Welcome To aBlackWeb

Special effects appreciation thread

Great thread premise. Computer generated images look great these days with how advanced technology is but there is something so special about practical effects.

I think some CGI things just don't look as realistic as when folks would actually create real sets, masks, or props.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I saw this shit as a kid in the theaters.... And I remember feeling like I was legit in the car with them kids...

Wasn't shit cheesy.... These motherfuckers looked real

Jurassic Park is a legendary, epic, classic... the whole damn shits of a movie.

But is this considered as "special effects"? Like they used animatronic dinosaurs. It's practical, but when I hear "special effects" I think of computer-generated imagery:

Terminator 2 (T1000)
Total Recall
Men In Black
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Matrix
Etc...

Am I tripping or yall see what I'm saying?

Jurassic Park is a legendary, epic, classic... the whole damn shits of a movie.

But is this considered as "special effects"? Like they used animatronic dinosaurs. It's practical, but when I hear "special effects" I think of computer-generated imagery:

Terminator 2 (T1000)
Total Recall
Men In Black
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Matrix
Etc...

Am I tripping or yall see what I'm saying?

Same umbrella imo.

You've just described practical effects (puppets n'shit) vs computer generated (software n'shit).

But it's all special effects n'shit.

I'm leaning more towards practical simply because they are more difficult... Cool and suspend belief

Jurassic Park used both prosthetics as well as CGI.

The animation team was truly ahead of it's time. Apparently the whole TRex chase scene was done in CGI

I read an article a few years ago wondering how they did it. Found a video referencing the same info.

Imagery today still doesn't look as good as what they were able to achieve in Jurrasic Park. And that was almost 30 years ago.

Back