Welcome To aBlackWeb

Racists are in their feelings over Kap’s new Nike ad

I’ve thought for a while he should do one big interview just to clear shit up and state his opinion on things.

I’ve supported him from the start of all this, but it’s been 3 years now of people putting words in his mouth and the public hearing almost nothing from him.

We’ll see if he does it.

Cowboys DE Robert Quinn does not raise a fist during national anthem prior to debut with Dallas

A lot was made of whether or not DE Robert Quinn would raise his first during the national anthem prior to the Cowboys' Week 3 game vs. the Miami Dolphins.

Quinn elected not to raise his fist, instead just standing on the sideline.

The defensive end started raising a fist in 2016 to support then-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Quinn, along with Eric Reid of the Panthers and his former teammate in Miami Kenny Stills, who is now with Houston, either raised a fist or took a knee to bring awareness to social injustice to people of color.

Before playing in his first game with Dallas after serving a two-game suspension due to violating the NFL's performance enhancing drugs policy, Quinn noted that the message behind the protest had gotten lost.

Instead of focusing on how he and others were protesting for such issues like police brutality, bail reform and creating jobs in lower economic communities, it turned into political debates about whether the act of protesting during the anthem was appropriate.

"You all took the message and made it into what you all wanted to make it," Quinn said this week. "Now, I could sit there and beat this over the head, beat this over the head. Again, I'm not going back writing the story. At the end of the day, y'all know what's being done. Y'all see what's being done about it. So whether I can sit and talk about it, I see how people move. So I'd rather me keeping myself, I handle my business the way I handle it."

NFL invites teams to Colin Kaepernick workout Saturday

NFL clubs were informed Tuesday that a private workout will be held for free-agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick on Saturday in Atlanta, according to a copy of a memo obtained by ESPN.

The session will include on-field work and an interview. All teams are invited to attend, and video of both the workout and the interview will be made available to them.

Several clubs have inquired about Kaepernick's current football readiness. He has been out of the NFL since 2016, the year he began protesting police brutality and racial injustice by kneeling during the pregame national anthem.

In the memo, the league said: "Earlier this year, we discussed some possible steps with his representatives and they recently emphasized his level of preparation and that he is ready to work out for clubs and be interviewed by them. We have therefore arranged this opportunity for him to work out, and for all clubs to have the opportunity to evaluate his current readiness and level of interest in resuming his NFL career."

As Kaepernick suggested in the tweet, the proposed workout on Saturday came as a surprise to the QB and his representatives.

Sources told ESPN that Kaepernick and his reps weren't alerted until Tuesday morning. When notified, the quarterback's reps asked for the workout to be on a Tuesday, which typically is when all NFL workouts take place, since head coaches and general managers can more easily attend. This Saturday, almost half of the NFL teams will be traveling to games, and most of the rest of the coaches and players will be heading to their team hotels to prepare for their games the next day.

But the NFL said the workout had to be on a Saturday, sources told ESPN. When the league was asked if it could be on the following Saturday -- by making it this Saturday, the 32 teams only have about three days to make a decision on whether to attend and who to send -- the NFL said no and didn't provide a reason why.

Sources told ESPN that the NFL league office also said that none of the 32 teams had been made aware of the workout prior to the memo being sent. When Kaepernick's representatives asked if a team or teams had asked for the workout, they explained that the NFL league office said, "We can't tell you that."

Because of the shroud of mystery around the workout and because none of the 32 NFL teams had been informed prior to Tuesday, Kaepernick's representatives began to question the legitimacy of the workout and process and whether it was just a PR stunt by the league, sources told ESPN. The NFL league office was told that because GMs and head coaches make personnel decisions, especially as important as the quarterback position is, that they wanted to see a list of personnel executives and coaches who would be attending the workout.

As it stands now, the ball is in the NFL's court to submit the list of personnel executives and coaches who will attend on Saturday.

One source from an NFC team told ESPN's Josina Anderson that the team will review whether to attend the Kaepernick workout on Wednesday morning. "We have nothing to lose by attending Kaepernick's workout, but I still think for us it would just be an information-gathering trip," the source said. Another source told Anderson that there is interest in the Dallas Cowboys organization to send at least one representative to the workout.

Kaepernick, who turned 32 on Nov. 3, opted out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers in March 2017, following the season in which he first began the protests.

Within the past two years, Kaepernick and former Niners teammate Eric Reidfiled grievances against the league through the NFL Players Association, alleging collusion among team owners to deny jobs to both players. In February, it was announced that both players had reached a settlement with the NFL. Terms were not disclosed.

Reid, a safety, is in the midst of his second season with the Carolina Panthers.

Last month, Kaepernick's representatives said he has been "working out five days a week, for three years, in preparation to play again" but that the opportunity hasn't presented itself.

Reading the details of that workout and how the NFL usually schedules workouts. They still fucking Kaep over. I understand why Kaep won't let it go but the nfl ain't fucking with him they just trying to look good and know most people will never look at the details of what they doing and did.

Reid: NFL's Kap workout 'feels like a PR stunt'

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers safety Eric Reid on Wednesday called the workout the NFL scheduled for former San Francisco 49ers teammate Colin Kaepernick on Saturday in Atlanta "disingenuous.''

"At this point I'll believe it when I see it,'' said Reid, in 2016 the first player to join Kaepernick in taking a knee during the national anthem to protest social injustice. "At this point it feels like a PR stunt.''

Coaches for the Miami Dolphins, Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have said they expect to have a representative at the workout being held at the Falcons' practice facility. In addition, John Elway told 9News that the Denver Broncos will be represented and a Washington Redskins spokesman said that organization would be there. A source told ESPN's Ed Werder that the Cowboys also plan to be at the workout.

Reid reminded reporters that NFL head coaches and general managers typically are traveling with their team or with their team on Saturdays.

"What decision makers are going to be able to attend a workout?'' he said. "The other strange thing, I saw there was a report other teams were interested in Colin but they reached out to the league about it. That's strange.''

Reid said 'strange'' because most free agents or their agents are contacted directly by the team that is interested.

"They don't call the league,'' he said.

Reid has been one of Kaepernick's strongest advocates since they began kneeling during the anthem. They both filed grievances against the league, alleging collusion for not signing them to an NFL contract because of their protests.

They both reached settlements in February. Kaepernick has not been on an NFL roster since the 2016 season with Reid at San Francisco. Reid signed a one-year deal with the Panthers in late September of 2018 and during this past offseason signed a three-year deal worth up to $24 million.

He continues to kneel during the anthem.

Reid compared Kaepernick to Baltimore's Lamar Jackson, who is putting up MVP-like numbers with his passing and running this season. Even at 32, Reid insists Kaepernick can help a team.

"He has a rocket for an arm,'' he said. "He's tall [6-foot-4] so he can see over the pocket. And he's mobile. He's Lamar Jackson before Lamar Jackson. And he can still throw the ball.''

But Reid remains skeptical of the NFL's sincerity in scheduling the workout for Kaepernick.

"It's disingenuous,'' Reid said. "They want the appearance of giving Colin a chance, but they give him two hours notice and tell it has to be on a Saturday when they know decision makers are traveling. So is this real? We'll see.''

Reid said Kaepernick was told on Tuesday he had two to three hours to let the league know if he would attend the workout before the offer of the workout was released to the media.

Sources told ESPN that Kaepernick and his reps were alerted to the workout at 10 a.m. Tuesday, ahead of a 4 p.m. ET personnel notice that was sent to teams.

"They didn't budge on it,'' Reid said. "They said it's Saturday or no go.''

Sources told ESPN's Dan Graziano that the workout was also set up in response to an Oct. 10 statement by Kaepernick's representatives, who said they had received "little to no response" from the 32 NFL teams.

Carolina coach Ron Rivera deferred to general manager Marty Hurney when asked if the team would send a representative to the workout. Hurney did not immediately respond to messages.

Reid said he's been given no indication whether the Panthers would attend. He talked to owner David Tepper last week about giving Kaepernick a look after franchise quarterback Cam Newton (Lisfranc) was placed on injured reserve for the rest of the season.

"He communicated they weren't looking to add a veteran quarterback, but if they were they'd be interested,'' Reid said. "So we'll see if they send somebody to be there.''

Reid, who worked out with Kaepernick during the offseason, said the 2011 second-round pick by the 49ers has been staying in shape with a trainer in New York City. He wasn't sure who Kaepernick would throw to at Saturday's workout.

Asked why the tryout is being held now when 16 teams already have used backups this season, Reid replied: "Good question.''

"It's interesting how that happens every year, how the quarterback storyline progressively gets worse in the sense more starters are out,'' Reid said. "And yet, Colin has never gotten a chance.''

But Reid said it's not too late for the 32-year-old Kaepernick to make an impact in the NFL if this workout gets him that chance.

"He's in the prime of his career,'' Reid said. "He still has a cannon for an arm. He can still run. Too late for his career? No.''

Jerry Jones says Cowboys won’t send anyone to Colin Kaepernick’s workout

After word of Colin Kaepernick’s workout in Atlanta on Saturday first surfaced earlier this week, there was word that the Cowboys were going to be one of the teams planning to send a representative to watch the proceedings.

They weren’t among the 11 teams that the NFL announced on Thursday as committed to attend, however, and there’s good reason for that. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said during a Friday appearance on 105.3 The Fan that the team won’t be sending anyone for a first-hand look.

Back