Welcome To aBlackWeb

Strictly Dancehall/Reggae News

Shenseea Link Up With French Montana, Showcases Her Vocal Depth

Shenseea was kicking it with French Montana while going viral once more for her vocals.

The Romeich Entertainment first lady put her vocals on display weeks after going viral for a fire freestyle. That’s not the only reason why she’s in the headlines this weekend. The dancehall princess also shared a video on her Instagram Story of herself and French Montana hanging out. No details were revealed, so there is no word yet if they’re working on new music together or just hanging out at a pre-Super Bowl party.

Shenseea is no doubt one of few complete entertainers to have emerged out of Jamaica in recent years. The Pretty Little Thing ambassador seems to have it all, from a beautiful face to a killer body. Let’s not forget her amazing team, which has helped her to land some pretty astounding endorsement deals over her relatively short career. Romeich Entertainment team clearly has a lot of talented entertainers under its roster, and Shenseea was one of the standouts before joining Interscope Records in 2019.

Over the past couple of weeks, the Jamaican baddie has shown that her abilities as a lyrical spitter are right up there amongst the greats. Shenseea recently took to Instagram to drop another surprise performance, this time from her bedroom. For this impromptu performance, the “Rebel” singer switches her delivery as she puts her melodic voice on full display for the world to see. The “Blessed” singer proved that she has what many would refer to as vocal depth and range while performing her rendition of Estelle’s “American Boy.” Of course, Shenyeng added her own unique sound and style.

Tarrus Riley released his Shenseea assisted track titled “Lighter” in the summer of last year. The track quickly went viral, and like all things these days, it ignited a social media challenge. Shen’s beautifully laid vocals were said to be studio generated. The singer’s answer to that rumor was an unedited video of herself belting out the opening lyrics of the track. It seems the entertainer could have a vibrant career as an R&B singer if she so desires.

Earlier this month, TSR shared two separate clips of the “Sure Sure” singer rapping over a couple of popular hip hop beats. The viral clips ensured her deejaying skills, which have been previously noticed on tracks such as “Shenyeng Anthem” and “Loodo,” were not forgotten. It’s the ease at which she is able to segue from singing to deejaying, which is being commended by fans.

Her supporters have already been hailing her as the next major cross-over from the island, which has given the world Shaggy, Sean Paul, Bob Marley. “Am I the only one that want to see her fully cross over to American music? She would eat the gworls upppp,” one fan shared.

The “Lighter” singjay has come a long since her debut in 2016 when the Vybz Kartel assisted “Loodi” was released. Today she is featured on top international blogs and has even done collaborations with high-profile acts, including Tyga and Young Thug.

Shenseea continues to drop hit tunes while keeping her growing fan base entertained via posts on Instagram, TikTok, and other social media platforms.

“Diwali” Producer Lenky Clears Air On Jimmy Kimmel’s Take On Brick & Lace Classic

Jamaican musician and producer Steven “Lenky” Marsden has sought to clarify recent statements made by popular American talk show host Jimmy Kimmel on his late-night show, Jimmy Kimmel Live.

In one of the opening skits of the show, Kimmel recounted an experience he had while trying to source information from the Covid-19 Case Info and Vaccination Assistance Line. According to Kimmel, he was placed on hold for two and a half hours and left to the mercy of the hold music. However, he was so taken by the track that was playing that he turned to virtual assistant Siri to find out the origin of the track he heard. Apple’s Virtual Assistance informed the host that the track was titled “Love is wicked” by Jamaican sisters Brick and Lace.

Marsden is hereby setting the record straight by highlighting he is the creator of the XM24 rhythm that Jimmy was listening to. He further explains to the Jamaica Observer that sections of the riddim were utilized on Brick and Lace’s dance-crazy number. He also noted that the base sound was hijacked from his very own Diwali riddim, which was originally released in 2002.

“It feels good that after all these years a little rhythm which I created in my back room at Paddington Terrace in Jamaica is still having a buzz. But what Siri told him was technically not right. Let me explain. I built Diwali, but the truth is for every artiste who is on that rhythm there is something that we did a little different for them musically. So after it blew up with songs like “Get Busy” by Sean Paul and Wayne Wonder with “No Letting Go,” I created an instrumental version for myself which I called XM24. It was years after the rhythm buss that we worked with Brick and Lace and what they used is the rhythm pattern that I added to Diwali to create XM24… so what Kimmel played was my XM24 rhythm.”

He also shared that the Diwali riddim, which got its inspiration from the Indian Feast of Lights festival, was created following the terrorist attacks in the United States on September 11, 2001.

The Diwali Riddim is as popular now as it was 20 years ago. It boasts other noteworthy tracks, including Danny English and Egg Nog’s “Meet Me at the Party,” “Assassin’s “Ruffest,” “Bounty Killer and Wayne Marshall’s “Sufferer.” American hip-hop artiste Lumidee also featured on the riddim with “Uh Oh,” which reached number two on the Billboard charts.

Vybz Kartel’s Sons Likkle Vybz, Likkle Addi To Takeover His Label Adidjahiem Records

The teenage sons of Dancehall star Vybz Kartel will take control of their father’s Portmore Empire music label, Adidjahiem Records.

During an Onstage interview over the weekend, Likkle Addi, whose real name is Akheel Raheim Palmer, told host Winfred Williams that he and his older brother Likkle Vybz (Adidja Jaheim Palmer) will take the reins of the record label when he reaches the age of 18. “It’s only a matter of time before everything falls into place,” the 16-year-old singer revealed.

Likkle Addi told Williams that he was still in school, pursuing business subjects in the fourth form. “I’m not going to JC [Jamaica College] anymore, I’m going to a different school right now,” he said.

“I’m in fourth form about to do my subjects, three subjects,” he said confirming that school was still a priority. He added that his brother Likkle Vybz was also focusing his studies on business.

But when Williams pressed on the issue of Addi becoming a father at the age of 15, the singer declined to comment.

Amid Kartel’s legal troubles in 2012, the Portmore Empire which included Popcaan, Tommy Lee Sparta, Blak Ryno, Jah Vinci, Vanessa Bling, Sheba, Shawn Storm, Lisa Hyper, and Deva Bratt was disbanded. “These artistes have been under the Adidjahiem leadership for years, where they have honed their craft and made their mark, and as such, are well on their way to becoming major forces in dancehall,” Kartel said in a statement at the time.

In disbanding the group and releasing the artists, Kartel added that “it would be unfair to them, based on the limited resources of Adidjahiem Records, and the current legal woes of the Adidjahiem CEO, and team members,” according to a report in the Jamaica STAR.

Now, Likkle Addi has disclosed that the brothers intend to recruit new artists for the label, but will leave producing to their youngest brother, World Boss Jr (Aiko Palmer).

“From a smaller age I always had a passion for music so it wasn’t a surprise that this was going to be my profession at this age,” Addi explained.

Likkle Addi and Likkle Vybz released their Skinny Jeans EP one year ago, while they both collaborated with their father on the Dancehall Royalty EP which was released last month.

They also appeared on Kartel’s 2020 albums Of Dons & Divas and To Tanesha, which were both co-produced by their mother Tanesha ‘Shorty’ Johnson via her Short Boss Muzik imprint, and Kartel’s own Vybz Kartel Muzik imprint.

Taraji P. Henson Gives Nod To Shenseea’s ‘Don’t Rush’ Freestyle

It seems Shenseea’s undisputed freestyle on the Don’t Rush riddim is still making the rounds. The freestyle clip has now apparently caught the attention of American actress Taraji P. Henson and has left a pretty good impression.

The Empire star shared the Dancehall artist’s freestyle with her almost 17 million followers on Instagram yesterday, nearly a month after it debuted on social media. Henson reposted Shenseea’s video with nothing but fire emojis in her very lit caption, which unleashed a surge of raving feedback from her fans combined with over 800k googly-eyed admirers that liked the post. Some added exposure for the Jamaican songbird no doubt.

The ShengYeng princess however was more thrilled that the movie star not only acknowledged her slick freestyle delivery but also gave her the nod of approval.

In response, the PrettyLittleThing brand ambassador wrote, “Bro she’s literally my favvv actress (cry face emoji) I love her!”

She went on to share an IG story of an earlier post she made last year in April 2020 to substantiate her undying love, which expressed that Henson was a phenomenal woman.

Taraji P. Henson is popularly known for her unforgettable roles in blockbuster hits such as Baby Boy, Hustle & Flow, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Karate Kid, Think Like a Man, and more recently in TV series like Boston Legal and Empire.

Shenseea on the other hand is gearing up to release her debut studio album next month. She recently partnered with the Ministry of Health and Wellness (MOHW) to fight against the spread of COVID-19, using a remake of her 2018 single, Trending Gyal, to encourage Jamaicans to wear their masks.

Taraji P. Henson Gives Nod To Shenseea’s ‘Don’t Rush’ Freestyle

It seems Shenseea’s undisputed freestyle on the Don’t Rush riddim is still making the rounds. The freestyle clip has now apparently caught the attention of American actress Taraji P. Henson and has left a pretty good impression.

The Empire star shared the Dancehall artist’s freestyle with her almost 17 million followers on Instagram yesterday, nearly a month after it debuted on social media. Henson reposted Shenseea’s video with nothing but fire emojis in her very lit caption, which unleashed a surge of raving feedback from her fans combined with over 800k googly-eyed admirers that liked the post. Some added exposure for the Jamaican songbird no doubt.

The ShengYeng princess however was more thrilled that the movie star not only acknowledged her slick freestyle delivery but also gave her the nod of approval.

In response, the PrettyLittleThing brand ambassador wrote, “Bro she’s literally my favvv actress (cry face emoji) I love her!”

She went on to share an IG story of an earlier post she made last year in April 2020 to substantiate her undying love, which expressed that Henson was a phenomenal woman.

Taraji P. Henson is popularly known for her unforgettable roles in blockbuster hits such as Baby Boy, Hustle & Flow, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Karate Kid, Think Like a Man, and more recently in TV series like Boston Legal and Empire.

Shenseea on the other hand is gearing up to release her debut studio album next month. She recently partnered with the Ministry of Health and Wellness (MOHW) to fight against the spread of COVID-19, using a remake of her 2018 single, Trending Gyal, to encourage Jamaicans to wear their masks.

Bring shots to you like a waiter

:clawd2:

Her and meg or maybe even card or Nikki would kill a freestyle together.

Burro Banton Son Leno Banton Looks To 90s Dancehall For Career Move

Leno Banton, a promising dancehall deejay, hopes to live up to his father Burro Banton’s reputation but intends to create his own legacy to be remembered by as well. His path to this legacy starts with his brand of music, which he described as a fusion of different sounds while being interviewed by the Jamaica Gleaner. He also shared that part of his brand of music focuses on old school dub.

He first introduced the world to his sound back in 2015 with his single “Yardie,” which featured a very 90’s beat with smooth flowing lyrics. While his music is classically dancehall, he said that he believes he could include any genre, including hip-hop, jazz, soul, R&B, Afrobeats, and even a touch of EDM. He’s ready once again to take his music to the next level and has taken a leave of absence from the University of Technology to focus on new music.

Banton revealed that through the unwavering support from his circle, including family and friends, he’s now been able to launch a self-named label called Leno Banton Music. He’s poured his time and effort into a project called Loverman. He’s had help from New Sounds Productions and Malakhii Records. They helped him to record “Street Slam,” “Pina Colada,” and “Texty,” songs of the upcoming project. He also thanked Jeff Kaale of Kenya for help with a rendition called “Brown Sugar.”

He described what can be expected from Loverman, “It’s a generational thing, not a Shabba thing. I believe everybody back then would say they are a loverman. And now, the part of me that has an old soul, really needs to emerge in now.” His motivation also came from the fact that he felt that there is not enough focus on love music in dancehall. He added that “this EP is for the women and to demonstrate the yardie vibe of youth in love.”

Of course, he’s taken counsel from his father Burro Banton, who he admitted played a huge role in his style and fashion. He even borrowed clothing from the veteran deejay for the “Brown Sugar” music video.

“That is the era of dancehall I like and the future of where it is headed once again. When it comes to fashion, we see a lot of the influences coming from generations gone. So, especially in February when we celebrate Reggae Month and Black History Month, it is important for me to show my appreciation to the legends who came before us,” he added.

Banton also hopes to be remembered for the music that he’s offering, just as some veterans he looks up to in the genre like Buju Banton, Sean Paul, and Vybz Kartel. To do this, he follows the advice of his dad, and the two have already collaborated on a couple of tracks, including “Better Days” and “Jump Man,” which hasn’t been released as yet.

Chimney Records Producer Issues “Jugglin Challenge” To Reignite Dancehall’s Riddim Culture

Esteemed Jamaican Dancehall producer Jordan McClure wants to reignite Dancehall’s riddim juggling culture. The Chimney Records musician has proposed a challenge to his fellow producers to help the cause.

In an Instagram post two days ago, McClure said “mi kinda waan get back the juggling ting pon a level so we a go do a likkle challenge. It’s not a typical challenge like a IG challenge… Mi a challenge unno fi do one, just one single juggling fi di year.”

“Mi know sometimes juggling tek long but at the end of the day a ten and a half months unno have to produce one juggling. You can produce as many as you want. Fi tell you the truth mi a plan fi produce more than one but as mi a seh just one,” he said.

McClure went on to tag a bevy of producers to get on board, adding, “I’m a big fan ah everybody work, mi tag up everybody… Is at least 20 producers mi tag inna di comment section so dat mean seh 20 juggling. We can get this back pon track so mek we dweet. Looking forward to it.”

Several Dancehall producers who were tagged commented on their intention to participate. “Jus one?” asked Sean Paul. “Jah jah know. Bout 4 meed wah go. Lol.”

“Me have bout 3 line up,” said DJ Frass.

“In it to win it,” said ZJ Chrome, while Slyda Di Wizard added, “I’m in bro.”

Other producers and production labels that were tagged included Romeich Entertainment, Anju Blaxx, David Daseca, Stephen ‘Di Genius’ McGregor, Dane Ray, Hemton Music, NotNice, Frankie Music, Kurt Riley, ZJ Liquid, Shab Don Records, Lee Miller Productions, Good Good Productions, Gutty Bling and DJ Cashflow Neil.

Dancehall’s riddim juggling culture was formed from the origin of the genre in the sound system space, where artists toasted live on the B-side of records for sound systems. Its much-discussed death has popularised in recent years because of a production shift to singles, the proliferation of the Trap Dancehall era, and some producers being exclusively associated with some artists.

Producer Dwayne ‘Damage‘ Parkinson pointed to the latter in his comment on McClure’s post.

“Yes bro good move,” he said. “I hope artist put them ego aside and work with the producers them to stop the side thing, music no live a nobody yard.”

Dancehall artists also chimed in on the challenge.

“Yes now! And we the young artist that have no links and suh get the chance to voice and show up our talents… Can that add too? Cause most times we don’t get noooo riddim and especially the ones that make sense…I’m manifesting this in the comment section,” said Dovey Magnum.

Kabaka Pyramid added, “February 26th, my first juggling. Hopefully I’ll earn a producer mention/tag by di end of the year lol.”

Chimney Records, which is also helmed by David ‘Hizzle’ Hayle, recently dropped the Style A Style riddim project which has been buzzing in the Dancehall space with records like Aidonia‘s Dat Easy, Moyann‘s Backseat, Ding Dong‘s Watch A Style Yah, Tarrus Riley‘s EZ Nuh, and Shenseea‘s Upset.

The record label has built its name with a slew of hit juggling productions including Star Bwoy (2010), Island Vibes (2011), Tropical Escape (2013), Happy Hour (2014), After Party (2015), and Aircraft (2019).

The last ‘juggling’ to successfully feature a varied list of Jamaican stars was producer Zum’s Liquid Sunshine riddim, released in September last year. The Good Good Production project included 19 tracks from established artists including Vybz Kartel and his long time rival Mavado. Dexta Daps, Elephant Man , Konshens, Shenseea, TeeJay, Jahmiel, Ding Dong, I-Octane, Sikka Rymes, and Kemar Highcon, Shaneil Muir, and Denyque also appeared.

Konshens Scores Platinum Plaque For Nipsey Hussle Collab ‘Succa Proof

Dancehall artist Konshens celebrated a major milestone this weekend after being awarded a platinum plaque for his Nipsey Hussle collaboration, Succa Proof.

The song is featured on Hussle’s 2018 Grammy-award-winning studio album Victory Lap, linking the Dancehall star with the likes of P. Diddy and Kendrick Lamar who are also featured on the project.

Konshens, who’s working on new music in Florida, paid tribute to the late rapper on Instagram, pouring up a tequila shot with his new plaque on display.

“RIP great ute!! #themarathoncontinues #ripnipseyhussle #konshens #dancehall”, he captioned the video post. The plaque bears the cover art of the 16 track suite and reads, “Presented To Garfield “Konshens” Spence To Commemorate RIAA Platinum Certification Of The All Money In/Atlantic Records Album “Victory Lap”.
Succa Proof was produced by DJ Khalil, Mike & Keys, and Rance, and sees the Represent deejay strapped and ready with some slick badman bars.

Nipsey Hussle was gunned down on March 31, 2019 in an incident that sent shockwaves not only through hip hop but the entire music fraternity. Konshens, Chronixx and I-Octane, and Skatta Burrell were among the artists who paid their respects at the time.

Konshens left a heartfelt note on his social media pages saying, “Conspiracy or just jealousy or some other reason none of us know about. The fact that someone could come right up to him and shoot him 6 times in front of his business place in a community he fought for and dedicated so much of his life to says a whole lot about this thing called life.#ripnipseyhussle”.

Nipsey is survived by his longtime girlfriend, actress Lauren London, and his two children, Emani Dior and Kross. He’s received several posthumous accolades and most recently appears on the new Judas and the Black Messiah soundtrack with a Jay Z collab titled What It Feels Like.

Koffee’s New Album To Have An ‘Interesting Twist’

Known for her contemporary genre-bending sounds, Jamaican artist Koffee says she has something new and unexpected in store for those familiar with her music.

The Spanish Town native was the first woman and youngest artist to win the Best Reggae Album Grammy award for her 2019 EP, Rapture. For her debut album, she wants to tweak her history-making formula to focus on the idea of unity and positivity with ‘a very interesting twist’.

“I want to speak of a solution and of a way that we can come together and get along, even when things are going wrong,” Koffee told Rolling Stone Magazine in a new interview today when asked about her upcoming full-length album.

“Positivity is definitely a theme. It will be a very interesting twist for people who knew my music before, and also for people who will discover me. I think it will be really awesome,” the 21-year-old singer added.

The W singer has so far been tight-lipped about the upcoming LP. In July last year, she told the Jamaica Star that her main focus then was the album.

“I am doing a little camp right now, that’s just me and some musicians and producers and a few artistes. We just a build a vibes, seeing where that vibe takes us, and hopefully we create magic. The biggest thing for me right now is this album. Of course, I’ll be releasing singles in-between to kinda keep the pace a little, but the album is really where my focus is right now.”

The ‘camp’ she later explained to Vibe Magazine, centered around Popcaan’s music studio, where she met Unruly producer Dane Ray. Their meeting resulted in the summer hit Lockdown.

Pressure followed and it was later remixed and given a visual treatment with Dancehall legend Buju Banton. Koffee also dropped in on Protoje‘s In Search Of Lost Time single, Switch It Up.

There is speculation that her new album could feature Nigerian singer Burna Boy. The pair were spotted in a studio in February last year.

While the sensational singer is sitting out this year’s Grammy Awards, she did pick up two nominations for Outstanding International Song at the NAACP Image Awards.

Ce’cile Introduces Her First Published Children’s Book: “My Hair Story”

Dancehall Bad Gyal Ce’cile has penned another children’s book, and her first work as a published author, titled My Hair Story.

In an Instagram video yesterday, the Jamaican artist introduced the book to her fans, saying that it was inspired by her daughter, Christiyana, affectionately called “Nana”, who “had many questions about her hair (The length, the texture etc)”.

Ce’cile added that the 8-year-old, “had started TO QUESTION me about my weaves and wanted to know why I wore them and was comparing herself to others.”

Nana’s father is Dancehall artist Christopher Martin.

While holding a physical copy of the book, Ce’cile said she wanted mothers like herself “to have to something for their daughters to encourage them to love the skin that they’re in, to love their hair, to work with it and to understand that we’re all different”.

“While we were having our discussions I thought writing her a poem would be more relatable. This idea turned into this project. This also inspired ME to start embracing my own hair SO SHE COULD SEE THAT…,” she explained.

“While the concept is not new, this is MY PART to TO PLAY regarding this sensitive but important issue of SELF LOVE, ACCEPTANCE OF SELF AND OTHERS and being TOLERANT of others who may NOT LOOK LIKE US. We MUST teach our girls this concept early.”

My Hair Story will be available on March 12 and can be pre-ordered on Amazon.

Limited physical copies are available at the Kingston Bookshop in Jamaica.

Ce’cile’s first children’s book titled, Oceana Adventures of a Jamaican Mermaid, was released in limited copies in 2018. That book was realized after a friend expressed concern that there was poor representation of black children in storybooks and cartoons in Jamaica.

Shenseea And H.E.R. Tease Possible Collab After Their ‘Blasiana x2’ Link Up

Dancehall artist Shenseea and American R&B songbird H.E.R. might be making new music together — or at least that’s what their fans are hoping for after the two superstars shared their recent encounter on Instagram.

The two singers were seen linking up in what appears to be the music studio yesterday and they looked pretty pleased about what is to come.

H.E.R. shared one photo of herself with the Blessed singer and wrote in the caption, “Shenseeeeaaa Blasiana x2.” ‘Blasiana’ is a word often used by the 23-year-old to describe her mixed African and Filipino ancestry, a similarity she shares with Shenseea who is of mixed African and Korean parentage.

Shenseea, 24, commented on H.E.R.’s IG post, “We’ll soon let them know what it’s gon’ be! In the mean time, we doing our thing,” suggesting that a collab of some sort is underway.

Their overjoyed fans were all in for this potential teaming.

“I already know this is gonna be a banger,” said one excited fan. Another added, “Baby if a song is coming from this I’m gone cry.”

Last September, during a visit to the island, H.E.R. met up with Jamaican starlet Lila Iké for what also looked like a collaboration in the works.

We’ve already heard H.E.R.’s sultry vocals with Jamaica’s very own Skip Marley, the soulful grandson of Bob Marley, on the hit record Slow Down, which was released just a year ago and went on take the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Adult R&B Chart.

The track has since been nominated for Best R&B Song at the 2021 Grammy Awards, and it appears on Marley’s Higher Place EP, which was also nominated this year for Best Reggae Album. H.E.R. already has two Grammy Awards under her belt for Best R&B Performance and Best R&B Album in 2018 for a self-titled album.

She released a solo reggae offering, Do To Me, last July which sampled the iconic Dancehall and Reggae songs Murder She Wrote by Chaka Demus & Pliers’ and Sister Nancy’s Bam Bam.

H.E.R., whose real name is Gabriella Sarmiento Wilson, has an appearance in an upcoming Netflix original movie, Yes Day, which airs on March 12. Her single Flight For You from the original motion picture Judas and Black Messiah landed this month. Also, the official audio of the remix for her single Damage dropped today to feature British mix master, Joel Corry.

Meanwhile, Shenseea has been performing in the US while working on her debut album, which is expected to be released sometime this spring. She told Hot 97’s Ebro In The Morning last November that “we’re hoping for March, I’m hoping for February because I just really wanna release this.”

“I’ve never released an album before, I wanna see how well it’s gonna do. I wanna see how people gravitate to the different kinds of music I’m putting on there. Hopefully, we’re really aiming for March they say,” she said.

Rvssian Giving Thanks After Surviving 5 Vehicle Wreck In His Lamborghini

Dancehall, rap, and reggaeton producer Tarik ‘Rvssian’ Johnston is counting his blessings after escaping a 5 vehicle collision unhurt.

The Jamaican hitmaker was travelling with his daughter at the time of the incident, and he confirmed on his Instagram Stories earlier this week that neither of them sustained any injuries. “God is great, 5 cars wrecked, no one else was injured”, he shared with his 1M followers.

No further details were given on what led to the crash, but Rvssian added in one of the videos that “a car spun”.

Another of the IG clips shows Rvssian’s red Lamborghini Urus over on the soft shoulder, as well as a snippet of the damage to its fender.

The luxury truck, dubbed ‘the world’s first super sport utility vehicle’ by its Italian manufacturer was Rvssian’s 2018 purchase in celebration of a wildly successful year.

Besides the release of chart-toppers Hard Drive by Shenseea and Konshens, and Pablo (Remix) featuring Sfera Ebbasta, Rich the Kid, Moneybagg Yo & Lil Baby, Rvssian’s Head Concussion Record label signed a partnership deal with heavyweights Interscope Geffen A&M Records that same year.

In an Instagram upload following news of the accident, Rvssian shared a photo of himself and Konshens alongside the Life Sweet producer’s Rolls Royce Wraith, another splurge from previous years.

“God is Great” he captioned the post, to which Konshens responded, “Greatest bro. U have too much greatness to do here an God know that glad u safe.”

Dancehall Queen Spice Reveals Name Of Her Debut Album: “TEN”

Queen of Dancehall and Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta star Spice has revealed that her debut album will be titled TEN. The album is expected to be released in March.

During an interview with UK-based RobboRanx Radio today, Spice said “I’ve been signed to a label for ten years and now I’m finally dropping my 1st album…. it’s gonna be called TEN!..”

Then in a jab to her former friend and spiritual advisor RT Boss, she wrote in an Instagram post this afternoon, “The gate pull After ten years my Album is finally ‘COMING SOON'”. In December, RT had claimed that he used his so-called abilities to open doors for Spice.

“All we need is a good release date from you below @robboranxradio @vprecords ready ?” Spice added.

The So Mi Like It singer had signed on with VP Records in 2009, but the arrangement was not without complications and public disputes. In mid-2018, she told fans that she had no control over her debut album’s release date, adding that “nasty, dirty, stinking VP” had been giving her the runaround. VP responded, saying, that Spice had not delivered enough tracks to complete the album and that they were hard at work to finalize the project while securing the necessary clearances.

Later that year, Spice released her Captured mixtape which was recorded, produced, and distributed independently, and she told the STAR magazine that attempts would be made to get herself out of the VP contract.

Now, it appears that the team is back on track.

Not much else is known about Spice’s new album, besides the fact that it is being executive-produced by international superstar Shaggy. He told TheMusic.com.au in 2019 that “I’m doing her new album. I’m writing and producing for that – and I’m excited about that.” In December 2020, the Angel hitmaker told ReggaeVille that “I’m looking to see when it comes out, probably in March”.

They were spotted together in a photo with her A&R Neil Edwards and the CEO of VP, Chris Chin, where a meeting about the album apparently took place.

Instagram posts over the last two years also revealed that Grammy award-winning producers iLL Wayno and Shane Hoosong, Grammy-nominated producer Costi, Olaf Blackwood, and Tessellated may be contributing to the project.

Meanwhile, based on recent statements by her colleague Sean Paul, it is also likely that the Temperature singer will be featured on this album. Paul had revealed a few weeks ago that he had “a song on a different project with Spice”, in addition to his two upcoming albums.

The LHHATL star has also been teasing the release of a single and video with Dancehall artist Konshens.

Popular Selector, Businessman ‘Slaughtatone’ Killed

The police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the murder of a man known as ‘Slaughtatone’, who was killed by persons unknown in a driveby shooting off Molynes Road on Saturday at about 3 p.m.

The Jamaica Constabulary Force’s communication arm, the Constabulary Communication Unit, confirmed that a disc jockey/selector Cleon Jones was killed on Burley Road off Molynes Road in St. Andrew on Saturday afternoon. The CCU didn’t have anymore details at the time this story was published.

Jones reportedly ‘freelanced’ with a number of sound systems before migrating to live in the USA.

The man, who had resided in Atlanta, Georgia for several years, is reportedly the owner of several buses and taxes in the Spanish Town area. He had reportedly been on the island for a couple of months, and was set to return to the USA before he was murdered. The man was reportedly at a bus garage on Sundown Crescent and drove his white drop-top BMW to meet a female when he was attacked.

Popular selector Billy Slaughter went on Instagram to dispel rumors that he was the one who had been shot as word spread of the murder.

Selector Tony Matterhorn also posted a video with his friend cracking jokes and playing a song at an event, and generating a big forward. Matterhorn captioned the video: “This is how I remember my friend #slaughtertone…fun and laughter always”.

‘Temperature’ At 15: Sean Paul Recalls The Whirlwind That Came With The Hit Song

Many iconic Dancehall anthems are celebrating their 15-year milestones in 2021: from Bounty Killer’s lethal bars on Bullet Proof Skin, to Vybz Kartel’s list of don’ts on I Neva, Mavado’s odd but still perfect pacing on Weh Dem A Do and Tony Matterhorn and Ding Dong’s muscle trauma-inducing cuts Dutty Wine and Badman Forward, Badman Pull Up.

The biggest of all was Sean Paul’s mega-hit Temperature, which became the No. 1 song on the US Billboard Hot 100 in April 2006. The deejay had already tasted Billboard chart-topping success with Get Busy and Baby Boy featuring Beyonce in 2003, but said Temperature took it to another level.

During a sit down with Claudia Jordon’s Out Loud on FOX Soul yesterday, Sean Paul said “it was a whirlwind and to look back at it now and say, ‘Wow, 2006 Temperature was the biggest song on the Billboard charts’, that’s amazing”.

“I’ve always strived to having songs back there and I’ve done pretty much a couple times and it’s just amazing. Sometimes I feel like it’s a dream so thank you to the fans and people who appreciate the music and been there from day one.”

Temperature, which was produced by Rohan ‘Snowcone’ Fuller, enjoyed extremely long staying power on the Hot 100. The multi-platinum song had one of the longest runs on the chart that year, spending 17 weeks in the Top 10 and it became Paul’s first song to sell more than one million digital downloads.

Sean Paul, who celebrated his 48th birthday in January, reflected on this ultra-successful period of his life, which he realized had placed him in a bubble from friends and family.

“I’m always doing the same things; I’m in the studio coming up with fresh ideas, I’m flying to shows entertaining people…so naturally I started to be in a kind of bubble and I would come home and see my friends’ kids growing up and I started going, ‘Wow, time is passing and I’m just not noticing it’. And then it happened to me; I had my own kids and I’m seeing within four years he’s telling me all kind of big words and stuff like that.”

Speaking on his upcoming album Live N Livin, Paul said he aims to challenge claims that the genre was dead by showing that Jamaican Dancehall can still do numbers. The LP features 21 Dancehall and Reggae artists including Buju Banton, Damian Marley, Govana, Intence, Mavado, Masicka, and Skillibeng.

“It’s kind of my statement to people who say that dancehall as a genre – because of the low numbers right now – is dead, but I kinda want people to check the pulse… This is the first time in a longtime I’ve been able to sit at home and cultivate a great album, so more hardcore dancehall. It’s what people know me for.”

The album will be released on March 12, under the auspices of Paul’s Dutty Rock Productions.

A second album, Scorcher will be released later this year under Island Records. The lead-out single, produced by Chimney Records, is also titled Scorcher.

Scorcher‘s list of collabs are lighter, with American singer Gwen Stefani, Dancehall songstresses Shenseea and Jada Kingdom, and UK-based Dancehall deejay Stylo G set to be featured.

Australian singer-songwriter Sia is also expected to appear on Scorcher. The two previously teamed up in 2016 for Cheap Thrills, which earned Paul his fourth No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Watch the full interview below.

not dancehall news but i wanted to share this .
Over 200 murders in 52 days

Over 200 murders have been committed in Jamaica, with just 52 days gone in the year.

According to the latest statistics compiled by the police, a total of 212 killing were recorded islandwide between January 1 and today.

This represents a six per cent increase over the comparative period last year.

Jamaica recorded just over 1,300 murders last year.

The figures reveal, too, that shootings are up nine per cent this year.

According to the figures, a total of 189 shootings were recorded up to Monday, an increase of 15 when compared with the corresponding period last year.

The increased killings and shootings come amid the nightly curfews and other COVID-19 containment measures imposed by the government, which have largely restricted the movement of citizens.

The latest crime figures show, however, a 46 per cent drop in reported rapes; an eight per cent decrease in reported robberies; and a 28 per cent decline in reported break-ins.

Not Just Bounty Killer, Popcaan Also Bury Mavado Beef Amid His Mother’s Death

IMG_6713.jpg

Popcaan follows Bounty Killer and also end his beef with Mavado following the Gullyside singjay mother’s passing.

Dancehall artiste Mavado is currently mourning the death of his mother, Elizabeth “Ms. Pinny” Gordon, who passed away suddenly last week. The entire entertainment fraternity has rallied behind the “Gully Side” artiste as he goes through this time of bereavement. He has gotten numerous sympathetic messages and words of encouragement even from persons once considered rivals. One artist who has reached out is Popcaan, with whom he had a long-standing beef.

n a heartfelt Instagram Story upload directed to Mavado, Popcaan wrote, “Keep yo meds firm up same way singer, keep fighting the fight, condolences to you and your family, tough times for everybody, stay up!” he also added, “Unruly wish bad on no one.” It is good to see that despite whatever past differences they may have had, this may just be the first stepping stone to mend those broken fences. Another artist that has not been a big fan of Mavado, Bounty Killer, also expressed condolences and seemingly bury their old feud.

Popcaan and Mavado have been beefing since the Unruly Boss’s days under the tutelage of Vybz Kartel, his arch-nemesis. Things appeared to have cooled down at one point, and as they appeared, Snoop Dogg’s “Lighters Up” in 2013.

That truce did not last long, and they both started doing diss tracks aimed at each other. Late last year, their long-standing rivalry seems to be very much alive, with Popcaan referring to Mavado as “irrelevant” during an interview. Drake got in on the action at one point as he took aim at Mavado. The Gullyside leader who now resides in Florida released “Enemy Line” to clapback at both Popcaan and Drake.

Mavado has quite a full plate at this point. Apparently, the day his mother died was also the day scheduled for his son was sentencing after being convicted of murder earlier this year. It was, however, later postponed to March 19. The culture of dancehall is once again shifting towards a greater sense of unity as more past rivals try to bury the hatchet.

Popcaan recently appeared on collaboration for Beenie Man’s new album, another artiste he had issues with. The Unruly Boss has also mended past wounds with Bounty Killer.

One artist who has also been very vocal on unity in the dancehall area is Sean Paul, who is currently preaching a message of “collaboration over confrontation.” The most decorated Jamaican entertainer of the modern era recently dropped his Live N Livin album, which is compromised of a handful of collaborations with other artists spanning different genres. We can only hope this trend is one that continues.

Back