Welcome To aBlackWeb

The lack of fundamentals in pro sports today....

Mister B.

The Devil’s Greatest Advocate…..
I mean, I see it across the board:

Basketball - fouling 3-point shooters is an everyday thing now, and 3s on a fast break instead of going to the hoop.

Football - DBs not turning their heads when they cover WRs on deep throws.

Baseball - This swinging for the fences mentality instead of having plate discipline.

Boxing - Non-defensive fighters who seemingly have no combo skills, just knockout power.

So, what’s with the shift in abandoning the basics?

Poor coaching? Sign of the times? Change in pace, or a desired to be loved for entertaining instead of winning?

And where is all this going? 200 point games by teams in the NBA? 70-80 point NFL games? 100 HR seasons?

Last edited:
Great topic

I wanna add some stuff I see almost daily when I ref. I'll be back

I think the basics are still adhered to for the most part except for when people are feeling themselves

The wanna be curry's make it look the worst tho.
Unless you're steph on a fast break u should be going to the hoop. Coaches need to break these lil bastards ankles when they do otherwise.

Millenials...

Bro I'm tellin' you. In soccer these millennial niggas no where near as good as the generation they replaced. They don't have string mentalities, can't take criticism and nuff of them have poor poor fundamentals.
What they do have, though, is confidence. That's coz they get their dicks ducked in Twitter and YouTube every day since they're like 14.

In

aight

so, i think at some point as sports fans, we've all wanted to emulate the people we saw on TV

I think this generation is more enamored with the end result and not the work that was put in. I see all kinds of kids just coming down court, feet and posture not square, jacking up threes b/c they see steph do it. A lot of them only know of him and his most recent success and not his early struggles in the NBA nor his success at Davidson

Oh, but they got all the gear on and shit to look pretty.

Post play is dying in high school basketball. The guy on the block is only used to set baseline screens. No one is going through him to play inside out. I think thats on the coaching trying to emulate GSW and "PUSH PUSH PUSH" the ball up the court. In high school here, there is no shot clock, so im not sure why in a game where its been super close all game, that you dont hold the ball to make them come out and guard you. They'll end up taking a bad shot and the opposition rebounds, then scores on the other end.

But back to fundamentals...Kids dont properly set screens b/c they see dudes like Draymond set illegal ones, and rarely get called for the infraction.

In the event there is a post presence, there is no good footwork by these kids. Basically a shoulder dip (offensive foul) then go up with a shot. No one is really working with these kids anymore

Bro I'm tellin' you. In soccer these millennial niggas no where near as good as the generation they replaced. They don't have string mentalities, can't take criticism and nuff of them have poor poor fundamentals.
What they do have, though, is confidence. That's coz they get their dicks ducked in Twitter and YouTube every day since they're like 14.

In
is false confidence.......
it has no backing,......thats why they cant take criticism. its all backed on entitlement.
confidence comes from knowing your good thru competition and practice and belief in your abilities because its been tested.

aight

so, i think at some point as sports fans, we've all wanted to emulate the people we saw on TV

I think this generation is more enamored with the end result and not the work that was put in. I see all kinds of kids just coming down court, feet and posture not square, jacking up threes b/c they see steph do it. A lot of them only know of him and his most recent success and not his early struggles in the NBA nor his success at Davidson

Post play is dying in high school basketball. The guy on the block is only used to set baseline screens. No one is going through him to play inside out. I think thats on the coaching trying to emulate GSW and "PUSH PUSH PUSH" the ball up the court. In high school here, there is no shot clock, so im not sure why in a game where its been super close all game, that you dont hold the ball to make them come out and guard you. They'll end up taking a bad shot and the opposition rebounds, then scores on the other end.

But back to fundamentals...Kids dont properly set screens b/c they see dudes like Draymond set illegal ones, and rarely get called for the infraction.

In the event there is a post presence, there is no good footwork by these kids. Basically a shoulder dip (offensive foul) then go up with a shot. No one is really working with these kids anymore
i get the emulating part.......
i spoke about this back on the old site and got lambasted.
you can emulate but you need to prove you CAN emulate.

which then goes to what @CeLLar-DooR was saying is they have all the confidence in the world. but backed up with what?

but we cant blame the player as much as we need to blame the coach and the parents.
control and smarts are needed.

the whole thing revolves around wanting the spotlight before you are ready....entitlement.

them very same people saying niggas from older eras cant play in this era keep forgetting they will be the old generation soon.

case in point....

lil kim, nikki minaj, cardi b

For Bball I would say it's on the AAU "coaches", they're more into managing personalities than coaching fundamentals. They all want to be Phil Jackson...

i wouldnt blame them as they only really "coach" these kids in the spring and summer

i put it more on the HS coaches who pander to some of their star players.

They had a dude in a game i called last summer that supposedly was supposed to be some top recruit from Virginia or somewhere. Tall, skinny kid. Maybe 6'5, but all he could do was jump. Now i know they dont really run any sets in AAU/Summer ball, but when he wasnt playing defense, he was just snowbirding to get breakaway dunks.

Didnt take anyone off the dribble

Didnt post up

Didnt shoot over the top of anyone

nothing

i wouldnt blame them as they only really "coach" these kids in the spring and summer

i put it more on the HS coaches who pander to some of their star players.

They had a dude in a game i called last summer that supposedly was supposed to be some top recruit from Virginia or somewhere. Tall, skinny kid. Maybe 6'5, but all he could do was jump. Now i know they dont really run any sets in AAU/Summer ball, but when he wasnt playing defense, he was just snowbirding to get breakaway dunks.

Didnt take anyone off the dribble

Didnt post up

Didnt shoot over the top of anyone

nothing
which brings me to where we are with ....nevermind..

imma let this go on a bit more

aight

Middle school/HS/College kids work 100% harder than those in the past and its not even close.

ppl used to treat the off season as a real off season. Kids working 24/7 to be the best so that shit you said is 100% false

Middle school/HS/College kids work 100% harder than those in the past and its not even close.

ppl used to treat the off season as a real off season. Kids working 24/7 to be the best so that shit you said is 100% false

how are they working harder Shiz?

Im not telling you some shit i heard, im giving you a first hand account

the only thing these kids are doing now more than the previous generation is they play basketball damn near year round

I've seen kids from their freshman year to senior year in my time calling. Granted my sample size is small b/c Baton Rouge hasnt really had any real talent since Big Baby and Tyrus Thomas

The only player in my time that has been fortunate enough to make the league is former LSU player Brandon Sampson. Dude was just flat out better than everyone they played against in HS. He didnt "work" for anything in HS. Maybe once he got to LSU, but in HS, nah.

Also reffed Javontae Smart (currently a freshman at LSU)...again, another player who is just naturally better than most of the players he faced in HS. The game has changed for him at LSU. Thats not to say he wont get better or continue to improve, but when Jovantae wasnt taking someone off the drive, he was bricking 15ft jumpers and couldnt hit 3's a consistent clip. He was a Gatorade Player of the Year for crying out loud, but b/c they didnt play no real teams outside of a couple games in their schedule, he was able to pad his stats.

Try again

Back