Welcome To aBlackWeb

Racists are in their feelings over Kap’s new Nike ad

Trump: Kap should get job 'if he's good enough'

President Donald Trump said Friday that he would "love" to see Colin Kaepernick return to the NFL "if he's good enough."

The president was asked about Kaepernick during a meeting with the media outside of the White House. Kaepernick, who last played for the San Francisco 49ers in 2016, posted a video to Twitter and Instagram on Wednesday showing himself in a gym and saying he is "still ready" after two-plus seasons out of the NFL.

Asked about Kaepernick's return, President Trump said,: "Only if he's good enough. ... If he was good enough, they'd hire him. Why wouldn't he play if he was good enough.

"I think if he was good enough, I know the owners, I know Bob Kraft, I know so many of the owners, if he's good enough, they'd sign him," Trump said. "So if he's good enough, I know these people -- they would sign him in a heartbeat. They will do anything they can to win games.

"Frankly, I'd love to see Kaepernick come in, if he's good enough. But I don't want to see him come in because somebody thinks it's a good PR move. If he's good enough, he will be in."

Kaepernick drew national attention in 2016 when he sat, and later knelt, during the national anthem to protest racial injustice and police brutality in the United States. In the video released Wednesday, he was shown in a gym exercising, saying "5 a.m., five days a week. For three years. Still ready." The clip started with a countdown saying he'd been "denied work for 889 days."

In 2017, at a rally in Huntsville, Alabama, Trump criticized NFL players who protested during the national anthem, suggesting that team owners release the players. He said the protests were "hurting the game" and that fans who were offended should walk out of games. Trump did not mention Kaepernick or any other NFL players by name at the rally, but earlier in 2017, he took credit for the fact Kaepernick had not been signed.

Kaepernick opted out of his contract with the 49ers between the 2016 and 2017 seasons and has not been signed since. In October 2017, Kaepernick filed a grievance against the NFL under the collective bargaining agreement, alleging collusion against signing him to a contract. Both his grievance and that of current Carolina Panthers safety Eric Reid were settled in February, with the Wall Street Journal reporting they would receive less than $10 million total.

AP Source: Kaepernick ready to compete to play

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Colin Kaepernick is eager to prove he’s good enough to play in the NFL.

A person close to Kaepernick told The Associated Press on Friday: “Colin has always been prepared to compete at the highest level and is in the best shape of his life.” The person spoke anonymously because of the confidential nature of discussions with teams.

The 31-year-old Kaepernick hasn’t played since 2016 with the San Francisco 49ers. He helped start a wave of protests about social and racial injustice that season by kneeling during the national anthem at games. He drew strong criticism from President Donald Trump.

But Trump on Friday told reporters when asked if Kaepernick should play in the NFL: “Only if he’s good enough. I know the owners, I know Bob Kraft. They will do anything they can to win games.”

Kaepernick released a video earlier this week saying: “5 a.m. 5 days a week. For 3 years. Still Ready.”

The Philadelphia Eagles lost backup Nate Sudfeld to a broken left wrist suffered Thursday night, raising speculation the team would be in the market for an experienced quarterback. Sudfeld was scheduled for surgery, but coach Doug Pederson said it’s not a season-ending injury and the team was content with No. 3 quarterback Cody Kessler and rookie Clayton Thorson.

However, Eagles starting quarterback Carson Wentz has sustained season-ending injuries each of the past two seasons. Nick Foles led Philadelphia to four playoff wins in two years and was 2018 Super Bowl MVP, but signed an $88 million, four-year deal with Jacksonville in free agency.

Sudfeld has thrown 25 passes in the NFL. Kessler is 2-10 as a starter in three seasons with Cleveland and Jacksonville.

Kaepernick led the 49ers to consecutive NFC championship games in 2012-2013 and was 4-2 in the playoffs. He threw for 302 yards and one touchdown and ran for 62 yards and one score in a 34-31 loss to Baltimore in the 2013 Super Bowl.

The Ravens considered signing Kaepernick in the summer of 2017 when starting quarterback Joe Flacco was dealing with a back injury that would keep him out for the entire preseason. Owner Steve Bisciotti said he consulted with fans and the team ultimately passed.

Kaepernick met with Seattle a couple of years ago, but Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he should be a starter in the league and the team only wanted a backup for Russell Wilson.

Former 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said he has told teams who’ve asked him about Kaepernick that he’s a “great competitor” and he’ll “have a great career and be a great quarterback, win championships.”

The protests slowed down last season as the NFL made contributions to organizations chosen by players and promised more attention to social justice issues. Two players close to Kaepernick, Carolina’s Eric Reid and Miami’s Kenny Stills, continue to kneel.

While he has been away from the playing field, Kaepernick has become an advocate for social and racial justice and became the face of Nike’s “Just Do It” campaign.

The NFL in February settled a collusion grievance Kaepernick and Reid filed against the league. Reid, who played 13 games last season for the Panthers, signed a three-year contract with Carolina in February.

Coward azzz owners tho. Fucc that bottomline shyt SAS was spewin about.

These owners didn't allow fans or anybody keep them from hiring players who cheated via PED's, did other drugs, domestic abused, broke laws, etc. They wasn't concerned wit their bottomline then.

Sounds to me like a team wants him but they had to do a little PR to get him accepted again. Got Trump on the phone to get his acceptance. Kap put out the Instagram post. Everything's going according to plan.

He'll be on a team this season.

Will we question Kap if he doesn't kneel when he returns?

Reid and that Miami kid still fighting the good fight. It'll be a slap in their face if he don't.

Sounds to me like a team wants him but they had to do a little PR to get him accepted again. Got Trump on the phone to get his acceptance. Kap put out the Instagram post. Everything's going according to plan.

He'll be on a team this season.

Will we question Kap if he doesn't kneel when he returns?

Reid and that Miami kid still fighting the good fight. It'll be a slap in their face if he don't.

I thought Kap said he was still gonna kneel even if a team picks him up?

I don't know, I'm just speculating. But I would suspect any deal worked out with Trump and owners might involve no more kneeling.
I don't see how tho. Other players are still kneeling and obviously what they're kneeling has only gotten worse. Regardless of what white bigots say hes kneeling because of police brutality and if that hasn't changed i cant see how he'll stand for the anthem

Philly has zero competent QBs behind Wentz

Sudfield just broke his wrist

But their fan base will never let it happen

Popovich: Kaepernick did 'a very patriotic thing'

LOS ANGELES -- USA Basketball coach Gregg Popovich said what former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has done to bring light to social justice and racial inequality "was a very patriotic thing."

Popovich, the longtime coach of the San Antonio Spurs, has spoken multiple times in the past about Kaepernick, who drew national attention while with the Niners in 2016 when he knelt during the national anthem before games to protest racial oppression and police brutality. Popovich has said before that he believes Kaepernick will be revered in the future like other athletes who have stood and fought for social justice in the past.

Speaking after the U.S. team practice at the Los Angeles Lakers' practice facility on Tuesday, Popovich was asked about some of the divisiveness in the country today and about showing patriotism.

"Patriotism means a lot of things to different people," Popovich said. "There's people who are truly committed in that sense and people who are fake. The show of patriotism I think is a bit inappropriate and that is not something that I think we want to emulate. Because someone hugs a flag doesn't mean they're patriotic. Being a patriot is somebody that respects their country and understands that the best thing about our country is that we have the ability to fix things that have not come to fruition for a lot of people so far."

"All the promises in the beginning when the country was established is fantastic, but those goals have not been reached yet for a lot of people," Popovich continued. "So you can still be patriotic and understand that there still needs to be criticism and changes and more attention paid to those who do not have what other people do have, and that's where we've fallen short in a lot of different ways. Being a critic of those inequalities does not make you a non-patriot. It's what makes America great, that you can say those things and attack those things to make them better. That's what a lot of other countries don't have. You lose your freedom when you do that."

Popovich then praised Kaepernick, who last played for the 49ers in 2016 and said last week that he was "still ready" after more than two seasons out of the NFL.

"To negate that part of what we're able to do is ignorant on anybody's part who tries to make those people look unpatriotic," Popovich said. "Like a Kaepernick. That was a very patriotic thing he did. He cared about his country enough to fix some things that were obvious, that everybody knows about but does nothing about."

Colin Kaepernick talks about the police shooting that led him to protest during national anthem

Free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick revealed in a new interview that the 2015 shooting death of Mario Woods in San Francisco pushed him to protest police brutality and injustice, and led to his decision to kneel during the national anthem. The remarks were published online in the magazine Paper on Tuesday.

Kaepernick said he felt compelled to take action in response to Woods' death. Woods, 26, who was a suspect in a stabbing, was shot 20 times, including six times in the back, by five police officers in San Francisco's Bayview area. Kapernick, then a quarterback for the 49ers, told Paper he felt "loss, pain and anger."

He and his partner, radio personality Nessa, were inspired to do something about it — and came up with a plan for the Know Your Rights Camp, a youth-based initiative. "The discussion happened shortly after the execution of Mario Woods," he said.

Part of their mission is to help black and other minority youth "gain legal knowledge for navigating all-too-common violent encounters with police officers." They held the first session in the fall of 2016, around the same time Kaepernick first knelt during the national anthem.

Kaepernick also reflected in the interview on the struggles of the Black Panther movement five decades later. "That was over 50 years ago. And what has changed?" he asked, then answered his own question: "Oscar Grant, Rekia Boyd, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice," he said, listing names of people killed by police in recent years. "Laquan McDonald, Sandra Bland, Freddie Gray. The Panthers' demands are still alive today because the police are still killing us today."

The interview was published days after the NFL and Jay-Z's entertainment and sports representation company announced they are teaming up for events and social activism. Eric Reid, a friend and former teammate who protested alongside Kaepernick, slammed Jay-Z for the decision.

"Jay-Z claimed to be a supporter of Colin, he wore his jersey, he told people not to perform at the Super Bowl because of the treatment the NFL did to Colin, and now he's going to be a part-owner," Reid said Friday. "He's sounding despicable."

In 2017, Kaepernick and Reid filed a grievance against the NFL alleging the two remained unsigned because of collusion by owners following the kneeling protest. In February, the NFL and lawyers for Kaepernick and Reid reached a private settlement.

Kaepernick decided not to continue with the 49ers after the end of the 2016 season. However, he recently posted video on social media saying he is ready for his NFL return.

Back