Welcome To aBlackWeb

Supreme Courts Makes Law Aimed At People Recording Police

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Earlier this week, the Supreme Court invented a rule that will allow police officers to arrest people in retaliation for disfavored speech or actions without liability. What that means is: if you’re caught jaywalking in violation of a local ordinance while wearing a #BlackLivesMatter shirt, the police could arrest you for the shirt and use jaywalking as the actual offense. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
In Nieves v. Bartlett, a court ruled that individuals cannot sue police officers for retaliatory arrest if those officers had probable cause to arrest them for any crime, no matter how minor. And even if the real reason for the arrest was speech, the officers didn’t like or finding out they’re being recorded.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
According to Slate, Congress recognized making officers financially liable was a highly effective way to deter such misconduct. Hence the introduction of Section 1983 in the federal law, which enables lawsuits against state officers for violating constitutional rights.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Loitering is a minor infraction amongst many that are frequently violated but without incident, but could now be enforced more stringently as a pretext to arrest people engaged in speech or normal activity the officers may not like. If the change happens, Nieves v. Bartlett may have a devastating effect on demonstrators, press, and anyone who tries to exercise their free speech rights in public. That also includes the right to film the police or verbally challenge officer misconduct, as we’ve see more often throughout the last several years. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

The title is kind if misleading.

Basically it protects officers if they legally arrest you for breaking a minor law normally overlooked (like jay walking) because of something else you may have done to irritate them.

Its petty...but if you arent breaking any laws at all, it's inconsequential.

Just going to have to do things by the book people want to keep protesting/speaking on the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmao. The u.s. is wild trash. On God I'm not setting foot in that country again in life unless there's like some kind of extinction level event that forces me south.

Lmao. The u.s. is wild trash. On God I'm not setting foot in that country again in life unless there's like some kind of extinction level event that forces me south.
Thank goodness

Continue admiring us from afar b

Back