Welcome To aBlackWeb

Netflix Raising Dion (Season 2)

That's the direction they're going with? I think I would have liked it better if there weren't more powered people and he wasn't going to face off against some evil villain

My son is all into this. He claimed we watched the 1st season together but I don't remember lol. But we 3 episodes into season 2 and it's aight. And I don't really feel like I missed much from season 1.

It's a cute kid show. Acting is not horrible but I feel the story line could be better and more captivating.

I’m only three episodes in and lemme explain why. In one of the episodes they introduced racism to the show. Now usually on a well written show that’s syfi..you have to decide how realistic the world is around the characters so you have a base of where you expect shit to go.

So in a show like Static Shock, just like the comics, Richies dad was a racist, it set certain tone with how the other characters react to static more a less. It set a certain level of realism when it’s not in-depth on the super hero shit.

So..In Rasing Dion they set the tone that the principal was racist. Not the teacher, or coach, or cop, but the principal of the school is racist. That’s a pretty big pawn to put that label on and it sets a pretty harsh tone to the world that exists, even tho it’s a super hero show.

Now, in that same episode, the black teacher who is as soul brother black as you can get with his look. Straight up resigns to the power of the principal. Calmly asks if the kid hit him, kid says I don’t know, principal says basically I don’t care and it’s like..welp I tried. No fight, not politic, no inspirational message for the young man cause of this..just it is what it is.

Meanwhile, the white guy, who is the mentor for the kid, not only inspires, and motivates the kid. Takes the kid To a court where the folks on the court are running a 32 or 21. They break their game to let this white guy who randomly shows up at a court with a black kid. Let’s the kid who barely had control over his powers, now had the ability to nothing but net basketballs..but at the end, takes the time out to let the kid know he has skills

So..in one instance, you set reality and in another you say fuck the reality we just set. Like fuck it, it’s a kids show..aight granted..then why halfass address racism to begin with.

In a world where a lil kid has super powers..why not just let that be a fantasy world where we acknowledge the kids race but not layer it with the reality of racism.

I dislike the show cause it’s lip service, poorly written, badly acted, and I think the first Netflix show with a black kid as a lead..as a super powered kid no less, deserves better. That’s like making Spawn a series and casting Bokeem Woodbine as Spawn while Henry Cavil gets to be cast as Geralt in the witcher

Ion like the whole idea that black people as a whole just accept bullshit like this. This show is chitlins..hog moss, neck bone..we deserve steak and lobster

Back