Welcome To aBlackWeb

Senior Democrat Elijah Cummings dies from health complications at 68

Yeah politics is a dirty game. Sometimes I wonder if it's even possible to come out of it untarnished. I guess Bernie Sanders has sort of done that, but as far as I know he's never held an executive office. That's a little different than being a senator.

Man, Baltimore put on today...

Like, he wasn't Malcolm.... He wasn't Martin......

But he was important to black people.

ESPECIALLY black people in Baltimore....

Do y'all know this niggaz memorial is still going on!!!????!!!!

Like state workers were off all day, and alllllll of them motherfuckers came thru,

Every political entity technically l recognizable came thru...

Like....I don't know about the rest of the country ......

But Baltimore is treating this shit like we just lost one of the greatest people in the history of the world. And I'm feeling the fuck outta that shit..

Fly high Elijah.... Fly high

I don't really care if no one else cares.

But I'm proud of my city today.

Like if no one else knows, Baltimore knows we lost a great black leader.

And in a period where everyone complains we lack strong black leaders, Baltimore is making sure folk know that they still exist.

Cummings To Be First African-American Lawmaker To Lie In State At Capitol

Thousands are expected to pay their respects to the late Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) Thursday as he becomes the first African-American lawmaker to lie in state at the Capitol.

Per Politico, his casket will also be placed near a statue of Rosa Parks just feet away from a bust of Jefferson Davis, symbolic of the race battles Cummings devoted much of his life to fighting.

Many high profile Democrats are slated to speak, including former President Barack Obama, former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA). Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC), an unexpectedly close friend of Cummings despite the men’s polar opposite politics, will also speak.

His funeral will be held at his church in Baltimore on Friday. The legendary congressman died on October 17 of longstanding health problems.

Back