Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Should prisoners be allowed to vote?

I’m conflicted on this. I agree that if you pay taxes you should be able to vote. At the same time I’m worried conflicted felons vote will be bought.
After a certain period of time after you rejoin society depending on what you was incarcerated for you should regain voting rights

Ive totally divested from this system. I touched on this in another thread:

“I dont vote because I dont want to know I voted for dems/repubs that create policies that railroad communities of color, funnel us into prisons, disarm us, abuse us, block upward mobility, destabilize brown and black countries, increase socioeconomic exclusion of the poor and manufacture crime and maintain and stabilize concentrated poverty.

is not voting irresponsible in some regard? sure

but the fact remains that you all have a hand in the suffering of someone when you vote. you may never see them, talk to them, know them but you played a part in someones continual decay in this society, you reinforced generational harm.

not to mention yall dont even research the ppl you vote for. nearly half of you had no clue on who you voted for. what were the plans for change? do you even hold the ppl already in office accountable?

also your only civic engagement in society is voting. you dont supprt grassroot organizations, you dont help black and brown youth, you turn your noses up at the homeless, you debate whether the lgbtqia deserve basic human rights, you berate single mothers on governement assistance and so on and so forth.

its all a flim flamsy sham.

Idc about a Black agenda because thats as imaginary as fairies and warlocks in this country.

i just wish folks put less emphasis on this electoral horseshit and more emphasis on actually helping and empowering ppl in your everyday life”
Do you at least vote locally, mayoral, council, school board, etc?

I think it should depend on the crime.
Murder, rape, arson….strong armed robbery
And maybe not some white collar shit…..

I’m honestly not sure

That's kind of a wild take since rapists, robbers and arsonists don't usually make or vote for laws that would make that shit legal but so-called "white-collar" criminals have been looting and influencing our whole system since it began.

If you believe they should, it should depend. They're locked up in a place isolated from society, so does it make sense that they hold sway over real world, civil policy that doesn't affect them in the bubble they're occupying? Wouldn't that in a sense be like a foreigner in a different country being allowed to vote here?

This argument applies for a prisoner serving a super long sentence, maybe not for someone who'll be out in a reasonable time. The latter still has some stake in society. Like a person coming out in a year or two who has a recent path to carve out for themself in the real world.

I'm taking the harder line though... prison is a place where liberties go to die. They had their chance to enjoy freedom and civility but the consequences of their actions denies them at least some of the privileges the rest of us have. It's far more important that they're allowed education and career training to rehabilitate them and facilitate their road back into society. Once they're out, they can serve a proper purpose, which would include partaking in the democratic process as a free citizen.

if convicted felons can hold political positions like congressman, senator or president etc.. then they should also be allowed to vote if theyve served their time imo

I think one downside or possibly upside depending on the circumstances is that if prisoners could vote, mayors and DA's would only be lasting one season.

You would be essentially creating a galvanized voting block with one common enemy and they don't even have to go to work on election day.

Back