Welcome To aBlackWeb

So who supposed to drive the busses?

Duwop

Savage Garden ⬛
Mod Squad
Look, i know we live up in a world where we tell our children they can be anything.

we always tell people to get out of dead end jobs and live to their full potential.....

everybody teaching financial stability and growth....going into business for themselves.....

all this positivity and progression.....but there's one plot hole in this story.....

if everybody should aspire to do great and work for themselves?

who the hell supposed to be giving me my mcmuffin at 23oam?

just my thoughts on a tuesday morning

Not to me it isn't. My thinking is whatever you have to do to bring home a paycheck then do it, I don't look down on people supporting themselves cause sometime you gotta do jobs that you don't want to

Not to me it isn't. My thinking is whatever you have to do to bring home a paycheck then do it, I don't look down on people supporting themselves cause sometime you gotta do jobs that you don't want to
neither do i....i'm just picking at the glaring hole in everybody following their dreams......

cuz if everybody chasing dreams, there's a lotta shit that might not ever get done.....

some people gonna have to be planted in reality.....

Good thread. I may speak in circles, but I am going to try and get this off my mind.

Life is what you make of it. Everyone is not going to take the same path. Learning and becoming inspired from other people is good, as long as you don't become obsessed with matching them. As long as you have reached your personal best, then be happy with yourself. If you haven't reached your personal best, but you are happy anyways, then that is a blessing in itself. We have seen people with money still find a way to fuck up their lives because they have made bad financial choices or haven't exorcised personal demons. Money does not necessarily guarantee someone's success or buy his or her happiness.

Our purpose as human beings is to create offspring to keep our race going. Nothing more. Sure, some of us may do something great along the way to help society while most of us will not. Even if parents don't reach their own full potential, they can still set up their kids to do better than them.

@Dupacalypse

Last edited:
yea i get you, i think it was MLK who said something like if you sweep floors,be the best floor sweeper in the world, take pride in everything you do....

it's just kinda reflective of the dreams they sell to youth... cuz nobody in 2nd grade talkin bout they wanna be a customer service call center representative....

even if in adulthood they're fucking great at it

The person giving you your mcmuffin at 2:30 may be studying all day. The old people used to say if you are going to be shoe shiner be the best you can be. Different people have and want different things so if you want to surf all day and live out of your car you prorbably want to be a waiter or bartender at night. Society puts pressure on people to achieve this and that and sometimes it is just our personalities but not everyone is involved in the rat race. There will always be someone that enjoys doing those type of jobs and sometimes they are happier than the overachievers that are always reaching for something.

I think this is an interesting discussion, especially in the black community.

The allure of the baller lifestyle is prevalent in our community.

Many kids in our community think that athletics or illegal activities is the only way to live the aforementioned lifestyle, or get out the hood in general.

When many blacks become successful, we marry "trophy spouses" outside of our race, which eventually causes our wealth to leave the community in one-to-two generations. By the way, I have nothing against interracial dating / marriage. Be with the person you love.

there absolutely is a "getting out of the hood" mentality of many of those who grow up in the black community...we're constantly told we can do better, and we put pressure on ourselves to do better for our children....

but for those who don't "get out"...like....how do we address that??

i mean i think i'm doing iight, my wife is doing iight...my sons's childhood is already dramatically different and better than mines...but it's not like luxurious by any shot of the imagination...i can't see my son saying he wants to be a site representative who does what i do when he grows up......

i prolly ain't wanna do this either, but it pays the bills and the benefits are awesome....

i dunno, it just places goals and aspirations in perspective when basic needs are met, and your overall situation is gratifying

There is nothing wrong with a Farmers son wanting to be a farmer. If you can feed your family and pass the farm down than that is great. The problem is our careers are not that simple anymore and we all want what we think is better for our children but more material things may not be better. I want my son to be a better human being than me. I want him to be happier than I am. Whatever else is all gravy. But the things that make me happy may not make him happy so I can't judge him if he does things that I wouldn't.( I am his father so I am going to) but I hope I don't

Sorry, I had to step away for one second...

Oh yeah, one more point...

I am not sure of the statistics, but it seems like blacks who grow up in middle-class situations are at high risk of failure.

Perhaps, black children in this situation feel a need to prove themselves to their peers who come from lower-classes.

Or, these same children don't have the same work ethic and drive that their parents had to escape a dire situation in order to make a better life for themselves. Black-middle class parents often make the mistake of spoiling their kids, trying to give them the childhood that they did not have themselves. No hard work or financial responsibility is taught.

There is nothing wrong with a Farmers son wanting to be a farmer. If you can feed your family and pass the farm down than that is great. The problem is our careers are not that simple anymore and we all want what we think is better for our children but more material things may not be better. I want my son to be a better human being than me. I want him to be happier than I am. Whatever else is all gravy. But the things that make me happy may not make him happy so I can't judge him if he does things that I wouldn't.( I am his father so I am going to) but I hope I don't
farmers are a family business that you inherit...that's completely different.....

i'm talking like someone who answers phones or a food server at a school r something...that's not the kinda work you inherit...

farmers are a family business that you inherit...that's completely different.....

i'm talking like someone who answers phones or a food server at a school r something...that's not the kinda work you inherit...
But a lot of kids want to be what their parents are. If your father works for transit and you had a decent childhood you are going to follow suit.

Sorry, I had to step away for one second...

Oh yeah, one more point...

I am not sure of the statistics, but it seems like blacks who grow up in middle-class situations are at high risk of failure.

Perhaps, black children in this situation feel a need to prove themselves to their peers who come from lower-classes.

Or, these same children don't have the same work ethic and drive that their parents had to escape a dire situation in order to make a better life for themselves. Black-middle class parents often make the mistake of spoiling their kids, trying to give them the childhood that they did not have themselves. No hard work or financial responsibility is taught.
Wait, really? I'm curious to see the stats on this. I don't see many stats in general on black middle class households, they're an overlooked population.

Wait, really? I'm curious to see the stats on this. I don't see many stats in general on black middle class households, they're an overlooked population.

Although a small sample size, I can look at my neighborhood and people I went to school with to tell you that what I stated is true.

I told you that I grew up in a middle-class neighborhood.

A lot of my homies from the neighborhood went to prison for years, or just out here living life doing whatever.

Shit, I knew a principal's son who did 7-years in prison for armed-robbery because he started to roll with the wrong crew.

I knew another principal's son who was a knucklehead back in the day. Not sure what he is doing now though.

I could give a few more similar examples, which is not good.

Back