Welcome To aBlackWeb

So who supposed to drive the busses?

is that a bad thing though?

Who's to say that ones full potential is not flipping burgers, driving buses or handing @Dupacalypse his McMuffin?

The problem is the assumption that jobs such as these are not desired by others. Perhaps to us/many these jobs are considered beneath the ultimate goal. However, for many it IS the desired goal.

There will always be that teenager who needs a foot in the door, that elderly person who can't really do much else, or the individual who is trying to get their life back on track. To them as well as many others, these jobs are the best thing since sliced bread and they perform them daily with the greatest of smiles and deepest gratitude.

Happiness comes in all forms, including what we may call dead end jobs.

Who's to say that ones full potential is not flipping burgers, driving buses or handing @Dupacalypse his McMuffin?

The problem is the assumption that jobs such as these are not desired by others. Perhaps to us/many these jobs are considered beneath the ultimate goal. However, for many it IS the desired goal.

There will always be that teenager who needs a foot in the door, that elderly person who can't really do much else, or the individual who is trying to get their life back on track. To them as well as many others, these jobs are the best thing since sliced bread and they perform them daily with the greatest of smiles and deepest gratitude.

Happiness comes in all forms, including what we may call dead end jobs.
I've met a couple people who like the interaction those jobs offer. Chatting to ppl n shit.

People need to stop letting these job define them as a person.

Jobs are what we do in order to pay our bills, but what we do in our free-time is up to us.

You could be a fast-food worker, janitor, or servant, but the off-clock you can be the best spouse or parent ever which could bring your life all the fulfillment it needs.

People need to stop letting these job define them as a person.

Jobs are what we do in order to pay our bills, but what we do in our free-time is up to us.

You could be a fast-food worker, janitor, or servant, but the off-clock you can be the best spouse or parent ever which could bring your life all the fulfillment it needs.
Spending most of our waking days either at work, commuting to work, or taking home work makes that hard to do.

So much of our lives center around our professions and IMO it isn't natural.

I think people should define what success means to them and work towards that. Don't let others define success for you.

As long as you're content, that's all that matters.
Jobs/income/social status don't define who we are.

Spending most of our waking days either at work, commuting to work, or taking home work makes that hard to do.

So much of our lives center around our professions and IMO it isn't natural.

Don't be a buzzkill, b. I am trying to give niggas hope.

Don't be a buzzkill, b. I am trying to give niggas hope.
You can have an exec position, with a giant office, beautiful secretary/sidepiece, more money than u know what to do with, and still wanna blow your brains out.

In other words, I agree with u. Still gon buzzkill tho.

(I know this is off topic a little lmao)

But I for one am tired of "Black excellence"
...my Black does NOT need to be excellent to be worthy to thrive and be left alone.

I think Black people are taught early on to be overachievers and work really hard to prove we are capable ----and of value.
That SHIT can be so draining.
I'm trying to survive and live a decent life. dassit.

I plan on teaching my children to do the best at whatever it is they want to do.

Be the best janitor, make the best Mcmuffins in town, be the best clerk or consultant. idc
just do your best and fall in love with the process of becoming great. Dassit.

Im all for Black okness and Black alrightness and Black so-so lmao
You are excellent whether society affirms it or not.

I have no problem with the Black Excellence saying. I do agree it's important to view yourself as excellence regardless of whether society affirms it.

I definitely prefer Black Excellence being encouraged to "oh, you won't make it in Big Law - you're black" - which is said so much more frequently. I think Black Excellence is a response to all the discouragement.

(I know this is off topic a little lmao)

But I for one am tired of "Black excellence"
...my Black does NOT need to be excellent to be worthy to thrive and be left alone.

I think Black people are taught early on to be overachievers and work really hard to prove we are capable ----and of value.
That SHIT can be so draining.
I'm trying to survive and live a decent life. dassit.

I plan on teaching my children to do the best at whatever it is they want to do.

Be the best janitor, make the best Mcmuffins in town, be the best clerk or consultant. idc
just do your best and fall in love with the process of becoming great. Dassit.

Im all for Black okness and Black alrightness and Black so-so lmao
You are excellent whether society affirms it or not
This times a million.......

we're so conditioned that we have to be excellent, that when we fall short the depression is immaculate...

not to be lowering the bar, but we as a community blur the hell outta the gray areas.....

it's not just black and white.....lol.....but we treat it as such...

either you balling , or you ain't shit...

and look at how many of us find our selves in the shit because we want to ball....

i have a horrible habit of over spending ...not on luxurious shit..... but little dumb shit i felt i never got enough of as a kid.....

and that little dumb shit adds up......

i can't ever criticize niggaz for going broke buying jordans and new iphones 6's or any of those types things when i know my own consumer faults....

i love spoiling my wife and child....growing up, it was just me and moms.....i never had that complete family....now that i have one, i can't help but to do stuff as a unit.....

i love being able to buy a new car....something we just grew up without when i was younger....

i unno, i'm just ranting....

lol, i have an okay job, but i kinda feel i had the potential to do so much more, and ultimately i feel my family deserves it....and it is kinda depressing when i can't i give them the things my imagination tells me they should have....

i love that yall continued the convo though....

we're so conditioned that we have to be excellent, that when we fall short the depression is immaculate...

not to be lowering the bar, but we as a community blur the hell outta the gray areas.....

and look at how many of us find our selves in the shit because we want to ball....

i have a horrible habit of over spending ...not on luxurious shit..... but little dumb shit i felt i never got enough of as a kid.....

i can't ever criticize niggaz for going broke buying jordans and new iphones 6's or any of those types things when i know my own consumer faults....

i love spoiling my wife and child....growing up, it was just me and moms.....i never had that complete family....now that i have one, i can't help but to do stuff as a unit.....

i love being able to buy a new car....something we just grew up without when i was younger....

lol, i have an okay job, but i kinda feel i had the potential to do so much more, and ultimately i feel my family deserves it....and it is kinda depressing when i can't i give them the things my imagination tells me they should have....

I understand Du. I think materialism is a big culprit. We're in a consumerist society. Living a great life shouldn't be measured by buying (and by extension, wasting) power.

The American Dream is itself a materialistic one lol. How much of it is tied to things - the big house, green garden, 2 car garage and so on? Little of it is about the people and experiences. As if the reward for hard work and achievement is just stuff.

I wanna act ballerific like it's all terrific
I got a couple past due bills, I won't get specific
I got a problem with spending before I get it
We all self conscious, I'm just the first to admit it
<<>>

Spot on DU.

Great thread.

Back