then on the pitch and presented myself to the nearest police officer to get arrested. Fuck that, my own team mate telling me how to feel when the crowd calling me a nigger....fuck outta here

This made me angry...my Monday morning is ruined because of racism in football...smfh

Last edited:
The defending and goal keeping needs to improve.

Liverpool better enjoy it. This shit wont happen again next season.

Liverpool fans at work hate it when I tell them they won the league cause everyone else was shit...

They feel like they fought the hardest...nah...Even City was shit and VAR has been on your side all season.

@toheeb27 why are you caping for Man City and Pepe, Captain?

Nobody is ever coming to the defense of Chelsea, as a matter of fact the majority of posters in here feel Chelsea should be banned from Europe for their past financial sins.

Actually FFP was designed to stop what the Glazers are doing with Utd. The problem they have is the large debt the Glazers put on the club is serviceable because interest rates are so low and Utd bring in so much revenue.

Had City been more forth coming with investigators this wouldn’t be happening to them. Instead they went to CAS to get the investigation thrown out which suggests guilt rather than be happy to prove their innocence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back