Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Should prisoners be allowed to vote?

Yeah as long as they're American.

Most people in prison are there because of nonviolent drug offenses. If they could vote, those idiotic laws would change a lot faster.

They gotta pay taxes while they're locked up too but they just usually don't make enough to go over the taxable threshold because they get paid slave wages.

All citizens are supposed to have a right to vote. Period.

According to the 13th Amendment they are legally slaves...

like you said, the jail system is weaponized against minorities to keep them as slaves...

and it's prison for profit, so the rich still making money off of slave labor.

and its amendment protected...

reform should have been come up....if this the question that gets it started so be it..

them men ain't slaves, many of them are wrongfully convicted....give them their freedom and their rights...

I wana say no while in prison but at the same time some foul shit be happening to prisoners that they have no recourse for....because they're in prison. They should be able to vote on things that directly affect them and have a voice when issues of mistreatment come up.

The book The New Jim Crow explains this no vote rule to keep minorities locked in a lower class with no upward mobility... Which increases the likelihood of being imprisoned again, and feeding the profit prison system. Ex cons can't find jobs and can't even vote..these folks should be able to vote.

who cares honestly?

im not a felon and i dont vote

i dont see the issue with giving humans facing incarceration the right to vote

america is ass backwards

this shouldnt even be up for debate and those facing incarceration shouldnt been stripped of this right in the first place.

whoever decided this was dumb but then again locking ppl in cages for 23 hrs of the day is inherently violent and dumb soooo here we are

who cares honestly?

im not a felon and i dont vote

i dont see the issue with giving humans facing incarceration the right to vote

I would think people who take voting seriously would care... lol

Any reason(s) in particular you don't vote? I would have thought from the posts I've seen from you, that you might have seen some value in getting people that look and think similarly to yourself into political positions/positions of power

Last edited:
I would think people who take voting seriously would care... lol

Any reason(s) in particular you don't vote? I would have thought from the posts I've seen from you, that you might have seen some value in getting people that look and think like similarly to yourself into political positions/positions of power

Ive totally divested from this system. I touched on this in another thread:

“I dont vote because I dont want to know I voted for dems/repubs that create policies that railroad communities of color, funnel us into prisons, disarm us, abuse us, block upward mobility, destabilize brown and black countries, increase socioeconomic exclusion of the poor and manufacture crime and maintain and stabilize concentrated poverty.

is not voting irresponsible in some regard? sure

but the fact remains that you all have a hand in the suffering of someone when you vote. you may never see them, talk to them, know them but you played a part in someones continual decay in this society, you reinforced generational harm.

not to mention yall dont even research the ppl you vote for. nearly half of you had no clue on who you voted for. what were the plans for change? do you even hold the ppl already in office accountable?

also your only civic engagement in society is voting. you dont supprt grassroot organizations, you dont help black and brown youth, you turn your noses up at the homeless, you debate whether the lgbtqia deserve basic human rights, you berate single mothers on governement assistance and so on and so forth.

its all a flim flamsy sham.

Idc about a Black agenda because thats as imaginary as fairies and warlocks in this country.

i just wish folks put less emphasis on this electoral horseshit and more emphasis on actually helping and empowering ppl in your everyday life”

Ive totally divested from this system. I touched on this in another thread:

“I dont vote because I dont want to know I voted for dems/repubs that create policies that railroad communities of color, funnel us into prisons, disarm us, abuse us, block upward mobility, destabilize brown and black countries, increase socioeconomic exclusion of the poor and manufacture crime and maintain and stabilize concentrated poverty.

is not voting irresponsible in some regard? sure

but the fact remains that you all have a hand in the suffering of someone when you vote. you may never see them, talk to them, know them but you played a part in someones continual decay in this society, you reinforced generational harm.

not to mention yall dont even research the ppl you vote for. nearly half of you had no clue on who you voted for. what were the plans for change? do you even hold the ppl already in office accountable?

also your only civic engagement in society is voting. you dont supprt grassroot organizations, you dont help black and brown youth, you turn your noses up at the homeless, you debate whether the lgbtqia deserve basic human rights, you berate single mothers on governement assistance and so on and so forth.

its all a flim flamsy sham.

Idc about a Black agenda because thats as imaginary as fairies and warlocks in this country.

i just wish folks put less emphasis on this electoral horseshit and more emphasis on actually helping and empowering ppl in your everyday life”

I can understand how someone could get to that viewpoint... can't say I agree all the way tho.

If you took that stance with everything you would just be living in a cave somewhere and say fuck being involved with anything lol.

That's like saying yeah naw I cant buy a Pc/Mac... and fuck having a cellphone cuz of all the bullshit those companies do in order to make those products.
Yeah naw im not gonna buy a soda cuz of their practices on getting the sugar cane or corn syrup and all that to make the product.

Sure those are admirable stances to take.... realistic tho?? Not so much. I don't know If I can fully agree with someone taking the moral stance to say "yeah I can feel comfortable with my stance on not voting so I can say I don't take the blame for any bad shit that they may/may not do"....

when by you not voting.... someone far worse may get into office and cause far more damage...

People's civic engagement isn't only voting tho... that's what it is for a lot of folks tho.. the bare minimum.. but there's plenty of people out there trying to hold these politicians accountable outside of just casting their ballot.

What would it take you to get re-engaged in the voting process at this point?

Of course they should be able to vote. I dunno what makes niggas in prison any less a part of our country as any other person. If you are a citizen, you should have the right to vote.

Back