Welcome To aBlackWeb

Take the homie discount or keep it business?

Shenco

So I got this friend I asked to shoot a music video for one of my songs. Okay. Cool.

We had a creative session about what we want to do, this and that, etc. He basically tells me since I'm a friend he's gonna give me a discount on shooting the video.

So what he usually would charge someone $2500 to do, he's only charging me $750. Great right? Except the fact that most of the time the homie discount comes with a catch.

So he pretty much told me he'd be giving me a discount hopefully in exchange for being the one to shoot my videos in the future. So at first I'm like cool...but now that I'm thinking about this...Nah.

You giving me the homie discount because you have faith and believe that this song is heat and if say the video gets millions of views, you'd be attached to it.

Also it feels like it's a guilt trip for me to stay loyal if someone else wants to shoot a video for me and I like their ideas better.

Idk man, I'm about to tell him to rework this contract and charge me the full $2500 and keep it all business. Also what if I didn't like it? Imma complain about something I got at a more than 50% discount? Come on.

Any thoughts? Advice? Any story similar you'd like to share?

Oh and to add on, no we do not go way back. We met through his cousin. I've been friends with his cousin since 5th grade and that's how we were introduced to each other around like 2011 I think. His cousin does all the artwork for my music.

Alright I talked with some more people about this and they was like if that's your budget you can get a real camera and do it yourself

let's say you pay the$750 & your video blows up..... believe me he won''t be charging you $750 for the next..... truth told he won't be charging you the$2500 he usually charges...... i would look into other options.

Doing it yourself sounds like a good bet.

MVs nowadays are often DIY anyway. Ppl are OK with that aesthetic. They don't gotta be flashy asf. The big difference is in the editing anyway. You could shoot the scenes urself with a decent cam and pay for editing if ur not comfortable with that stuff.

As long as you all have an actually contract. I would say do your first video at either full price or half. If yall both like the turn out, work up another contract for future videos but dont give him exclusive rights. Give a number. Like say you will let him shoot 3 future videos and see if he will give you a discount price.

Or, pay the $750 and chuck the duece in the future. Like idk what you talking bout.

Lmaoooo at dude being on Vlad TV 10 years in the future talking bout how shenco snaked him
They have a contract so that wouldnt work. He will get sued.

So I got this friend I asked to shoot a music video for one of my songs. Okay. Cool.

We had a creative session about what we want to do, this and that, etc. He basically tells me since I'm a friend he's gonna give me a discount on shooting the video.

So what he usually would charge someone $2500 to do, he's only charging me $750. Great right? Except the fact that most of the time the homie discount comes with a catch.

So he pretty much told me he'd be giving me a discount hopefully in exchange for being the one to shoot my videos in the future. So at first I'm like cool...but now that I'm thinking about this...Nah.

You giving me the homie discount because you have faith and believe that this song is heat and if say the video gets millions of views, you'd be attached to it.

Also it feels like it's a guilt trip for me to stay loyal if someone else wants to shoot a video for me and I like their ideas better.

Idk man, I'm about to tell him to rework this contract and charge me the full $2500 and keep it all business. Also what if I didn't like it? Imma complain about something I got at a more than 50% discount? Come on.

Any thoughts? Advice? Any story similar you'd like to share?

I would pay full because I don’t want to held to working. With him in the future or feel bad about it. Because 2 to 3 videos from now it would be sane style

Back