• Yes, that's involuntary manslaughter

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
Incase you're not familiar with the case that's going on here's a run down.

• Michelle Carter (girlfriend), 20, was charged with the involuntary manslaughter of Conrad Roy III (boyfriend), 18, who killed himself in July 2014
  • When he told Carter, then 17, that didn't know what to do about the regrets he had, she said 'Take your life?'
  • She sent him lists of ways he could kill himself when he was down, court heard: 'Hang yourself, jump off a building, stab yourself'
  • At one point she suggested hanging because 'If you do it right you die instantly because your neck snaps'
  • She also promised to make sure his family wouldn't become depressed after his death, saying they 'will understand and accept it'

Roy was found dead in his pickup truck in a store parking lot in Fairhaven in July 2014; Carter, now 20 faces a charge of involuntary manslaughter.

The pair communicated through texts and phone calls, and rarely saw each other in person even though they lived just 35 miles apart.

In one message before his death, Roy texted Carter that 'I keep regretting the past it's getting me upset,' her response was: 'Take your life?'

In another, she wrote: 'Hang yourself, jump off a building, stab yourself idk there's a lot of ways.'

As the days got closer to Roy's death, Carter's tone began to change as she seemingly became annoyed that he had not killed himself.

When he offers up reasons not to commit suicide, she appears to encourage him to give in and take his life.

At one point Roy wrote: 'Like no I would be happy if they had no guilt about it. because I have a bad feeling tht this is going to create a lot of depression between my parents/sisters.'

She replied: 'Everyone will be sad for a while, but they will get over it and move on. They won't be in depression I won't let that happen.

'They know how sad you are and they know that you're doing this to be happy, and I think they will understand and accept it. They'll always carry u in their hearts.'

In the final days before his death, Carter repeatedly admonished him for not going through with suicide attempts.

In one message she says: 'The time is right and you're ready, you just need to do it! You can't keep living this way.

'You just need to do it like you did last time and not think about it and just do it babe. You can't keep doing this every day.'

she pressured him into it. the freedom of speech ends when it directly causes grievous harm.

lock that trashbox up.

When a rapper says "fuck the police" and a kid goes shoots a policeman, is the freedom of speech ended? Is the rapper held responsible?

When a rapper says "fuck the police" and a kid goes shoots a policeman, is the freedom of speech ended? Is the rapper held responsible?
did the rapper directly contact at-risk individuals, walk them thru the process of getting a gun n how to shoot 1? if so, yes.

there's a difference between generalized statements n individually pressuring and bullying sum1 until they take their life.

the freedom of speech was used to commit a crime by proxy. she indirectly killed him. he wasn't mentally/emotionally all there n she used that to manipulate him into it.

did the rapper directly contact at-risk individuals, walk them thru the process of getting a gun n how to shoot 1? if so, yes.

there's a difference between generalized statements n individually pressuring and bullying sum1 until they take their life.

the freedom of speech was used to commit a crime by proxy. she indirectly killed him. he wasn't mentally/emotionally all there n she used that to manipulate him into it.

I don't think you know how freedom of speech works maam

Freedom of speech doesn't work in criminal cases like this because they can prove that if it had not been for her speech he would still be alive.

This is why the lawyer chose to use a judge instead of a jury, cuz too many people will use feelings when making the decision instead of going by the law.

I don't think you know how freedom of speech works maam
the way it's enforced varies. it isn't a freedom that has a universal consensus cuz there r other crimes that overlap with expressions of speech.

that's why with the freedom of speech n the criminality of hate speech r always at odds. in every case where ppl report either hate speech or a hate crime that's distinguished by what's said (like assault + a tirade of slurs), the defense always tries to have the verbal statements separated from the action.

it isn't black n white, word to @AP21.

its why the freedom of speech isn't fully protected by employment law. many ppl have lost the claim to unfair dismissal cuz of shit they've said. Milo Yiannopaulos, who's been relying on the freedom of speech for most of his public career (used it to get away with harassing Leslie Jones), lost his book deal cuz he defended “relationships in which those older men help those young boys to discover who they are.”

freedom of speech aint an absolute.

Nah, she directly responsible

Wasn't shit freedom of speech about it.

She didn't spit KYS shit into a crowd, where a passerby decided to say fuck it I'm done and checked

She was in intimate conversations's with bruh and not only encouraged him to do it, showed him ways to do, and worse got pissed that he was taking so long.

She deserve every year she get plus 10.

You niggas some sadistic ppl yo

the way it's enforced varies. it isn't a freedom that has a universal consensus cuz there r other crimes that overlap with expressions of speech.

that's why with the freedom of speech n the criminality of hate speech r always at odds. in every case where ppl report either hate speech or a hate crime that's distinguished by what's said (like assault + a tirade of slurs), the defense always tries to have the verbal statements separated from the action.

it isn't black n white, word to @AP21.

its why the freedom of speech isn't fully protected by employment law. many ppl have lost the claim to unfair dismissal cuz of shit they've said. Milo Yiannopaulos, who's been relying on the freedom of speech for most of his public career (used it to get away with harassing Leslie Jones), lost his book deal cuz he defended “relationships in which those older men help those young boys to discover who they are.”

freedom of speech aint an absolute.

Losing a book deal isn't the same b, a company can stop dealing with you for any reason. Being held responsible for murder due to something you said is completely different.

412CC31E00000578-4578282-image-a-61_1496783479609.jpg

She was sending him back to back texts asking him why he hadn't done it n tryna motivate him to do it. She put effort into it. She didn't say some shit then find that he'd ran with it. She put concerted effort into finessing his life away from him.

Nah, she directly responsible

Wasn't shit freedom of speech about it.

She didn't spit KYS shit into a crowd, where a passerby decided to say fuck it I'm done and checked

She was in intimate conversations's with bruh and not only encouraged him to do it, showed him ways to do, and worse got pissed that he was taking so long.

She deserve every year she get plus 10.

You niggas some sadistic ppl yo

She made him do it?

If I tell u to kys, did I kill u? NO , u killed u. It was your decision.

T
412CC31E00000578-4578282-image-a-61_1496783479609.jpg

She was sending him back to back texts asking him why he hadn't done it n tryna motivate him to do it. She put effort into it. She didn't say some shit then find that he'd ran with it. She put concerted effort into finessing his life away from him.

Already said this in the OP, but ty

Losing a book deal isn't the same b, a company can stop dealing with you for any reason. Being held responsible for murder due to something you said is completely different.
that was an example, not an equivalence. I used that only to show that freedom of speech is one of the legal rights we have that are limited by the presence of other laws.

and a company can't stop dealing with you for any reason after a contract is signed. employment law usually says that when u sign the contract, depending on policies (that aren't at odds with ur state's laws) that's when you're protected, unless u violate a clause. the company incurs risks by violating that contract. its what entitles ppl to severance pay vs nothing sometimes.

it is completely different but again, that was just an example on the subjective enforcement of the freedom of speech. the freedom of speech is at odds with other laws like I said, like hate speech for example.

Back