The Joe Budden Podcast Thread

Loch121

OG
Dec 24, 2017
ABW Bucks
$5,840,966
But shit Nelly sold like 30 million albums just in the US in those 5 yrs so it don't even matter what happened after that.

He made it do what it do.

Reactions: WilberDMillz

King Freeman

Go n hit sumbody else with all that smoke nigga
2021 ABW Best Foreigner 2x
Dec 19, 2017
ABW Bucks
$24,541,114
whoa whoa...whats the context...i dont listen to JBP
Basically they was saying some of the souths biggest golden age acts (wayne, jezzy, cash money, master p, no limit, etc) had to get broken in NY to get over.

Niggas been going back n forth the last 3-4 pages. I was scrolling through expecting you to be on niggas necks since that's home turf.

King Freeman

Go n hit sumbody else with all that smoke nigga
2021 ABW Best Foreigner 2x
Dec 19, 2017
ABW Bucks
$24,541,114
I'm not gonna deep dive into the convo and I haven't watched the pod yet so pardon me if it's been brought up but today's biggest hip hop artist Drake had to go through the south (wayne, CM, j prince) to crossover and blow up.

Loch121

OG
Dec 24, 2017
ABW Bucks
$5,840,966
Basically they was saying some of the souths biggest golden age acts (wayne, jezzy, cash money, master p, no limit, etc) had to get broken in NY to get over.

Niggas been going back n forth the last 3-4 pages. I was scrolling through expecting you to be on niggas necks since that's home turf.
it wasn't a turf war to me,I'm not from NY,I live in the south,but also I study the music industry.

I shouldn't be a south/NY thing but a hip hop/music history fact thing.

I mean regardless of how much pull NY had or has the southern sound has no doubt been running things since like 2005.

I wasn't trying to shit on southern acts,just by saying how shit went down from the info and experience I know.

Some shit that was super popular in the south east never went past Texas on the west and maybe VA on the north.

AP2.5

People not ready for the upgrade
Site Administrator
2021 ABW Mod of the Year
Jan 18, 2017
ABW Bucks
$413,214,670

yeeeeeeaaaaahhhh

i already made my list of things that i'ma gaf about for the day and this aint on it

niggas not gonna be honest anyway cause niggas think the garden of Eden and everything that came after has roots in NY and cant fathom that shit happens without them being at the front and center of it.

NY niggas are the uncle that played ball with you once when you were 5 but when you make it to the league, they swear they played an integral role in your development....nah

WilberDMillz

Car Junkie
Dec 20, 2017
Arkansas
ABW Bucks
$5,236,999
it wasn't a turf war to me,I'm not from NY,I live in the south,but also I study the music industry.

I shouldn't be a south/NY thing but a hip hop/music history fact thing.

I mean regardless of how much pull NY had or has the southern sound has no doubt been running things since like 2005.

I wasn't trying to shit on southern acts,just by saying how shit went down from the info and experience I know.

Some shit that was super popular in the south east never went past Texas on the west and maybe VA on the north.
Right, this applies to Mike Jones, Flip, Slim Thug, and paul wall. I'd say they are national artist and they never "broke" in NY. Cham the only one to kinda break like that.

Reactions: Loch121
Dec 24, 2017
ABW Bucks
$2,423,915
Wayne didn't need NY to blow. Wayne was gonna blow like he did regardless because on top of the mixtapes that's also when that ridiculous feature run where from like 2006-2009 started too. So alot of his increased presence and album sales during the time between Tha Carter 1 and 2 was also because since he was literally putting himself everywhere he'd gotten exposed to more people.

The main thing that Dipset did for Wayne though was it showed that he was out rapping alot of people for a while but it didn't click until niggas heard him over east coast beats. Those songs were basically an extension of mixtape Wayne where people hearing him outside of the Cash Money/Mannie Fresh sound let alot of people know that he actually was a good rapper and not just riding a popular wave created by simply being on Cash Money during their initial peak

100MBS

Mar 16, 2018
ABW Bucks
$145,540
Wayne didn't need NY to blow. Wayne was gonna blow like he did regardless because on top of the mixtapes that's also when that ridiculous feature run where from like 2006-2009 started too. So alot of his increased presence and album sales during the time between Tha Carter 1 and 2 was also because since he was literally putting himself everywhere he'd gotten exposed to more people.

The main thing that Dipset did for Wayne though was it showed that he was out rapping alot of people for a while but it didn't click until niggas heard him over east coast beats. Those songs were basically an extension of mixtape Wayne where people hearing him outside of the Cash Money/Mannie Fresh sound let alot of people know that he actually was a good rapper and not just riding a popular wave created by simply being on Cash Money during their initial peak
Word folks acting like Wayne wasn't a better rapper than Dipset. NY vs The South has always been a one sided beef in my opinion.

unSCENE

Dec 22, 2017
ABW Bucks
$126,527
I think it’s better to keep it simple.

Who do you guys think got more out of the affiliation. Dipset or Wayne? And then what was that benefit?

Mr.LV

OG
Dec 22, 2017
ABW Bucks
$1,778,089
All those down South rappers were big before New York started to really notice them. But a lot of their record sales increased when New York fanbase was added to the fold.

Nobody

Nov 9, 2018
ABW Bucks
$1,428,381
Better question is was it NY or Gillie's pen that propelled his success. Either way, whatever Joe says is correct.

dodge

Forever blessed…and I hope everyone is the same
Nov 29, 2020
Brooklyn NY
ABW Bucks
$74,205
Word folks acting like Wayne wasn't a better rapper than Dipset. NY vs The South has always been a one sided beef in my opinion.
One of the main reasons why the South won is because of how much unity they have there. Petty beefs sure but the unity is bigger

I’m from NYC and we always acted smug to other parts of the country and now it’s the young rappers from here who are riding the same wave as the south.

I want the East Coast to reinvent its sound

WilberDMillz

Car Junkie
Dec 20, 2017
Arkansas
ABW Bucks
$5,236,999
Didn't agree with much of what they were saying when talking about Ari Lennox.

But when Budden said " the new generation has a habit of taking impactful words and using them casually" I felt that.