Welcome To aBlackWeb

Strictly Dancehall/Reggae News

Marion Hall aka Lady Saw Responds To Spice “Obeah” Drama & Why She Left Dancehall

Marion Hall, formerly Lady Saw, is speaking out about new allegations regarding Spice involved in “Obeah.”

The teachings found in the good book have been guiding persons associated with the Christian religion for many centuries. Within its many scriptures are tales that focus on good or evil. Within the last couple of days, dancehall fans have seemingly been exposed to both. Nardo “RT Boss” Smith classifies himself as a self-proclaimed Reader Man/Spiritual advisor for Spice.

Throughout the numerous voice notes and videos which have been released between himself and his advisee Spice, it could be concluded that Jamaicans have a deep fear of obeah. The spiritual practice was developed in West African and brought to the Caribbean by slaves. The verdict on the evil nature of the practice is still being discussed, but it seems the general consensus in the Caribbean is that the practice is dark and should not be interfered with.

No wonder Minister Marion Hall, formerly Lady Saw, had a few choice scriptures, specifically Psalm 35, which she used to hit out against RT Boss and Spice. This came after her name was mentioned by Smith in relation to his hand in Spice becoming the reigning Queen of Dancehall. It should be mentioned that Spice and Lady Saw have a prior history.

Some years ago, Lady Saw ended her longtime relationship after multiple infidelity cases on the part of her spouse. There was a lot of chatter in and around the industry that the then reigning Queen of Dancehall was barren, which is why her spouse stepped out. Spice was supposedly one influencer behind the drama that unfolded.
According to RT Boss, he supposedly also had a hand in the matter, while hinting that Hall was also caught up in dark magic. While conducting one of his Instagram LIVE sessions, he said, “Member Lady Saw, me put on heat pon Lady Saw cause a Lady Saw fuss start do obeah so me did affi put on heat pon Lady Saw make she run,” he said.
This year marks five years since Lady Saw has turned her life around and taken on a more Christian way of life. That didn’t stop her from addressing the accusations made by the self-proclaimed spiritual reader man.
“Nobody couldn’t run me out a dancehall, cause you know nobody never bad like me right,” boasted Hall. She concluded that it was simply her time to leave the secular and demonic world. The now ordained minister mentioned that she previously offered aid to Spice and even had dresses sold in her store. She also specified that Spice and her associate were unable to get any piece of clothing[Sackcloth] from her in order to cast a spell.
“I behaved as though she was my brother, I behaved as though she was my friend,” she shared as she read from her bible. “The objects gathered themselves to gather against me… With hypocritical matters, they gnash at me with their teeth… rescue my soul from their destruction.”
Marion Hall expressed that she is firmly rooted and devoted to her faith and has no concerns for “Obeah Man.”

Squash 6ixx Boss Associate DJ National Dead From Car Crash

rominent associate of the 6ixx camp, DJ National, has died from a car crash.

It’s a sad day for the Squash-led 6ixx team as the CEO of Game changer records, producer and Soundman for Squash, DJ National has died. Sources told Urban Islandz that the prominent disc jockey was involved in a car crash and was seriously injured. We’re told that he spent some time in the hospital undergoing treatment but succumb to his injuries over the weekend. No further details were provided regarding the incident, but members of the 6ixx camp and other Montego Bay-based dancehall associates have been reacting to his death.

Renowned music producer, Shabdon shared the news on his Instagram page. He said, “ca Believe u gone left we fam God know star DJ National far we cum from real youth.”

The producer was well known in the dancehall world and has helped produce records for several artists including the 6ixx crew Daddy1 and Big Voice. Squash has since posted twice on Instagram with recent pictures and footage of Dj National. They were accompanied by the broken heart emoji.

Many others in the dancehall fraternity have also expressed their condolences including Teejay, Desha Ravers and Jafrass Music. Several fans took to DJ National’s page to share their shock. “Can’t believe you gone g, rip to a real one.” Many others on his page said they were praying for him following a terrible car accident that happened last week. It will be a big blow for the crew as they were all very close.

Dancehall Artiste Skillibeng Signs To Sony/ATV Music Publishing UK
https://www.dancehallmag.com/author/claudia-gardner

Dancehall artiste Skillibeng has made a mammoth ‘upmove’ after becoming the latest Jamaican artiste to be signed to a worldwide publishing agreement with Sony/ATV Music Publishing UK.

He joins recording artiste and producer Tessellated, who signed a similar deal in January this year.

In a press release issued on December 10, Sony/ATV UK noted that the Brik pon Brik artiste “has established himself as one of Jamaica’s fastest rising stars.

Sony also described the 23-year-old St. Thomas native as having “quickly become one of the hottest dancehall acts to emerge from Jamaica in recent years”.

“He is an incredible artist whose unique flows, delivery and wordplay have enabled him to become the leader of the next generation of dancehall. We are delighted to welcome him to Sony/ATV, and we look forward to elevating his career on a global scale,” the release said.

On its Instagram page yesterday, Sony also posted a welcome message to the Eastsyde artiste.

“NEW SIGNING ALERT. We are so excited to welcome the incredible Skillibeng to the Sony ATV family! Can’t wait to see what’s next and start working with you!” the company noted.

Regarded as the world’s leading global music publisher, Sony/ATV has a diverse catalogue of classic songs written by the likes of icons such as The Beatles, Michael Jackson and The Rolling Stones, as well as contemporary stars such as Beyoncé, Pharrell Williams, Drake, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, P!nk, and Ed Sheeran.

Sony/ATV Music was formed in 1995 following the merging of Sony Music Publishing and ATV Music, which was owned by late pop icon, Michael Jackson. The megastar had purchased ATV Music, which included the Lennon-McCartney song catalogue, in 1985.

Skillibeng, whose real name is Emwah Warmington, said he was extremely elated about the new partnership with Sony/ATV Music Publishing.

“It’s a great feeling to know I’m signed by one of the biggest names in the publishing industry – I appreciate being a part of the team and I’m excited to be working with them,” he said.

The artiste, who emerged in 2019 with the hit song Brik Pan Brik, has continued his musical prowess since then with popular songs such as Crocodile Teeth, 50 Bag, and Mr. Universe which was also interpolated into a dub-plate for Prime Minister Andrew Holness, during the recent Jamaican general election campaign.

He has been working on several new projects including a collaboration with Popcaan for his latest release on Drake’s OVO label, and is also set to release his next mixtape dubbed Prodigy 2 on December 23.

The artiste, who is a Morant Bay high school old boy, grew up in the community of Lyssons in Retreat, St Thomas, and was part of a dance group at his school, where he also got the nickname Skillibeng.

He sat CSEC exams in 2014 at the school where he passed a total of nine subjects including core subjects Mathematics and English and others spanning the arts, science and business, namely English Literature, Office Administration, Principles of Accounts, Principles of Business, Information Technology, Human and Social Biology and Agricultural Science.

In September he told The Star tabloid that, even though his academic accomplishments, made him able to choose to enter any career field, he was naturally drawn to entertainment.

“Everyone can create a song, a style, a certain flow and pattern. But at the end of the day, a di man who do all a dat the best a go stand out. Music is an art form,” Skilli had explained.

“It’s more than just flowing on a beat, it’s about putting your words together, crafting them in a unique way weh a go make people medz things different. And only education can gi yuh da edge deh innu,” he had added.

Ishawna Fired Back at Lisa Hyper Following Call for Peace

Ishawna appears to take a dig at Lisa Hyper following her recent call for peace.

Rivalry has long been at the heart of dancehall culture. The men of the genre have shown this side for many years. Meanwhile, the females were seen as the keepers of peace. That has changed over the last couple of decades with some pretty nasty face-offs among the ladies. There was once bitter rivalry between Lisa Hyper and a handful of females in the genre. It all followed on the heels of a leaked photo of Hyper performing oral sex, which took place over a decade ago. Hyper crafted a vicious diss track aimed at the likes of Tifa, Pamputae, Spice, Ishawna, and other prominent females in the business at the time.

Lisa Hyper recently apologized to Spice and buried the hatchet with the Queen of Dancehall, an act which inspired last week’s episode of Spice It Up titled “Mending Fences.” Spice invited Lisa Hyper, Pamputae, and Tifa via Zoom to settle their differences.

According to Lisa Hyper, her decision to take shots at her female counterparts some years ago was all due to her perception that they were speaking negatively of her behind her back following the leaked image. She made mention that her decision was not wise and ultimately apologized to everyone she had wronged. The apology was accepted by Tifa and Spice, but Pamutae felt the move was not genuine and was not enough to mend fences.

By the looks of it, Pam is not the only one not ready to bury the hatchet and start a friendship. A few days following the airing of the Spice It Up, Ms. Legendary dropped a couple of words that may or may not be aimed at Lisa Hyper.

“A b**ch can never “thought” I said something cause when I say something I say it loud and clear!” She wrote below an image of herself.

Not everyone is here for the bitter rivalries thought, and one fan decided to address Ishawna in the comment section below her post. “If woman uno love too much war as u watch spice it up u gone dash stone peace,” came the comment.

Lisa Hyper told Spice that she would not be taking part in any other beefs for now. Therefore, we are doubtful that Ishawna will see a response from the Gaza First Lady.

Vybz Kartel Prison Block On Hunger Strike Over Excessive Search, Harassments

A human rights group, Stand Up for Jamaica (SUFJ) has called for the immediate investigation of inmate abuse during the search. The executive director for SUFJ, Carla Gullotta, revealed through a statement that an attorney visited the maximum-security prison on Monday, December 28 and received many reports about the alleged abuse.

Many of the prisoners have claimed that they were severely beaten with batons and that their personal belongings, which may have included televisions and radios, were destroyed. In response, the prisoners have gone on a hunger strike, she revealed. “Some blocks are on hunger strike, and inmates do not come out from their cells,” Gullotta said through the statement.

The claims have since been denied by Matthew Samuda, minister without portfolio in the Ministry of National Security. He said that the accusations were “rumours and unfortunate mischief-making.”

He added, “I have instructed Deputy Commissioner of the Department of Correctional Services, Dr Marc Thomas, to invite representatives of INDECOM and the Office of the Public Defender to visit the institution, undertake independent investigations, and inform the public of their findings urgently.”

According to information that THE STAR said they received, on Christmas Day, a correctional officer pulled a firearm on an inmate after he refused to step out of his cell for a search. They also stated it has been alleged that on December 26, correctional officers used sticks to poke inmates while they were asleep. The timing may all be a coincidence, but within recent times Vybz Kartel’s Privy Council lawyer, Isat Buchanan, tagged the dancehall star in an Instagram post with an old clip of Tupac saying “trust nobody.” Buchanan added the caption, “Me talking to 2021 after experiencing 2020.”

Shawn Storm is serving life imprisonment at the aforementioned facility along with his mentor Vybz Kartel for the 2011 murder of Clive ‘Lizard’ Williams. While Kartel will have to serve 32 and a half years before he is eligible for parole, Shawn Storm will become eligible after 22 and a half years. Both men are hoping for a better outcome on their sentences when they appeal to the Privy Council next year.

Cops Issued Summons For Beenie Man For Breaching DRMA With Illegal Party

Beenie Man is reportedly wanted by the police for breaching the Disaster Risk Management Act (DRMA)- the law that has allowed the government to institute measures to stop social congregating, parties, and large gatherings due to the coronavirus pandemic spreading.

According to reports, the police have sent warnings to party promoters about promoting illegal entertainment events that breached the DRM Act. Police have singled out Beenie Man as one of the artistes for who a summons has been issued for.

“There is a summons in the possession of the police for Moses Davis o/c Beenie Man for a party held on the 29th of November,” Head of St. Elizabeth police Deputy Superintendent Narda Simms told Jamaican journalists on Thursday.

Parties and events with large gatherings are banned by the government, which has further tightened other measures for the holidays. According to the police- Beenie Man was seen in a 25 seconds video on social media promoting a New Year’s Eve party. Beenie says in the video, “St. Elizabeth if uno know weh the party deh reach, so you know say a New Year’s Eve and we haffi ring in the New Year nuh care weh who wan say……the party name 12-7,” he said.

This isn’t the first incident involving Beenie Man breaching protocols. The artiste had a birthday party earlier in the year in spite of parties being banned. Many of the people at his party were seen mingling without masks or social distancing. Additionally, the party numbers were above the 15 per gathering that the law allowed.

Many from the party – including some of Dancehall’s finest went into self-isolation following reports that some persons at the party later became sick with Covid-19.

Demarco Says His Dancehall Classic “I Love My Life” Is Breakup Anthem About Ex-Wife

Demarco revealed the back story behind his classic dancehall hit, “I Love My Life.”

Dancehall has had few songs with longstanding motivational value like Demarco’s ‘I love my Life’. Every dancehall party will have the feel-good song playing but what is an inspirational anthem is actually a diss track Demarco wrote for his ex-wife and his mother-in-law in what was a stressful period in his life. While speaking on the Wizology Show live on Instagram on Tuesday night, he said the song was a defiant reaction to the stress he faced with his relationship.

“A trace mi did a trace. My ex-wife supposed to have baby pon my birthday, mi son weh name River, dem time deh mi live inna Atlanta, 2010. The day before my birthday mi and har kick off, she gone a har mada…Mi gone a har mada house she seh she don’t know where she is… mi stress out, mi cya find har, mi drive up and down everywhere, rain a fall, bag a tings.”

The Deejay said he was so stressed out by the situation that he decided to return to Jamaica for his birthday. The lyrics to the song came to be while he was celebrating his birthday. “If you listen to the verse, ‘make a change, don’t make nobody stress you, don’t mek no blood pressure mek your life lef you. Never you hurt a soul unless yuh haffi defen’ yourself if dem try test you. Thank God fi mi life, yes. Me wake up this morning and alive, yes. Mek dem gwaan judge, nobody nuh perfect, and Father God alone bring brightness. If yuh nuh like wha mi say, go find the lord. Mi nuh have time fi the war, cause times so hard…Dem nah mad me, me nah go no psych wad, or go join the morg

Demarco said, “mi siddung and create the rhythm pon mi birthday and mi a she ‘you know wah, mi stress out but a mi birthday, mi love my life’… and mi sing out mi stress,” he said.

The Deejay joked that people enjoy the song with their own individual interpretation, “cuss me a cus out people.” The song has been widely successful, receiving more than seven (7) million streams on Spotify and around 10 million views on YouTube.

Demarco Opens Up About Breakout Hit “Fallen Soldiers”
Meanwhile, the artiste spoke about the success he received from his breakout hit Fallen Soldiers which he wanted to do with Elephant Man but the producer disapproved. “mi nah tell nuh lie, Elephant Man a mi G but maybe if Elephant did deh pon the song it wouldn’t buss.”

He added that the song became so popular, he was surprised at the amount of money that was coming in from dubs alone! “Di man dem start tek up the song and play it at every nine night till it start play inna di church, it start lay inna di hearse dem. Mi never know she mi coulda see so much money. When mi buss mi a see a JMD $1 million everyday offa dub enuh.” He added that the reason he was able to make so much money is also because he was recording himself.

Demarco now resides in Atlanta and is signed to Akon’s label – EnTREEGRECORDS/KONLIVE Record label.

Popcaan and Fully Bad Beefing On IG Spawning Diss Track

Popcaan and Fully Bad beefing on social media.

If you thought that the shenanigans we witnessed within the entertainment sector in 2020 would not carry over to 2021, you are definitely dead wrong. With just 4 days into the new year, there is already trouble brewing between The Unruly Camp and that of Fullybad, who heads the BadGang outfit.

Based on the recent posts shared on Fullybad’s Instagram account, there has been a disagreement between himself and producer Petro Unruly. The “Born Fi Dweet” deejay shared a screenshot of a comment made by Petro while on fellow Unruly member Quada’s IG LIVE session. According to Petro, “Fullybad a b**tyman from up suh.”

Fullybad shared the screenshot with a caption that also dragged the Unruly Boss, Popcaan into the mix. “A yuh boss a fish @petro_unruly none a Unu nuh Unruly,” he commented followed by an emoji that represented his peaked level of anger.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-07-at-4.30.01-PM.jpg

Popcaan decided to address the public name-calling in a private manner when he sent the up and coming artiste a direct message on Instagram. According to Popcaan, he was one of the persons who helped to further Fullybad’s career to the point it is currently at.

“Youth know you likkle bleech outself,” said Popcaan. “Member a me give you the name fully bad a unruly clash a me first start give you energy!!!!!”

He continued, “Don’t bright yo bo**claat self wid me, don’t tag me inna uno likkle kids thing.”

Fullybad shared the screenshot of the DM and dropped a caption mentioning that his talent and his mom provided him with his moniker. He also expressed that he respects Popcaan and even mentions him in interviews.

“A my madda name mi and mi talent give me the name fullybad. Man all big yuh up inna interview. My youth Wul yuh corner bout energy yah JPS….control yuh cartoon character dem….one more ting badman nuh roll yiy….bun off dat. @popcaanmusic,” he wrote.

Foota Hype, who previously worked with Fully Bad, immediately made his allegiances known when he commented, “dem fi know a badgang tr8.”

We are unsure of what else will transpire from this latest square off. However, Urban Island is keeping a watchful eye on both camps and will provide you with updates as soon as they are available.

Aidonia Trolls Vybz Kartel From His Mansion, “Badmind Is Active”

Aidonia continues to troll Vybz Kartel on IG following rumors of an eviction.

Aidonia isn’t saying much; he’s letting his music throw the jabs as he responds subtly to Vybz Kartel as he vibes in front of his mansion to his latest song ‘Dat Eazy’. The 4th Genna leader showed off in his multicolor shorts and crisp white t-shirt as he vibes to the part of his song that speaks to him relaxing at a pool with a smooth skin chick, something Kartel clearly cannot do right now.

The video was posted to his Instagram, and within two hours, 58k people liked the post. Aidonia, in the caption, asked that his landlord contact him urgently, “can the landlord of this property contact me urgently I’ve been hearing about you and I need your assistance with an issue!!! #badmindisactive in haters,” he hashtagged to end the post.

Fans immediately reacted as they knew the post was directed to Kartel- one commenter posted, “Yo muma lashy @vybzkartel the genna say u fi contracts the landlord.” Another addressed Kartel, whose defacto home has been prison since his arrest in 2012 –“U think karte wuda more humble and silent in deh but ppl a laugh offa him cause end a day him deh a jail n didi a run road.”

Over on Twitter, Aidonia took the time to directly address the situation- he said, “one thing unu kno bout me mi nuh use media and controversy fi find song! Bad inna real life wid me GOD given talent!!! Drop boms pon dem head,” he said.

He also seems to be throwing words at Kartel’s sexuality “n****rs who talk too much suck hood,” he said in what is definitely a blow to the Fever artiste’ is a self-proclaimed gyallis who cannot conduct his usual affairs due to being imprisoned.

Mavado Shows Son Dante Brooks Love On IG Days Before Murder Trial Begins

Mavado is showering his son with love and support ahead of his criminal trial.

Dante Brooks, son of dancehall star Mavado, is expected to appear for a court hearing on Thursday. The teenager who was arrested more than two years ago will be tried as an adult come January 7. Brooks and his co-accused Andre Hines, 23, were hit with a barrage of charges stemming from the June 2018 murder of Lorenzo Thomas. Brooks was reportedly charged with illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition, arson, conspiracy to murder, and shooting with intent.

News that Dante Brooks would be tried as an adult came in November of last year when it was revealed that the 18-year-old would have a jury-free trial. While he is only facing a judge on Thursday, the charges against Brooks are enough to see him spend the rest of his life behind bars if he’s convicted. His family, including his father, is hoping for the best as we near the trial date.

Taking to Instagram to show his son some love, Mavado posted an old photo of him, and Dante hugged up on a roof somewhere overlooking the city. “Love you son,” the deejay wrote with a series of prayer hands emojis. Dante Brooks is being represented by attorney Peter Champagnie who recently told The STAR that his client is confident he will beat the case. “Our client is confident that when all the evidence is heard, he will be vindicated,” he said in a statement.

Mavado has not returned to Jamaica since his son was first arrested in 2018. The deejay reportedly left the country to avoid any heat coming down on him after everything erupted. It is rumored that he fled a barrage of gunshots in his embattled Kingston community, Cassava Piece, only a few days before the murder of Thomas, which led to speculation that it was a reprisal killing.

Dante Brooks is scheduled to see the judge overseeing his case on Thursday, January 7.

Vybz Kartel Fires Off On Aidonia Over Eviction Rumors, “hype n still a pay rent?”

Vybz Kartel is seemingly blasting another dancehall artist for being “hype” while allegedly still paying rent.

After a gasp-worthy subliminal on Instagram, fans believe that Vybz Kartel is trolling his longtime rival and labelmate Aidonia. It is rumored that the “Aircraft” deejay was recently evicted from his family mansion in Kingston & St. Andrew. Sources alleged that the family was being kicked out for failure to pay rental fees, and the owners were on the verge of suing. Though the claims remain unsubstantiated and many Aidonia stans came to the dancehall star’s defense, others are running with the narrative anyway.

In the midst of this, Vybz Kartel took to Instagram Stories to share a message for a “lukewarm b-class artiste,” but in all the name-calling, he cleverly avoided the mention of the deejay’s name. “Den how it so hype n still a pay rent? Jus move bk een wid u parent,” the dancehall mogul wrote. The two dancehall artists definitely have a long history, one that has spanned decades, and we have seen Kartel take jabs at Aidonia before.

Vybz-Kartel-Aidonia-comment.jpg

Since rumors of the eviction started spreading, Aidonia has refrained from addressing it – as he should if it’s as absurd as it sounds. The deejay’s wife Kimberly Megan, however, took to Instagram to laugh at the rumors, sharing videos of a fun night out on her Instagram Story. “Watch eviction,” she wrote with a laughing emoji on one post. Aidonia and Kimberly’s stans were supportive of her clapback and wrote the slanderous rumors off as solely that. One even pointed out that the couple purchased another home in 2020.

Vybz Kartel calls Aidonia a B-Class artist.
The discussions on whether they are renting or not and are moving out or not remain pure speculation for now. Regardless of clear facts coming to light on the situation, fans think they’ve connected the dots with Kartel’s latest post. The incarcerated deejay went on to say “When u is a luke warm b-class artiste for your entire career it wicked eno,” he wrote with a series of cackles on his Instagram Story.

Jerome Hyde: Jamaican Filmmaker & Music Video Producer Dead At 36

In some sad news, young and popular filmmaker Jerome Hyde has died.

Hyde was just 36-years-old and was well known for his direction of music videos for both dancehall and rhythm & blues artists. He passed away in Washington, DC, on Saturday, January 2. The unfortunate news was confirmed by his brother Lamar Hyde. However, his cause of death hasn’t been revealed. Even though Hyde was based in the US, his parents were from Jamaica, and he would constantly visit the island to film music videos with dancehall artists, including popular acts like Jahmiel.

The Howard University graduate also worked with R&B singer Johnny Gill. He usually impressed with his work and was chosen as a production assistant on the Martin Lawrence movie, “Big Moma’s House.”

His brother, Lamar, spoke with South Florida Caribbean News about how the family has been dealing with his passing. He described his brother as the life of the party.“He was a loving person who would go over and beyond for his friends. He was always goal-driven and the life of the party. As Jamaicans say, he was ‘jokify’.”

With many accolades to his name, probably one of his most remembered was being named the District of Columbia Office of Cable Television, Film, Music and Entertainment’s Film-maker of The Month in 2016. He was described as “a distinguished award-winning local filmmaker.” His work was multi-faceted and through his production company, Unplugged Multimedia, he had an impressive catalogue that included music videos, commercials, documentaries, short films and other film works. He also had some international productions as well.

He worked with Toyota, Radio-One, Discovery Channel, National Institutes of Health, the Washington Redskins, the Washington Wizards, and musicians Wale and New Edition, to name a few. Our condolences go out to the family at this time.

Tony Rebel Announces Rebel Salute Going Virtual For 2021 Staging

The current coronavirus pandemic has forced many promoters around the world to get innovative. Many popular shows in Jamaica, like Reggae Sumfest and the Jamaica Festival Song Competition, have followed suit and added their own special touch. This will also be the case for the organizers of Rebel Salute. The show’s organizers, which is usually a two-day reggae festival, have officially announced that their show will go virtual as well.

The Jamaica Observer spoke with the promoter of the event, veteran reggae aritste Tony Rebel. He said the last thing he wanted was that the show endangered the lives of fans. The virtual version of the show will take place on January 15 and 16.

“Rebel Salute is all about safety. So given the prevailing conditions this year, and not wanting to put fans in any further harm than what they are already facing, we have decided to go virtual. The truth is this is something we have been doing over the years,” he said.

He added that he was comfortable with the virtual space, having learned how to adjust. “Fans here at home and indeed all over the world have always been able to catch a live stream on some platform for a number of years, just like those who have joined us inside the various venues, which have played home to the festival. So we are really familiar with the virtual space and will be doing that for the Rebel Salute family this year,” he continued.

Rebel also chose not to give away too much of what to expect this year. He did say, though, that it would be a special edition. He also briefly described the upcoming show as a “docu-series.”

“There will be live performances, but that is all I’m willing to say at this time. The festival will be streamed on the major social media platforms and we are also in negotiations with an entity, so as soon as we conclude those discussions we will make it known,” he added.

The show has been held for 28 years and started as Rebel’s birthday celebration but has grown into a massive two-night event in St Ann. He also revealed that many of the people who come to the show are from overseas. They account for about 49 percent of the show’s patronage. Several dancehall and reggae veterans have performed over the years, like Beres Hammond, Steel Pulse, Toots and the Maytals, Sanchez, and Beenie Man, to name a few.

Rebel Salute also created history when it became the first music festival to be granted an exemption under the amendment to the Dangerous Drugs Act. Patrons were able to have small amounts of marijuana as part of their religious sacrament.

Vybz Kartel Releases New EP “Dancehall Royalty” With His Sons UTG

Vybz Kartel’s latest project Dancehall Royalty is now out.

As promised, Vybz Kartel released a five-track project EP. The album is called Dancehall Royalty, and features his sons Likkle Vybz and Likkle Addi. Other artistes featured on the EP include Renee 630 and his right-hand man Sikka Rymes. It’s about 16 minutes long. There’s no stopping the prolific artiste who has been behind bars on a murder charge since 2011 but has released numerous projects that have dominated Jamaican airwaves.

In fact, he hasn’t slowed down at all and remains the most streamed artiste in Jamaica. This is his third project in the span of a year. The first release, To Tanesha, was also dropped in the first month of the year in 2020, and he followed that up with Of Dons & Divas last June.

Vybz Kartel remains one of the most influential musicians in Jamaica, which was shown by how many birthday greetings he got via social media yesterday, January 7. He hinted last December that he would once again be releasing music to start the new year. He shared the news with a post on Instagram along with his sons and their mother, Shorty.

Last Wednesday, January 6, he posted a snippet of one of the upcoming tracks. He captioned that post, “this friday 1.8.21,” along with a series of tags. The album cover is a portrait of his family, indicating that they are the royal family of dancehall. So far, the album is available on Apple Music, Spotify, and Soundcloud.

He shared the news about the release early this morning, January 8, via Instagram. In a later post, he said, “#1 debut thanks to #GAZANATION”.

Take a look at the complete tracklist below:

01. “Titanium Steel” feat. Likkle Vybz
02. “My Own World” feat. Renee 630 & Likkle Addi
03. “Popular feat.” Likkle Addi
04. “Dirty John Crow” feat. Sikka Rymes
05. “Yea You” feat. Likkle Vybz

Dancehall Legend Sister Charmaine Dies At Age 54

Dancehall legend Sister Charmaine has died.

Reggae/dancehall has lost another icon as veteran artiste Sister Charmaine passed away, earlier today January 5. Sources confirmed with Urban Islandz on Tuesday that the legendary dancehall singer, who suffered from asthma, died peacefully in her sleep this morning. She was credited with being one of the first female deejays to use more vulgar lyrics and was considered a pioneer when it came to holding her own on stage.

She was considered one of the best among her peers when it came to freestyle. Her most remembered freestyle performance was in 1989 when she triumphed over Lady G, Patra, and Lady P at Sting. The year before, she appeared alongside Lady Mackerel and Junie Rank.

Her career began at an early age, and at just 17-years-old she had a hit single called “Glammity,” which got some airplay and eventually made its way onto some of the local charts in Jamaica. Jamaica was still very much conservative then, and the song was considered not fit for airplay.

During a 2015 interview on Sound Chat Radio with Irish & Chin Inc., she lamented the fact that the Sting competition had changed so much. She noted that in her time, it was just for fun and that she felt more modern versions had become very disrespectful. She did that interview alongside her close friend Lady Ann. In the interview, she fondly recalls the first days of Sting and also how she made sure to respect herself throughout her career. She added that this might have affected how many shows she got for the year as an artiste.

Sister Charmaine, whose real name is Charmaine McKenzie, did not shy away from a challenge and often clashed with male deejays as her career progressed. She was known for tracks like “Hol A Rest,” “Community Girl,” “Hol A Kuff,” and “Wake Up.” She eventually moved to New York in 1990. She was 54 years old at the time of her death today and is survived by her daughter, Kadisha, and a granddaughter. Our condolences go out to her family.

Dancehall Artiste Quada’s Murder Case Delayed Until March

Rising dancehall star Quada will have to wait until March 4, for his murder and arson case to begin after the matter was rescheduled yesterday, January 12. The decision was made after he appeared in the Kingston and St Andrew Parish Court in Half-Way-Tree.

His attorney-at-law, Bianca Samuels, explained to the Jamaica Observer that the hearing hit a snag because the prosecution hasn’t produced a final statement as yet.

“We were told the investigating officer is on leave and the liaison officer is ill, so neither of them could get the document,” Samuels said. She added that the judge stipulated a time for the document to be produced. “The judge made a note that it [March 4] is the final date for the disclosure of that document,” she continued.

Samuels also said that this was Quada’s seventh court appearance since the matter began and that he was eager to prove his innocence. “Unfortunately, this is not abnormal in terms of the delay in the court system, but no client is aware of that and no client really cares. They just want to have their case resolved,” she added.

She went on to say that the artiste had become frustrated with the process and that she believed that this was totally understandable.

“My client is exhausted and understandably so. He’s irritated, he is frustrated, as he has been on the past six occasions. He is anxious to prove his innocence and that process is being delayed further and further,” she continued.

On January 15, 2020, Quada was charged with murder and arson. He was granted bail on January 17, in the sum of JM $500,000. Quada, whose real name is Shacquelle Clarke, is facing a charge of the murder of Miguel Williams in Stirling Castle Heights, St Andrew, on April 17, 2019. Williams was 30-years-old.

Police reports indicate that an angry mob forced its way into Williams’s house and beat him before placing tires around his body. They later lit the man on fire inside the building. His body was found burnt beyond recognition. The crowd was believed to be exacting vigilante justice for the murder of eight-year-old Shantae Skyers, a student of Red Hills Primary School.

Back