Welcome To aBlackWeb

The 2018-2019 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Mister

Ignorance can be remedied. Stupidity is incurable.
Lakers.jpg

Looks like the threads for the upcoming season are being made so it's only right that the most important thread get started. Bring on the optimism, pessimism and ridiculous prognostications.

I'm excited about this season and can't wait to see how BI, Kuz, Lonzo and Hart look coming into the season.

Last edited:
Very intrigued to see how this fits together.. and This is certainly new.. i cant root for Lebron to lose...this is something else ..

Hope he remains healthy.. Let the good times roll

#basketballreasons

is it really time?

tumblr_lyhhf3yYQI1qbtj1l.gif

yall lied to me last year and said it was safe with lonzo......

i normally hate lebron..... but i'll give him a purple yellow pardon for the next 8 months or so.....

Do any of you have an ideal starting five to start the season?

Do any of you have an ideal starting five to start the season?

McGee
Bron
BI
KCP
Zo

By midseason I hope Josh can supplant KCP but to start the year I’d give the vet kcp the starting nod. Although I think Josh may close games regardless.

Kuz will be in the running for 6th man.

When I did my predictions I forgot that Kuz would still be coming off the bench. He's my pick to win it. He's been down to work out with Kobe this summer so I can't wait to see what he picked up.

Glad to see Lonzo recovering well from his knee surgery.

Does not look like they "changed" the shot, but they have tighten it and made the whole process quicker.

I have always thought Lonzo Ball's jump shot is like if Shawn Marion's shot and Kevin Durant's shot had an baby. They have taken out some of the Shawn Marion aspects of it and left in more of the Durant aspects of the shot.

Glad to see Lonzo recovering well from his knee surgery.

Does not look like they "changed" the shot, but they have tighten it and made the whole process quicker.

I have always thought Lonzo Ball's jump shot is like if Shawn Marion's shot and Kevin Durant's shot had an baby. They have taken out some of the Shawn Marion aspects of it and left in more of the Durant aspects of the shot.

I'm glad they didn't try to remake his shot. His shot is still a little slow but hopefully his confidence is back up this year.

@toheeb27 drop your top 10 PGs in the thread, Big Homie

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...s-make-lasting-impact-hometown-flint-michigan

NOT FAR FROM the Flint YMCA, the roar of supercharged engines of classic, custom and collector American cars can be heard as they cruise down Saginaw Street.

Residents line up along the street in lawn chairs to catch a glimpse of the classic cars that are trickling in for the upcoming "Back to the Bricks" rolling cruise, a tradition that annually draws more than 500,000 car show enthusiasts.

It's a reminder of Flint's glory days, when the local automobile industry was thriving and GM and Buick had busy plants in the city. It's also a brief distraction for locals to take their minds off of wondering whether their tap water is truly safe to drink.

At its peak in the 1960s, Flint was home to nearly 200,000 residents. GM once employed 85,000 people in Flint. But in 2017, Flint's population stood at barely more than 96,000, with the median household income averaging $25,650 and 41.9 percent of the city living in poverty, according to the U.S. Census Bureau report.

In the past four decades, Flint has endured the departure of much of its lifeline -- the automobile industry -- from its city, the ensuing economic hardship, a crime rate that had Flint ranked in last year's top-10 most violent cities, according to FBI data, and a contaminated water crisis that became a state of emergency and could impact generations for years to come.

"Well, I'll tell you, it's hell," said John Wade, who has lived in Flint for 61 years and worked for GM. "It's hell for us. ... Everything."

"It is definitely disheartening that we continue to let a city in America do this."

The city's economy and population steadily shrank after GM downsized in the 1980s. The state of Michigan took over the city's declining finances in 2011, and the city announced it would be switching to the Flint River as its water source.

Not long after the switch in 2014, lifelong residents such as Dorothy Rogers began noticing the color of the water noticeably changing. When she filled her bathtub with water, an inch and a half of dirt formed at the bottom of the tub. It wasn't long before she developed "blotches all over."

The Environmental Protection Agency and Virginia Tech University did tests in 2015 that indicated dangerous levels of lead discovered in residents' homes.

Rogers said she began using three to four bottles of water to rinse the contaminated water off her after showers and used bottled water for cooking and drinking. She eventually joined a gym where there was clean water just to utilize the showers. But her husband's health worsened and her miniature pinscher's hair began falling out.

"My husband already had chronic health issues, and it just got worse," Rogers said. "We can't prove that [the contaminated water] is what it was because he did pass away. He passed with pneumonia that caused the heart to stop. He was 53."

Moses Bingham, the director of the Safe Places program that Kuzma visited at the Flint YMCA, was taking his 8-year-old daughter, Genesis, to school recently when she began panicking because she forgot to pack her water bottle.

"She almost had a nervous breakdown," said Bingham, who grew up in Flint. "I want my kids to be kids. I don't want them to be worried about what they have to drink at school like they are going to run out of water, like we don't have it. Kids from Flint are no different from any other kids in the world. They deserve the right to have clean water, the right to get a good education, just the basics of what we think of America and the American dream."

"[But] we are known for being resilient," Bingham added of Flint. "Some of the things that we have faced, America is facing now. We went through the automotive crisis, we faced that 10, 20 years before everyone else and we took that blow and we showed America we can make it. So we take this water blow and we can make it."

Kuzma plans to continue spreading awareness about his hometown's plight, much like Miss Michigan Emily Sioma did at this year's Miss America 2019 pageant. In a moment that went viral earlier this week, Sioma introduced herself on the Miss America stage by saying, "From the state with 84 percent of the U.S. fresh water but none for its residents to drink."

With 1.9 million followers on Instagram and another 460,000 on Twitter reading his tweets, Kuzma's reach will continue to expand as his game and the Lakers grow alongside James.

"Sometimes the mayor or we [The Flintstones] are saying something, it really does not resonate with people," Bell said. "But when you got somebody like Kyle who plays for one of the most famous franchises ever and with one of the best athletes of all time, people are going to listen. He has more reach than just about anybody I know [from Flint] right now."

"I want my kids to be kids. I don't want them to be worried about what they have to drink at school like they are going to run out of water, like we don't have it."Flint native Moses Bingham
As Kuzma conducts a Q&A with the kids at the YMCA, one asks something that everyone in the room wants to know.

"Have you talked to LeBron yet?" a kid asked.

Kuzma said he has, to the delight of the kids. Perhaps one day, Kuzma will talk to James about a deeper subject, like how to help Flint the way James has with Akron.

"LeBron is a role model in that sense," Kuzma said. "Because for him to be as good as he is and how high up he is on the totem pole, to still care about Akron, Ohio, that is tremendous and speaks volumes."

"He is from a small city and I am from a small city. So I want to [have] that type of impact on my community."

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/09/1...-to-play-for-croatia-in-world-cup-qualifiers/

Ivica Zubac says Lakers not thrilled he chose to play for Croatia in World Cup qualifiers
By Kurt HelinSep 17, 2018, 8:58 AM EDT

Lakers’ big man Ivica Zubac was one of the nearly couple dozen NBA players who decided to play in the September FIBA World Qualifiers. His Croatian team has a few of them with them including Dario Saric of the Sixers and Bojan Bogdanovic of the Pacers.

Just don’t think the Lakers were happy about it.

Ivica Zubac revealed Lakers weren’t happy with his decision to play in FIBA quals but he understood Croatia needed him: “I think nobody is a fan of this FIBA system. It’s hard & not fair to some teams, especially Croatia. But we got to do our best to get out of this situation”

Teams are never entirely comfortable with their players suiting up for national teams, in large part due to the injury risk (remember Dante Exum blew out his ACL in international competition). Especially right now, they would rather have the player working out at their facility.

Nobody likes the new FIBA World Cup qualifying system, which has changed to a soccer-style where the majority of games during the NBA season (the same other major world leagues such as Spain and Italy). The difference is in soccer, there are international breaks so players go to their teams for these games, while the NBA and other leagues were not adding those stoppages. The result hurt the USA — which is being represented by G-League players primarily through the process — but America has the depth to overcome that. For smaller countries with a much smaller talent pool, the blows of not having their best players are felt more sharply.

Croatia is in that mix, and on the bubble for making it to China for the 2019 World Cup right now. Croatia is 3-4 so far heading into an almost must-win game against Poland Monday. Despite all that talent, Croatia fell to Lithuania 84-83 over the weekend.

Zubac is helping averaging 14.3 points and 5.7 rebounds per game for Croatia.

I’m excited for the season. I hope we can stay as healthy as possible. And that we don’t make any dumb trades mid-season.

I’m most excited to see Brandon Ingram’s development next to Lebron.

Back