Welcome To aBlackWeb

So who supposed to drive the busses?

I understand your first hand accounts but I don't believe that those stats are true or that in was conducted in a proper environment.

There will always be people who work lower wage jobs. Whether they find themselves there because it's what they chose to do, or if they made some mistakes where that a lower wage job was necessary be it for life or as a stepping stone to get themselves out of the hole they find themselves in.

Last edited:
Although a small sample size, I can look at my neighborhood and people I went to school with to tell you that what I stated is true.

I told you that I grew up in a middle-class neighborhood.

A lot of my homies from the neighborhood went to prison for years, or just out here living life doing whatever.

Shit, I knew a principal's son who did 7-years in prison for armed-robbery because he started to roll with the wrong crew.

I knew another principal's son who was a knucklehead back in the day. Not sure what he is doing now though.

I could give a few more similar examples, which is not good.
Nobody I grew up with went to jail but idk, anecdotes are a hard one because it could be other variables. A study is definitely worth doing.

I understand your first hand accounts but I don't believe that those stats are true or that in was conducted in a proper environment.

That is why I said a small sample size, which means it doesn't represent an entire population.

However, if you are in an area where the public school systems has a mixture of lower and middle-class students, then you can see the stories that I mentioned play out many times.

Middle-class nigga probably out here trying to prove that he ain't soft.

Most of my stories played out in the 1990s and early 2000s.

I am sure it is probably different today because most of these kids are softer.

i dunno, i guess it just seems fucked up to have all the potential in the world, but never live up to it.......

like that's a torturous existence....knowing and feeling that you're supposed to be a part of something greater than you can ever achieve....

meanwhile there's many people who don't have that potential so they're much more content with things a naturally more ambitious person would consider mediocre....

i guess it all comes down to perception.....cuz some people may feel like a job at mcdonalds is extremely fulfilling...while others are banging their head against a wall trying to figure out how they are subjected to provide through these means...

especially college grads.....

in all his bs.. cam broke it down perfectly....

america don't give us a plan B

how you gonna get fresh?????

Sorry, I had to step away for one second...

Oh yeah, one more point...

I am not sure of the statistics, but it seems like blacks who grow up in middle-class situations are at high risk of failure.

Perhaps, black children in this situation feel a need to prove themselves to their peers who come from lower-classes.

Or, these same children don't have the same work ethic and drive that their parents had to escape a dire situation in order to make a better life for themselves. Black-middle class parents often make the mistake of spoiling their kids, trying to give them the childhood that they did not have themselves. No hard work or financial responsibility is taught.

I made two points in this post.

I already answered one.

Now, regardless of race, if you spoil your kids, then they may start to feel entitled to certain things in life when the world owes you nothing. As blacks, we need to be careful because there are so many things already working against us out here.

Come on yo lol

Lived in all kinds of schools n neighborhoods but in the upper middle class ones, none of the black kids went into crime or anything. What's considered middle class is vague tho. Ima check if there's a study on this, think I still got jstor access

Come on yo lol

Lived in all kinds of schools n neighborhoods but in the upper middle class ones, none of the black kids went into crime or anything. What's considered middle class is vague tho. Ima check if there's a study on this, think I still got jstor access

I don't know boo... maybe I just lived in a fucked up area.

<>

Sorry, I had to step away for one second...

Oh yeah, one more point...

I am not sure of the statistics, but it seems like blacks who grow up in middle-class situations are at high risk of failure.

Perhaps, black children in this situation feel a need to prove themselves to their peers who come from lower-classes.

Or, these same children don't have the same work ethic and drive that their parents had to escape a dire situation in order to make a better life for themselves. Black-middle class parents often make the mistake of spoiling their kids, trying to give them the childhood that they did not have themselves. No hard work or financial responsibility is taught.

Although a small sample size, I can look at my neighborhood and people I went to school with to tell you that what I stated is true.

I told you that I grew up in a middle-class neighborhood.

A lot of my homies from the neighborhood went to prison for years, or just out here living life doing whatever.

Shit, I knew a principal's son who did 7-years in prison for armed-robbery because he started to roll with the wrong crew.

I knew another principal's son who was a knucklehead back in the day. Not sure what he is doing now though.

I could give a few more similar examples, which is not good.

That is why I said a small sample size, which means it doesn't represent an entire population.

However, if you are in an area where the public school systems has a mixture of lower and middle-class students, then you can see the stories that I mentioned play out many times.

@Dupacalypse, you grew up in a rougher area than I did.

What do you think of my assertion that black middle-class kids are at high risk due to a variety of factors, especially the class mixing part?

I am not saying lower-class automatically means bad or anything.

Like I said before, some niggas are going to nig whenever they are at...

in my experience, I think black middle class kids who grow up in predom white areas, as upper middle class neighborhoods tend to be, r at risk of shit like self hate, apologism/colorblindness, elitism n inferiority complexes. Black middle class kids who grow up in black neighborhoods r prolly gonna have different risk factors.

What do you think of my assertion that black middle-class kids are at high risk due to a variety of factors, especially the class mixing part?

Like I said before, some nigs are going to nig whenever they are at...
So interested to know.

Like I said before, some niggas are going to nig whenever they are at...
lower expectations....

no one i grew i with expected to be shit.....

like even minor accomplishments seem like you really made it....

i'm kinda torn, cuz compared to a lotta the people i grew up with i'm doing great, but to me, and where i feel i should be in life, i'm drastically behind...

so it comes down to perspective...

lower expectations....

no one i grew i with expected to be shit.....

like even minor accomplishments seem like you really made it....

i'm kinda torn, cuz compared to a lotta the people i grew up with i'm doing great, but to me, and where i feel i should be in life, i'm drastically behind...

so it comes down to perspective...
What perspective would you like your son to have?

The game was different in those days. You were two people sometimes less to the plug so to speak.
This would make us doomed. If I raise my child in the hood he is going to turn to hustling if I raise him middle class he is going to hustle. Kids need options and if you provide them with options the first choice is not going to always be the fast one. Also teaching starts at home not at school. We are not doomed. My son is only 3 so he doesn't know dad the hustler. He knows dad the business man so I hope that is what he sees. Because hustling should not be his 5th option because he will have choices.

What perspective would you like your son to have?

I want him to be a hard worker, but at the same time i want him to be perceptive enough to see the outs & opportunities that i missed.....

and know how to take advantage of those opportunities....

i let a lotta shit pass me by i was just too ignorant to recognize.....

not ignorant in a negative way.... but true ignorance... just not knowing or recognizing an opportunity for what it was due to lack of intelligence or awareness of it

I want him to be a hard worker, but at the same time i want him to be perceptive enough to see the outs & opportunities that i missed.....

and know how to take advantage of those opportunities....

i let a lotta shit pass me by i was just too ignorant to recognize.....

not ignorant in a negative way.... but true ignorance... just not knowing or recognizing an opportunity for what it was due to lack of intelligence or awareness of it
this is stuff I struggle with. The how of it.

Children who have parents that attend college are more likely to attend college. Not that college is the end all to be all but immediate college was not a choice for me. Because even with the usual tap and pell I didn't know who was going to pay for the other things and my mother didn't explain community college for two years and stuff like that to me. I had scholarships and didn't go to college immediately because there was no one to guide me like that and I went to a decent high school. My son could be a C student and if he wants to go to school he will because we have a means to send him and if we didn't we have an understanding of the system so he can go. @du you and your wife are doing a great job just by recognizing the challenges and adjusting your thinking for the betterment of your son. There are no guarantees but you will be able to look yourselves in the mirror and say we gave him options. If he still chooses negative than that would be on him. Same with my son. My wife would then leave me and say it was in his jeans and she shouldn't have married me but that another story.

like for example....let's say by some chance this writing takes off....

i'm 34....34

i've been struggling for years, and prolly had this inside me the entire time.....like had i had the knowledge, and guidance at a younger age.....i could have avoided all this shit...

and that's a reflection of my reality....i know tons of people who i see potential in....i know people who are walking encyclopedias....they do those crossword puzzles in the paper like it's nothing.....

but they like 40 years old on the corner still selling coke n weed......

shit just crazy to me bruh...you fuck around and met a janitor that's a musician and a fucking virtuoso at it...like more raw talent than anyone out in the world...but they cleaning shit for a living....

i just want my son to maximize his potential....always being told how smart and awesome you are while living broke is for the birds bruh...

i don't want him to live that life....that kid is way smarter than me....i think he can do great things.....and would love to instill the tools in him to achieve those things....or atleast the understanding that hee needs to seek out the tools...

i went to college not even knowing how to study, cuz i just coasted through school with talent alone......

imagine if i was studious....

i could have gotten a scholarship to a prep highschool for playing lacrosse when i was like 12... but i threw a fit because i didn't want to go to the mostly white, uniform wearing, all boy prep school that was right around the corner from the highschool all my friends went to....

and i really can't blame my mother, i cuz i clearly remember being a complete jerk about it....i threatened to hook school every day n everything....

shit was misguided as fuck.....

but i had athletic talent....i prolly coulda gotten to and through college if i had been more studious and had been pushed towards athletics....my moms wanted a musician....i eventually wrestled and played football... but i did it on my own......

in college, never studied, and had i had okay grades, i could have gotten a athletic scholarship my 3rd year...

ended up dropping out.....got lucky and got a government job, and never went back to school

smartest kid in the hood, potential out the ass....never really applied myself to shit....

so with my son, imma make sure he always applies himself....

like here's a prime example...

me and one of my best friends were prolly two of the brightest kids in our school, and we both almost got suspended because he was taking bets while i was in the geography bee....i answered a question wrong when he gave me a sign so that he could get more bets....then turned it on in the finals

the only reason we got off cuz he heard a teacher remarking to another teacher that"That fool Du won the geography bee...can you believe it?"
and got my moms up there to act a damn fool... shit was awesome

Back