Welcome To aBlackWeb

Strictly Dancehall/Reggae News

Tommy Lee Sparta Alleged In Prison Getting His Hair Braided By A Man In Viral Video

Tommy Lee Sparta went viral this week over an alleged video of the dancehall star in prison getting his hair braided by another man who appears to be an inmate.

The dancehall star is once again proving that being in jail is no different than if he was on the road, as a new video of the artist shows that he is healthy and in good spirits as he addresses the camera while music plays in the background.

Other prisoners can be seen in the video as Tommy Lee Sparta, wearing a black Fendi shirt and a gold chain with a machine gun pendant, speaks inaudibly to the camera.

Sparta is currently serving a three-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to illegal possession of firearm and ammunition charges. The sentence was handed down in March at the Supreme Court division of the Gun court. He has also been slapped with a murder charge in relation to the same gun, which police say has been allegedly involved in several murders in the corporate area.

The former Vybz Kartel protégé has, over the past few months, been seen in several videos circulating online purportedly from prison. One of the videos shared around Christmas time showed the artiste in good health as he awaited sentencing.

While many persons online reacted to how “festive” Tommy Lee Sparta and his background was, some compared his demeanor to that of Jah Cure, who noted in one of his songs “prison a nuh bed of roses,” as he lamented the time he spent behind bars.

The condition of the prison leaves much to be desired. However, of more concern to authorities might be the artiste being filmed as cell phones are considered contraband in prison, and regular sweeps have seen the devices being recovered by authorities from the likes of even Vybz Kartel himself, who tuned into a live video with dancehall producer Russian last year. The act caused outrage and calls for the government to act. It led to a search and seizure of the contraband from the artiste.

Vybz Kartel, however, has kept a low profile and has not been seen online as to how Tommy Lee Sparta has been seen.

It’s good to see Tommy Lee in good spirit despite being behind bars.

Shaggy Explains Why Language Is Key For Dancehall Artist’s Success Internationally

Shaggy breaks down why artists should bridge language barrier for global success.

Jamaican accent has always been considered endearing. In fact, it’s often considered one of the sexiest and coolest in various social media polls. However, Grammy Award-winning dancehall artist Shaggy has advised that if you are trying to connect with fans in broader audiences, then it’s best to use standard English.

Shaggy, real name, Orville ‘Shaggy’ Burrell, was speaking at ‘Lets Connect with Ambassador Marks.’ During the monthly chat series hosted on social media by Audrey Marks, Jamaica’s ambassador to the United States, he used his own life experiences on the world stage to elaborate his point. He was speaking specifically to Jamaican musicians and he asked them to think carefully about the image they portray. He revealed an experience he had with Maxi Priest to drive his point home.

“When I went on tour with Maxi Priest in 1992, he took me to Brazil … Me as the little youth dem time deh in the background, and they asked him a question, and he said ‘Shaggy, you answer that.’ Me start seh ‘Well yuh want see seh everything kinda good inna the baseline and me deh yah a hold a vibe.’ He was there saying ‘English, English’,” Shaggy said.

He admitted that at first he was confused about why he was asked to speak standard English but he was later made to understand that the interview would show on MTV, which was a unique opportunity to connect with a much larger audience. They probably would not have understood what he was trying to say.

He added that Maxi Priest asked why he wouldn’t want to speak clearly for everyone tuning in to understand what he was saying. Added to this, if a musician intends to take his career to the next level, fans from all over should be able to understand what he or she is saying.

He also shared an experience that he had with the late King of Pop, Micheal Jackson.

“I was in a room with him and It Wasn’t Me was his favourite. He started asking me where I wrote it, and this guy was reading my credits. Then he asked me about another song called Keeping it Real. I was trying to learn about this guy, The King of Pop, and I couldn’t get a word in because he wanted to know so much about me. This is a person where, at that time, I was the hottest thing in the world, and as big as he is, he’s like ‘I want to know all about this guy because he is now my competition,'” Shaggy said.

The “Angel” singer added that this was the approach taken by most of the top 10 persons on the Top 100 charts who he sees as his competition. All of these artists who are constantly in demand adopt the same approach, he added.

“I implore everybody, every artiste, to emulate people before you who are better at it, and figure ways you are to get around it. It’s cool to have a little bit of the swag a gwane, but if you take it too far, how you going to reach them. You need to have a balance,” he added.

Vybz Kartel Reveals Who He’s Seeing In Prison Much More Than Dancehall Artists

Vybz Kartel is pushing back against the notion that dancehall artists are the primary cultivators and facilitators of crime in Jamaica. The incarcerated dancehall legend recently shared on his Instagram Story his views from another angle on the notion that crime has a strong correlation with violent dancehall music.

After being behind bars for the past decade, Vybz Kartel has a good knowledge of who makes up the prison population, and one thing is very clear, dancehall artists are in the minority.

“Did you know? – (1) More cops inna prison dan deejay? (2)More pastor inna prison dan Deejay? (3) Cops and Pastor have more gunman son dan Deejay?,” Kartel wrote while adding, “Knowledge over Emotion…Research over guessing…DANCEHALL CYAA STALL.”

The post from Vybz Kartel’s page comes after PM Holness reignited the debate about dancehall playing a key role in high crime. The debate was sparked after Prime Minister Andrew Holness gave a statement in parliament on March 30, lashing out at artists who he said glorified violence in their music. The Prime Minister concluded that these lyrics have a negative impact on the nation’s children

Vybz-Kartel-message-prison.jpg

According to PM Holness, these artists were neglecting their duties to society. He added, “In our music and our culture, in as much as you are free to reflect what is happening in the society, you also have a duty to place it in context.”

Needless to say, the leader’s comments did not sit well with some of music’s biggest names. Deejays such as Baby Cham, Mavado, Bounty Killer, and Vybz Kartel are a few of the entertainers who have out the government for corruption, among other injustices, all while defending their profession.

Kartel is the latest to offer commentary on the situation. The deejay who has been incarcerated since 2014 on a murder charge may just be the best person to share statistics of life behind bars. Kartel is serving a life sentence for the murder of Clive “Lizard” Williams and will be eligible for parole after 35 years.

Despite being imprisoned, he has remained active in the music industry, releasing dozens of songs each year since his incarceration. His social media pages have also remained active, with commentary seemingly from the artiste being posted on the regular.

Fans of the deejay have waded into the discussion, sharing their views on the topic. One fan on YouTube wrote, “Talk true, these things we know, but them try Fe hide them , but try to make dancehall artist look bad.” Another user said, “The world boss speaking Facts.”

Regardless of the opinions of the masses, dancehall artists continue to be incarcerated at an alarming rate. Tommy Lee Sparta, Laden, Ninja Man, and Vybz Kartel are just a few well-known entertainers who are currently incarcerated for various crimes ranging from murder to illegal possession of firearms. Still, this doesn’t substantiate the notion that dancehall contributes or cause crime. While there is an argument to be made on both sides of the divide, research has shown that there are no direct correlation between criminal activity and lyrical content in music.

Vybz Kartel had appealed his conviction but was turned down by the nation’s Court Of Appeal. His attorneys have indicated that they will be taking his appeal to Jamaica’s highest court, the Privy Council in England.

Bounty Killer Taps Bunji Garlin For “King of Kingston” Album

Bounty Killer taps Bunji Garlin for his forthcoming album, King of Kingston.

One of Trinidad and Tobago’s premier Soca artists, Bunji Garlin, will feature on Bounty Killer’s highly anticipated album King of Kingston. Garlin is well known for his freestyle and phenomenal lyrical capability. His music has been recognized internationally, and this isn’t the first time that he’s been featured on a dancehall track. In 2016 he was featured on Junior Gong’s track, “The Message,” and in 2018, he and dancehall songstress Shenseea came together for “Big Bad Soca.”

This latest track is called “Free Up” and premiered on a London radio station by MixMasterJ earlier today (May 6). The song was produced by Christopher Birchill and is from his Sambana Riddim. Bunji spoke with Loop News and shared about how the collab came to be and the fact that it had been put in motion some years ago.

“We always maintained an artiste link and respect from as far back as about 2006 and in the later years we always talk back and forth about doing a track so when he called me up to get this done it was like the time is now,” he said. He also said that he had a lot of respect for fellow veteran artist Bounty Killer and that the respect and good vibes were translated onto the track.

“The feeling is a good feeling just like the song. Bounty has always been my favourite artiste so being featured on his album is something of legend,” he continued.

Loop News also spoke with Birchall, who explained that the track is a fusion of Soca, Dancehall, Afrobeats, and Reggaeton. He also revealed to Loop News that he came up with the beat first.

“Bounty heard about the beat and called me and asked me to send it to him. He liked it and he wanted to link Bunji. I said that is a wicked idea, he is a wicked performer, writer, entertainer, I always wanted to work with him,” he said.

He added that he was aware that the two wanted to collaborate for some time now but that the timing never seemed to be right. “This was the perfect timing and perfect energy, the concept is about what is going on but in a fun way,” he continued.

Mavado Unite Gully & Gaza Fans By Showing Tommy Lee Sparta Support: “One Ghetto”

Mavado’s latest move of solidarity is bringing the Gully and the Gaza together after more than a decade.

Many rivalries in dancehall have stood the test of time, namely, the rift between Mavado‘s Gully side clan and Vybz Kartel’s Gaza nation faction. Interestingly enough, while the two sides have managed to stay at odds even though Vybz Kartel‘s incarceration, it looks like it is the prison system after all that has come to be the catalyst to one of the dancehall stars taking the first step towards unity.

Some fans were rather surprised to see Mavado’s bold statement on Instagram today, a picture that spoke a thousand more words than his caption ever could. The photo featured the former Alliance deejay alongside Gaza Sparta boss Tommy Lee Sparta, a longtime affiliate of Vybz Kartel. In an effort to promote unity, Mavado penned a caption expressing his solidarity with the Sparta leader who has been in lockup since December 2020 and was sentenced to three years in prison in March.

“Bless up the youths dat fighting the struggle a brighter days. We might fight against each other at times but it’s just one ghetto and if we fight together then you will see the real power,” Mavado wrote in his caption. His post received a lot of support from dancehall stars and fans and though surprised, most seemed ready to be a part of a new community that supports unity over segregation.

“Tommy lee with movado wtf,” wrote one flabbergasted fan. “Never did I ever expect this,” another supporter expressed. “Fun fact Leroy was a gully fan from way back! Ask Mobay. Leroy was asked to also challenge him in a lyrical fuse but refuse! Unknown info!” he added. Others were glad to support a new movement, championing the bold move by Mavado. “Full time now, man dem fi unite and fight against the system not with each other,” one chimed.

It is not completely unreasonable to wonder what inspired such a post from Mavado, and fans are speculating that he may relate to those in the prison system personally now that his son will likely be on the inside for his entire adult life. Mavado has not been back in Jamaica since he fled in 2018 after arousing police suspicion following a shooting incident. Several murders were committed around that time that are all believed to be linked.

The deejay was shot at in his home community of Cassava Piece and made a report to the Constant Spring Police. While he was said to be wanted for questioning, Mavado left the country before police could carry out any interrogation. In what was believed to be a reprisal killing, 23-year-old Lorenzo Thomas was shot and killed and set ablaze in his home back in June 2018. Mavado’s son Dante Brooks was arrested and charged for that murder and has since been convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Could it all be hitting closer to home for Mavado now?

Fans have seen a huge shift in the dancehall community recently among the artists who would typically be feuding. After Mavado’s son received his life-changing prison sentence and the deejay’s mother passed away, a lot of unexpected members of dancehall reached out, including Bounty Killer and former Gaza artiste Popcaan.

Many have also noticed that Mavado has tried to have a more positive outlook lately and has been advocating for more unity in dancehall and in general. We see similar changes happening with Vybz Kartel and Bounty Killer, who have had a rift between them for many years. They now express nothing but love, respect, and admiration for each other on social media and are seen supporting each other in their posts with heartfelt captions.

Could this be a turning point for dancehall’s historically violent and contentious nature? Perhaps veterans may inspire younger artists to come together. As Sean Paul began to promote with his recent album, it’s “collaboration over confrontation.” Do you believe these recent developments will incite any real change in dancehall?

Boom Boom Says Skillibeng Now The Top Dancehall Artist But Lacks Versatility

Skillibeng has, no doubt, continued to aim high and make moves in the entertainment industry. But talks about the artiste’s declining song quality are once again popping up.

Veteran selector Boom Boom recently expressed that while he believes Skillibeng is the “big name in Jamaica right now,” the deejay should steer clear of the same flows he has been using repetitively on many of his songs.

The “Billboard Selector” made an appearance on TVJ’s Entertainment Report, which took place on Friday (April 30).

Boom Boom, whose real name is Marlon Wizard, also recommended that the “Crocodile Teeth” deejay also reduce the number of tracks he has been releasing progressively.

“Me caan hide him glory. A Skilli a the man right now,” Boom Boom said. But when E.R. host Anthony Miller asked if he believed all his songs were making sense, the selector responded, “Him have couple song weh him release, me see the people them start bash it, say a nursery rhyme, him need fi do better.”

The Alliance selector said he agreed with the criticisms but still could not deny that Skillibeng is “the man” at the moment, as the young deejay has been releasing songs that have hit international markets, specifically, his single “Crocodile Teeth.”

But, with the criticisms, Boom Boom was perhaps referring to Skillibeng’s recent single “Yo,” which had received a number of negative comments, critiques, and jeers upon its release.

Boom agreed with Miller that his “failed” songs were due to the fact that the artiste had been releasing too many songs at one point. Notably, other artists such as Vybz Kartel are known for his hurried song-releasing streak without being an epic fail. But, Boom Boom argued that Skillibeng should not be compared to an artiste like Vybz Kartel, who has been in the industry for a while and has established himself as one of Jamaica’s prolific artists.

“No. Kartel will always be Kartel. Kartel inna a class himself. A di teacher dat,” he declared.

The Esyde artiste has been under scrutiny for some time, as some fans had expressed concern that his new music releases were not as good as previous songs.

While it is well known that the 24-year-old deejay is immensely talented, some fans have been speculating that he may not be taking his music very seriously.

However, the “Coke” deejay has a bright future ahead, and fans are hoping that he will use his talent to the best of his ability to make the best of opportunities to come.

Bounty Killer Blast Dancehall Artists Supporting Criminals Amid Police & Gunmen Shootout

Bounty Killer did not hold back on giving his opinion on the violence currently gripping Jamaica.

The dancehall legend speaks out after receiving the news of a shootout that took place earlier today on Trafalgar Road in New Kingston that left two gunmen dead and another in custody. The shootout, which took place at a rather busy intersection in the Kingston 5 area around midday, was captured by a curious onlooker who was standing out meters away from where the shots were being fired.

The “Benz and Bimma” recording artist took to his Instagram account to let his 815,000 followers know just how he felt about what had happened.

“Moments after this took place on Waterloo Rd two likkle mascaraed go meet them Waterloo the little youths them have no rawt_d sense today”, Bounty Killer said. He claimed that merely hours before receiving the news, he had posted the “Crime Stop Crime Crash” video, which is a motivational clip promoting peace and taking a stand against crime.

He showcased his disgust with the current state of the nation as a whole and stated that he would not have bothered to leave Riverton or Seaview Gardens if this is what can be expected after leaving the inner-city communities. The artist then went on to put down those who support persons who engage in criminal activities.

He then continued to show his hatred for these individuals, claiming that persons associated with those who support this type of behavior should also be condemned.

“Is this the Jamaica we all wanted ppl really is it I don’t know about nobody wanted but if this was the life I wanted I wouldn’t bother to leave Riverton or Seaview Gardens then so hear mi all of the Stinking Nasty Duty Rotten Johncrow Skirmish Zaar Criminal deh fi bloodclaath DEAD in cold blood I CARE ZERO,” Killer added.

My stance this I Stand With Country anyone who is friends or associates with any kind of pu**y ole like this should be treated likewise Especially Some Artiste gal and boy who is buying guns and mining gunman and criminal bullet unuh fi get to str8 up mi nuh hide and talk mi bad bumboclaath man who nuh like it just say a word bitches and witches waiting, Killer added.

Bounty Killer has been very vocal in his stance against the crime and violence that has become the norm in Jamaica’s society. He recently challenged the Prime Minister’s view that dancehall music was the main cause of crime by listing other social factors which play major roles in the problem that is currently sweeping the island.

Mavado’s Son Dante Brooks Attorney Confident About Appeal, Eager To Get Transcripts

ill Mavado’s son, Dante Brooks, get a chance to appeal his life sentence for his charge of murder?

His lawyer, Peter Champagnie, believes that once he receives the transcript of Brooks’ trial that he will get an appeal date. He spoke with the Jamaica Observer about his optimism towards the case and why he believes they have a good shot at appealing the sentence.

Brooks, who is is just 18-years-old, was sentenced to life imprisonment in the Home Circuit Court on March 19. He will have to serve 22 years before he is eligible for parole. He was also sentenced to 15 years on illegal possession of firearm charge and 15 years on the arson charge. He is to serve the charges concurrently.

“The registry of the Court of Appeal has already communicated to me in writing to confirm my representation of Mr Brooks for the appeal,” he said.

He added that because of improved services where appeals are concerned, he is confident that Brooks will be given an appeal date in the near future.

“Given the much-improved rate in terms of timeline at which appeals are now being heard, it is my anticipation that as soon as the transcript from the trial is available a date will be given for the hearing of the matter,” he added.

Another man convicted, along with Dante Brooks, Andre Hinds, was also sentenced to life imprisonment and will have to serve 17 years before he is eligible for parole. He received the same 15 years on the illegal possession of firearm charge and 15 years on the arson charge. There is no word on whether or not he will also appeal his case.

Both men were found guilty on January 27 of the 2018 murder of Lorenzo Thomas in the St Andrew community of Cassava Piece. According to reports coming out of the case, Brooks and Hinds were among five men who entered a house and shot Thomas before pushing his father into another room. They also attempted to sever his head but stopped after the machete that was being used was not sharp enough. Prosecutors also stated that they poured gasoline on the house and body before setting the place on fire.

Jada Kingdom Addresses Suicide Rumors & Speak On Weight Loss

Jada Kingdom has once again taken to social media to address rumors claiming that she tried to commit suicide.

The dancehall singer took to Instagram live, alongside a friend, to speak about several stories that have been circulating in the media in recent weeks. The first issue she touched on was rumors of her having had plastic surgery. Jada Kingdom said, “Bear in mind a so gyal born, shape good run inna the family.”

Checking to ensure that her friend was understanding her patois, Jada Kingdom continued, “Shape good run inna the family. Wi never just walk and just pick it up so, a God gi wi. So it did unda deh areddi, girl did just thicka dan she fi thick. And gyal did look nice from morning. Period.”

“So everybody inna mi inbox a talk bout how mi do surgery pon mi stomach, f**k you!” the singer added.

Jada Kingdom then went on to make a shocking revelation, telling viewers that she had been diagnosed with diabetes in 2016, in addition to suffering from bipolar depression. She said, “I was eating a bunch of foolishness, everything fried. Rice was my best friend.” She explained that her weight would fluctuate weekly, and due to being depressed nothing mattered to her.

“I was ready to die,” the singer said. “To be honest mi give thanks fi Verse because if a neva fi Verse, honestly mi feel like mi woulda like lost certain way. Verse literally is like one of the best thing weh eva happen to mi inna mi entire f**king life.”

She spoke on eating better, doing liquid diets, becoming a pescatarian for over two years, and generally starting to take better care of her body. Now that she is a better version of herself, Jada said people are just stuck on who she was in the past.

Addressing rumors of skin bleaching, she stated, “Mi nah bleach. Eat clean, live clean, pray, trust God, that’s it.” She again dismissed rumors that she was doing drugs, saying her personality is just naturally lit. The singer recently posted another video on her Instagram story where she cursed out haters for spreading rumors that she was taking cocaine.+

Jada also dispelled rumors that she was beefing with another female artiste, saying, “I ain’t got no beef with nobody.”

On the matter of her alleged hospitalization and subsequent suicide watch placement, the Dancehall singer said this was an outright lie. “This rumor was going around, saying I was in the hospital, that I tried to commit suicide, that’s a lie. That’s a f**king lie. I needed a social media detox and I took a two week break and that was the best two weeks of my f**king life. You guys should try it,” she added.

The singer ended her live video by warning fans to be careful who they trust. She also encouraged persons interested in music not to give up, as they will encounter challenges and have failures, but they should remain determined.

On a lighter note, Jada and her friend also showed off some dancing skills as she hopped onto Spice’s #GoDownDeh challenge. Wining her waistline and showing some serious knee strength, Jada bellowed, “Yuh nuh bad like mi Spice, Yuh nuh bad like me,” while her friend cheered her on. Sadly Jada wasn’t able to keep up as she hilariously fell over onto the ground.

Spice reposted the IG Live clip and added the caption, “@jadakingdom yuh see me ? Mi don’t trouble people until dem trouble me, and yuh see how mi never trouble you and yuh call up mi name say mi no bad like Yuh? Aright den WATCH MI AND YUH (When mi wake up later) #godowndehchallenge get serious now.”

The two artists have a beautiful friendship that is blossoming right before their fans’ eyes, and they love every minute of it. Spice has now promised to go Live on Instagram to take Jada on, and her bevy of fans are already declaring her the winner.

The convictions of Vybz Kartel and his co-defendants are "quashed" - and Jamaica's highest court, the Court of Appeals, is to decide if there is to be a new trial.

🔷️ This means Kartel cannot remain imprisoned for anything presented in his trial and that he is also TEMPORARILY free.
🔷️ Additionally, given that the Privy Council is unequivocal in its ruling that Kartel's trial was so flawed that the convictions must be thrown out....Jamaica's Court of Appeals is now burdened with essentially determining if the trial should have resulted in NOT GUILTY verdicts for the accused and if the defendants can reasonably secure a fair new trial.
🔷️ Also, if a retrial is ordered, the court will decide if the defendants will remain custody or be granted bail (freed) while the trial proceeds.
🔷️ While it is possible the Court of Appeals could order a new trial.....the present trajectory is leaning towards them not doing so.....I think. The momentum has considerably swung in Kartel's favor.
🔷️ The drama continues.....

Wouldn't mind seeing dude free but I also feel the Jamaican judiciary system too petty to admit a mistake and might just keep him locked up

we'll see if the people mash up the place the longer they stall

the way it all played out is just crazy mane

Back