Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Early 80s Best Song Tournament (Preliminaries)

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
OK so we did a tournament for every song from 1988-present.

Now it's time to do 1979-1987

Considering most of the people on this board would be hearing the songs out of context, a 64 bracket tournament would be asinine.

I'm thinking I'll just post my favorite songs from that year and ya'll can vote, unless somebody has a better idea.

OK so we did a tournament for every song from 1988-present.

Now it's time to do 1979-1987

Considering most of the people on this board would be hearing the songs out of context, a 64 bracket tournament would be asinine.

I'm thinking I'll just post my favorite songs from that year and ya'll can vote, unless somebody has a better idea.

a 64-song bracket is fitting

these were THEE eras for the singles.

this time period deserves its own bracket.

a 64-song bracket is fitting

these were THEE eras for the singles.

this time period deserves its own bracket.

Well, it depends on the year.

For example, if we're talking 1979, there's only a handful of songs worth mentioning.

1982 is either The Message or Planet Rock. There's really no point in having a tournament

1983-84 might warrant a 16 bracket tournament

85/86/87 were good years, but I can predict who would be in the final four for each year.

Well, it depends on the year.

For example, if we're talking 1979, there's only a handful of songs worth mentioning.

1982 is either The Message or Planet Rock. There's really no point in having a tournament

1983-84 might warrant a 16 bracket tournament

85/86/87 were good years, but I can predict who would be in the final four for each year.

you can say this about pretty much every year period.

sounds like your heart just isn't into it because it was before your time.

Well I wanted to get some dialogue before I made the poll. But only one person responded.

Are you doing a poll for each year of the 80s , are you making one bracket for 80-87, what are your plans?

Are you doing a poll for each year of the 80s , are you making one bracket for 80-87, what are your plans?

A poll for every year.

But I don't think people are familiar with a lot of songs from the early 80s. For example, there are approximately 40 rap songs from 1979. But you've probably never heard most of them. So it would be pointless to do a 40 song tournament. I picked what I considered to be the best songs and made a poll.

Do you have a better idea?

A poll for every year.

But I don't think people are familiar with a lot of songs from the early 80s. For example, there are approximately 40 rap songs from 1979. But you've probably never heard most of them. So it would be pointless to do a 40 song tournament. I picked what I considered to be the best songs and made a poll.

Do you have a better idea?

We just did an RnB tournament and most people voted for all the old mfs from the 60s and 70s. I'm pretty sure there's other people who are somewhat familiar with hiphop in the 80s.

Just let everybody nominate the songs they wanna nominate like we normally do.

We just did an RnB tournament and most people voted for all the old mfs from the 60s and 70s. I'm pretty sure there's other people who are somewhat familiar with hiphop in the 80s.

Just let everybody nominate the songs they wanna nominate like we normally do.

I'll do that from 1980/81/82/83/84/85/86/87

But I think the 1979 poll is fine the way it is. Realistically I can't see any other song winning besides the 4 that I picked.

I don't really know much about 80s hip hop/rap, but I'll try it out.

Kool Moe Dee "Wild Wild West"

Rakim "I Ain't No Joke"

Big Daddy Kane "Aint No Half Steppin"

J.J. Fad "Supersonic"

Rob Base "It Takes Two"

Back