Welcome To aBlackWeb

Ring Camera Hacker Uses Home Security System to Spew Racial Slurs at Florida Family

Chi-Town B

Mod Squad

Florida family has shared footage of the moment their Ring security system was accessed without permission and used to spew racial slurs last weekend.

The incident occurred on Sunday in Cape Coral, with the culprit forcing a loud alarm to blare throughout the home before verbally taunting two parents, NBC-2 reported. The hacker, who sounds young, makes references to their son despite him not appearing in the frame.

"Is your kid a baboon, like the monkey?" the person can be heard saying, introducing himself as if it was part of a streamed video prank or podcast.

The clip shows the hacker asking the parents to search for a website, which they refuse.

He says "I will leave you and your family alone, or I could do this" before turning on the alarm.

As the batteries are pulled from the device, he can be heard trying—and failing—to read a URL.

One of the victims, Josefine Brown, told NBC-2 the person responsible was potentially looking into the home for longer than just Sunday. "They had been watching us because that's the only way you know I have a son and the only way you know what he looks like," she said

Ring, which is owned by Amazon, did not immediately respond to request for comment. Its range of products connect to a home Wi-Fi connection and a mobile application.

The couple told NBC-2 the surveillance firm told them its security team "identified that the email address and password of one of your external accounts was exposed in a data breach" and noted someone "may have used this method to attempt to gain access to your Ring account."

It wasn't clear if the credentials were linked to the Ring app or home Wi-Fi. There is nothing to suggest that Ring itself was hacked or compromised in any way.

The parents said they were asked to reset their credentials, indicating that the company believes password reuse may have played a role in the reported camera system break-in.

Ring says its customers can add an extra layer of protection by using two-factor authentication. If enabled, users have to provide two separate password codes when logging into their accounts, meaning if one is stolen or hacked the account has a better chance of staying protected.

Matt Walmsley, a director at cybersecurity and artificial intelligence firm Vectra, told Newsweek password integrity "seems to be a significant factor in this disturbing case."

"A compromised account would allow the hacker to remotely use Ring's built-in two-way chat feature and access all Ring devices associated to that account," he said. "It's relatively trivial for hackers to gain sets of breached usernames and passwords and test them out on a vast number of online services in the hope that people have reused the same password in multiple places."
Last month, a researchers from cybersecurity firm Bitdefender revealed they had found a flaw in a Ring product that could let a hacker steal a homeowner's Wi-Fi credentials. A spokesperson told PC Mag at the time an "automatic security update" had been rolled out to resolve the issue.

But it's not the first time a home security system has been exploited.

In January, a Google Nest user living in Illinois complained after his setup was compromised and used to speak to their 7-month-old child and spew racial slurs, including the N-word. Google told CBS at the time user passwords had been "exposed through breaches on other websites."

The scope of hacked passwords in the wild is staggering. HaveIBeenPwned, a system operated by security expert Troy Hunt that lets users check if their information has been stolen in one of the many data breaches in recent years, now shows more than 9 billion hijacked accounts.

A Ring spokesperson told Newsweek: "Customer trust is important to us and we take the security of our devices seriously. While we are still investigating this issue and are taking appropriate steps to protect our devices based on our investigation, we are able to confirm this incident is in no way related to a breach or compromise of Ring's security.

"Due to the fact that customers often use the same username and password for their various accounts and subscriptions, bad actors often reuse credentials stolen or leaked from one service on other services. As a precaution, we highly and openly encourage all Ring users to enable two-factor authentication on their Ring account, add Shared Users (instead of sharing login credentials), use strong passwords, and regularly change their passwords."

i got nervous when spotify commercials started hacking my gps

like i'm running google maps of android auto, and the commercial yells

"hey google, give me the directions to the closet Chinese restaurant"

so what does my car do.....stp giving me directions to where i'm driving and starts redirecting to some fucking chinese....

:smh:

I knew it was only a matter of time.

Back in the mid 00's the thing to do when you were bored was to search google for network cameras and webcams using terms that would find their homepages or login pages. 90% of them used manufacturer default passwords, if there was even a password set up. You could be sitting there on the camera looking at an airport runway, street cameras, or cameras inside homes and on that shit you could see some of anything.

This is just the new version of some old shit.

Unless your child is an infant/small child or a special needs child, I can't fathom a reason to have a camera in their rooms

I don't have a camera yet, but all I'm gonna have is the doorbell joint and something to monitor the perimeter

I was gifted a Google home and still haven't set it up

I don't want or will not be getting any of that shit. Crazy to me how in the name of technology so many people are willing to give up the little bit of privacy that we still have left.

Won a google home at a party gifted it to somebody who in to that type of stuff as a birthday gift cause I was never going to use it.

I don't want or will not be getting any of that shit. Crazy to me how in the name of technology so many people are willing to give up the little bit of privacy that we still have left.

Won a google home at a party gifted it to somebody who in to that type of stuff as a birthday gift cause I was never going to use it.

Won one a a Xmas party last year.

Still sitting in my closet

Unless your child is an infant/small child or a special needs child, I can't fathom a reason to have a camera in their rooms

I don't have a camera yet, but all I'm gonna have is the doorbell joint and something to monitor the perimeter

One of the most frequently found cameras open to the internet used to be baby cams. Shit was crazy how many people stupidly exposed their baby cam to the public.

Even then I wouldn't do it

Even then I wouldn't do it
I mean, sometimes, it might just be helpful to have that

But you also gotta do your damn research on how to protect your feed

I don't even have my wifi network visible. I have to manually add everyone's phones who comes to my house

In home cameras is one of the biggest things that helped get Aaron Hernandez. Shit ain't even about crimes by the home owner.

Security company watching and taping you spontaneously fucking your wife in kitchen or on the living room sofa.

Just read an article about how some security companies are making pacts with police to give them the videos of the things your outdoor camera records without the owners permission but then ask for the owners permission after the police already have the video.

I'll pass.

I still be weary about Alexa's green ring light that comes on from time to time. Shyt be fuccin wit my head sometimes.

Be wondering if that muthafucca is listening to my convos...or...my s/o spying on me while I'm home and she at work. I don't like that shyt

I still be weary about Alexa's green ring light that comes on from time to time. Shyt be fuccin wit my head sometimes.

Be wondering if that muthafucca is listening to my convos...or...my s/o spying on me while I'm home and she at work. I don't like that shyt

That's why I don't fuck with none of that shit.

Peep it, this just happened literally yesterday afternoon:

Our freezer chest went out overnight. Yesterday we're looking for a new one, but the finances are shaky 'cause of the holiday coming up. Wife was in the bathroom with her phone and we got to discussing our options. I remembered I got approved for credit from this online shop a couple of years ago and I logged in to see if it was still good: it was, and they had a freezer for sale. Shit was overly expensive but at this point I don't care. I brought it up in the bathroom, her phone was on the counter next to her, and we discussed that as an option, but we needed an interim solution until the other one got there. I left out the bathroom to go call this appliance store across town to see if I could get approved for credit.

When she came out of the bathroom she showed me her phone: Her Facebook feed had spontaneously shifted all of it's ads to the very website I was talking to her about. The ads on google all had shit about freezer chests and upright freezers and whatnot.

I swear if I could figure out a way to do it reasonably I'm going back to a feature phone.

In home cameras is one of the biggest things that helped get Aaron Hernandez. Shit ain't even about crimes by the home owner.

Security company watching and taping you spontaneously fucking your wife in kitchen or on the living room sofa.

Just read an article about how some security companies are making pacts with police to give them the videos of the things your outdoor camera records without the owners permission but then ask for the owners permission after the police already have the video.

I'll pass.
Was coming in to say that. I thought ring camera was a good idea till that article dropped.

Ring is a troubled company. Last week a panel of five United States senators sent a letter to Amazon chief Jeff Bezos that expressed concern with Ring’s struggles with information security and habit of sharing its users’ videos not only with law enforcement but also with its Ukraine-based research team. The senators wanted to know how Ring encrypts user data (if at all) and how its internal security audits work. This is all happening after unsettling reports that Ring doorbells exposed users’ home wi-fi passwords to hackers and that Ring employees spy on unwitting users.

Using the Ring app automatically enrolls you in Neighbors, and there’s no way to opt-out. You don’t have to post any frightening crime reports to the Neighbors feed, but if you want to use any Ring hardware, you have to be involved in the service...
That leads right into problem number two. Once you’re enrolled in Neighbors—and remember, you have to be if you’re using any Ring hardware—your videos or data could be shared with law enforcement agencies when requested. This sort of thing wouldn’t be terribly different than any other tech company’s practice of giving cops user data if presented with a warrant, but as Motherboard reported earlier this year, Ring has hundreds of once-secret partnerships with police forces around the country, partnerships that gave cops access to a “portal” where they could access video from Ring cameras in exchange for providing Ring with free advertising.

These police partnerships were not only under wraps but also awfully deep. The Motherboard report reads, “In order to partner with Ring, police departments must also assign officers to Ring-specific roles that include a press coordinator, a social media manager, and a community relations coordinator.”..In fact, everything that partner police organizations said about Ring was either written or approved by Ring.

According to this revealing feature Los Angeles Times feature from 2017, Ring’s founder Jamie Siminoff entertains some weird sort of militaristic fantasy at the office

Back