Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll (Rd2) King of RnB: James Brown vs Sam Cooke

Better Artist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the difference?

just my humble opinion but Funk has a more distinct sound. I would think R&B has more harmonies, ballads, smooth sounds to it. And it incorporates blues into it of course.

That's how I always interpreted it in my head anyway. I'm open to the discussion tho

just my humble opinion but Funk has a more distinct sound. I would think R&B has more harmonies, ballads, smooth sounds to it. And it incorporates blues into it of course.

That's how I always interpreted it in my head anyway. I'm open to the discussion tho

As far as I'm concerned, there's Rock and Soul.

Rock is what Black people created, but White people play it nowadays. It has a dissonant sound. It's darker and gloomy.

Soul is what Black people created and still play it nowadays. There are subgenera like Funk, R&B, Disco but it's consonant and makes you feel good.

As far as I'm concerned, there's Rock and Soul.

Rock is what Black people created, but White people play it nowadays. It has a dissonant sound. It's darker and gloomy.

Soul is what Black people created and still play it nowadays. There are subgenera like Funk, R&B, Disco but it's consonant and makes you feel good.

Funk and R&B have distinct sounds tho do they not?

Most consider "Cold Sweat" the first official Funk song. But "Papa's got a brand new bag" and "I feel good" have funk elements imo.

But I see what Inori's saying. A lot of his classics are in the funk vein. With that said, there's others in the tournament who are more in the "soul" vein, then you got mfs like Prince who isn't soley RnB either.

Ima be honest im not sure wtf the difference between Soul and R&B is lol. That shit is the same to me personally.

There is a clear distinction between R&B and Funk tho

Ima be honest im not sure wtf the difference between Soul and R&B is lol. That shit is the same to me personally.

There is a clear distinction between R&B and Funk tho

Soul is a part of Rnb. Kinda like how Trap is HipHop or soft rock is rock. Funk is a part of RnB as well, it's just a subgenre.

And yea, I just made all that shit up
tenor.gif

You can go on forever trying to categorize music.

But I think this tournament is about Black music from 1970-present, not Hip Hop but music.

And for the record, Hip Hop can be music but not always. If you sample a record and the beat loops repeatedly with no changes, that's not music. It's Hip Hop, but it's not music. Rapping over a beat that doesn't change isn't music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back